Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:32 am

I purchased this recently, my wife is SO supportive of my passion..... Smile

It's a 240 Gallon 8' x 2' x 2' Acrylic Aquarium - from the ground to the top of the tank is a little over 6'.

We thought we had the perfect location.... but when we moved it in we realized we were going to lose more living space than desired. So we decided for now at least to hold off on setting it up....

Without a doubt this is the most unbelievable tank I have ever owned and was intended as the new home for our African Peacocks & Hap's.

It is so impressive when you walk in the room....

The stand is pretty unique, the front face is painted with chalkboard paint - this tank was designed to be in a family room where people congregate, live and love... to that end younger children could "chalk it up" on the aquarium stand while everyone chills out watches the fish/tv - you know the family room thing....

You accèss the interior of the stand and sump byway of hinged doors on the side.

My wife is not obessed with the hobby like me, but recently we stopped in to Rama's and she fell in love with a Discus Show Tank he has set up - she keep's mentioning discus...

Although it is currently not for sale, there is a very passionate teen age (13-14 year old) fish keeper in Maryland who sold all of his fish room (which was extensive) in order to procure funds to purchase an 8' tank for his Ray's. We've offered him the tank for a great price, if he buy's it that will make us very happy that we've helped him - if he doesn't buy it, I'll still very happy having it in my possession. Smile

If you had this tank, what would you put in it?

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:55 am

Wow, Tracey! I'm not even sure what superlative to use here. "Awesome" seems to fall short. This is a great find and I WANT it, lol! To have such a big tank that does not way 500 pounds empty is a boon. That is a clever idea with the chalk paint, and kids aren't the only ones who'd take advantage of that.

I think you could have a gorgeous discus setup, especially if you found a huge centerpiece driftwood specimen, like what Rama has in his discus tank (the non-planted one) in his shop. I'd for SURE get a fire eel. However, there are almost too many options here, as I know you realize, lol!

Having the chalkboard on the front makes me think of a more casual, less "serious" setup, like having huge fancy goldfish, or oscars, even. Large, friendly cichlids that come up to you when you approach seems to go a little bit better with the playfulness of the chalkboard/family room concept.

There are some gorgeous geophagus (brasiliensis complex) that get good size on them with striking color, plus they're entertaining and active. A "fun" genus of fish!

The possibilities are so endless that it will be hard to decide, which is a good problem to have. Very Happy

View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:00 pm

That is amazing. My kids would go nuts both having the tank and the ability to "decorate" the front. Right now they draw pictures on printer paper and tape them to the wall next to the tanks.

Is the kid you are talking about "festaedan" from CCA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Supper Kewl Tank!!! great

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:33 am

Lane yes on Daniel

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:54 am

Would love to see pictures once its setup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:52 pm

Very nice tank. Glad it will end up in a good home one way or the other.

Even thought I keep a good amount of African Cichlids, I would probably end up doing a large South American tank with that - probably arrowana, stingrays, Severums, Chocolate cichlids and some silver dollars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:55 pm

verbal wrote:
Very nice tank.  Glad it will end up in a good home one way or the other.

Even thought I keep a good amount of African Cichlids, I would probably end up doing a large South American tank with that - probably arrowana, stingrays, Severums, Chocolate cichlids and some silver dollars.

+1 to this!  ^

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:43 am

@thegundog  Say, Tracey, what became of this tank?  Just wondering ... Wink

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Deb wrote:
@thegundog  Say, Tracey, what became of this tank?  Just wondering ... Wink

We ended up selling the tank, not to the young man in the original post but to another individual who was gong to use it for keeping his Lake Malawai Africans.

I think about this tank from time to time and do regret selling the set up, but in the end I could not keep what I already have and add this monster...

If I still had the tank.. I would set it up with a colony of Frontosa's.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:57 am

thegundog wrote:
If I still had the tank.. I would set it up with a colony of Frontosa's.

That would be awesome! Liz had Frontosas for a while, and her tank was incredible.  Low, LED lights (before they became the thing), thin slate walls, large round boulders.  It had the right mood, for sure.

I'd probably set up a section of Amazon stream, and stock with as many small fish as looked natural.  Planning a tank is as much fun as the actual set up.  
Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....   

Back to top Go down

The Best Tank I've Ever Owned.....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-