Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

125-gal SE Asian community

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: 125-gal SE Asian community   Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:19 am

Here's an updated video of the 125-gal. The Crypts have really taken off (C. balinsae in the back left, the rest C. walkeri). I recently placed a 48" LED fixture over this tank as a more energy-efficient and cooler way to light the tank, and I put the same fixture over my 150-gallon.

Algae increased markedly in this tank with the LED fixture, even though the PAR rating indicated I needed two of them for a tank this depth (24"). I have enough trouble with algae in general as it is, with a high phosphate level in my tap water much of the time, so I took that down and went back to a T5 fluoro fixture. It is pretty dim in the tank now, evidenced by the poor quality of the video, but I'm hoping to see the algae back down a bit (black edges on the Anubias as well as hard green spot algae everywhere).

I have 3 B. histrionica (golden zebra loach, Burmese loach), which is the light and dark splotchy loach in the video, but I would like quite a few more of them. I have only 3 because that was all that were available when I went to PAW a while ago, and I thought I'd get more but I've not run into them again. They tend to be less shy than the B. striata (zebra loach) that I have in this tank (maybe a dozen?) and will come out in the daytime. 

I have some floating plants in this tank, dwarf water lettuce and some riccia (thanks, @Joenels!) and the riccia is coming apart, with the strands attaching here and there in the upper parts of the tank. Not sure if there will be enough light for it but we'll see. There are also some Endler's livebearers in this tank that I didn't really mean to go in there, but I needed to move some babies and I thought they'd be eaten, but they weren't, and the other day they started coming out. Yikes. 

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 125-gal SE Asian community   Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:02 am

That was too short!  It's a lovely tank and the demasoni are just perfect for it.  The little loach at the front is too adorable. pounding! Loaches are so much fun and I hope you can get more of the histrionica soon.  

IMO it's better to have a dim tank if it works, than the sort of algae you describe.  There is no sorrier sight than the dreaded black edges marching up and down the bright green leaves of an Anubias, or Java fern or any of the slower-growing plants.  Keep us posted on how the T-5 does.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 125-gal SE Asian community   Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 am

Deb wrote:
That was too short!  ....

You're right - I didn't realize it was just under a minute, lol. I need to put a brighter light over it and settle in, because if I wait around more of the loaches will come out. I don't want to bore anyone, though!

View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 125-gal SE Asian community   Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Another beautiful aquarium biotope by Liz. Love the anubis color you have and BBA destroys the look as Deb mentioned. I still have some BBA that has traveled with me from NY somehow.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 125-gal SE Asian community   Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:23 pm

I don't mind a little algae, and I usually have some, but after the LEDs it seemed to be really affecting the plant health. I'll be interested to see what happens after going back to old school fluoro. 

Maybe there'll be a group of us aquarists who will resist the LED movement and stick to fluoro, and we'll be hoarding bulbs as they (possibly) begin to phase them out, like they did with the incandescent. 

As I now approach the age of curmudgeonliness I can see me doing that....  Cool

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 125-gal SE Asian community   Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:42 am

Liz wrote:

Maybe there'll be a group of us aquarists who will resist the LED movement and stick to fluoro, and we'll be hoarding bulbs as they (possibly) begin to phase them out, like they did with the incandescent. 

As I now approach the age of curmudgeonliness I can see me doing that....  Cool

I might be counted amongst the Old Florescent Schoolers. I have nothing against LED. It's just that my Florescent lighting supplies all my needs. I may be missing out on some neat plants but my low light plants and fish are doing well. I like my old hoods that go with them too. They have great utility... Neutral

I'm not ready to claim curmudgeonliness yet but I do have preferences... shrug

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 125-gal SE Asian community   Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:45 am

I'm with you, Johnny.

I was interested in an LED for my 150-gal because I had a Coralife quad CF fixture that cranked out some serious heat, requiring its own fan, and contributed greatly to evaporation in the tank. Seemed like a huge waste of energy. A low-profile, cool LED fixture seemed like the solution, especially now that the price has come down. 

In my excitement over lighting my tanks with a much smaller, less conspicuous and energy efficient fixture, I got small, inexpensive LEDs for my 20L and my 29. 

Well, across all 4 tanks I got noticeable increase in algae. Hmmmmm....

I know I can customize LED fixtures and select the proper spectrum with different colors, and really get technical about it for my own needs, but I don't have a reason to do that at this point. I retired the hot Coralife CF fixture and went back to a T8 for that and the two smaller tanks, and a T5 for the 125. 

Back to baseline! Go with what works.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 125-gal SE Asian community   

Back to top Go down

125-gal SE Asian community

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-