Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

150-gal SA community

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: 150-gal SA community   Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:47 am

Here's yet another updated video of the 150-gallon. Orange head Tapajos geophagus, Bolivian rams, half-wild silver angels, some Bentosi tetras, black neons, and several small BN plecos. 

I had a real surge in algae when I placed a 48" LED fixture over the tank, with the black algae cropping up on the edges of the Anubias, and a definite boost in the hard green algae on the leaves. I removed the LED fixture and went back to a CF fixture (only 65w) on the right side, and a small LED fixture on the left, to see what happens with the algae, comparing each side. The dim lighting is responsible for the low quality of the video, and next time I'll park a bright fixture up there for better quality. 

This is what I have on the left side:  LED Fixture - Amazon , with 2 daisy-chained together, mounted inside the hood. If you're looking for inexpensive, water resistant LED fixtures that are versatile and can be connected and mounted anywhere, these are a great deal. 

I will have to get the details on the LED fixture I took OFF the tank, because I can't recall the specifics, except that I was using only one of them when the PAR rating indicated I needed two for this particular tank. Maybe if I had fast-growing stem plants it would have been more appropriate. (I might have it for sale soon, and I have two of them....)

At about the 1:00 mark my "right side" angel pair are grooming a leaf, and it was not long after the video was taken that they deposited a crop of eggs. The eggs are available as of this minute to anyone wanting to stop by and snip the leaf, but I'm not promising they're still there - it has been about 36 hours and they'll be gone soon. 

View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 150-gal SA community   Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:47 am

Such a beautiful tank. I really like the spacing you have with the plants and rocks in the side and backgrounds. Good views of the fish in the center.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 150-gal SA community   Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:11 am

Thanks, Steve. The geos really like moving sand around, so I wanted to keep an open area for them to play in, lol. I have my handy dandy spatula I use to redistribute the sand after they pile it up in the middle or wherever.  

They tend to clear out the areas under the edges of the rocks, since it must be that in nature that's where they find little critters to eat. They don't heap sand up like some cichlid species can do when getting ready to spawn, but they definitely like moving it. I find sand dusted all over the tank, all the way up to the top. 

It is also interesting to me that the Bolivian rams (Mikrogeophagus, duh - I should have realized!) do the identical thing, and they pick up and spit out sand just like the larger geos do in this tank.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 150-gal SA community   

Back to top Go down

150-gal SA community

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-