Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Tank mates for apistos

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Tank mates for apistos   Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:15 pm

My wife thinks my Apistogramma cacatuoides are boring, I love them.  I want to keep her happy so I am asking for some ideas for tank mated for them.  The tank is 75 gallon planted tank with neons and bristle nose placo.  She wants color and movement.  Any Ideas?

joenels
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Tank mates for apistos   Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Good cichlid tankmates would be bolivian rams,keyholes,dorsigera(with caution) and checkerboard cichlids. Also angels and festivums stay mostly upper level out of their way.Anything else tropical should be good as well depending on your tastes...cacatuoides get about 3-3.5 inches and are usually only aggressive when defending fry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Tank mates for apistos   Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:26 pm

... Recognizing of course that few if any Apisto fry will survive with fast moving fish. Small slow-moving things like pencilfish, hatchets, black neon, glowlights are the best tankmates with Apistos, if you want any fry survival. Wife needs her own tank with large colorful active (boring) fish like red parrot cichlids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ciscosdad
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Tank mates for apistos   Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Gerald, I am with you 100% going to leave it like it is. She doesnt appriciate the beuty of my fish and doesnt take the time to pull up a chair and watch them. I much prefer small interesting fish that happen to have beutiful colors.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Tank mates for apistos   Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:22 pm

Maybe when a bright yellow momma Apisto is leading her swarm of fry around the tank, then she'll look long enough to realize how amazing they really are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Tank mates for apistos   Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:34 pm

@gerald wrote:
... Wife needs her own tank with large colorful active (boring) fish like red parrot cichlids.

Lol!!

I'm with you, Chris. My family thinks I have a virtually empty tank when they look at the 29 with the dorsigera pair. They spend a good majority of the time in the massive java fern "bush" and don't often come out. 

I think they're fascinating and love to sit and watch, waiting for them to venture out, and ultimately I think they're happiest under these circumstances, with some tiny Endler's and some wee Emperor tetras hanging out in the mid and upper levels out of their way. 

Fortunately, above this tank is Otis the F8 puffer, who is VERY active and entertaining, and there's the two huge tanks with loads of active fish, so I can send them elsewhere for fishy entertainment!

View user profile
joenels
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Tank mates for apistos   Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Did any of the fry survive or have they spawned again?You will know when they spawn. They turn almost black.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Tank mates for apistos   Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Joe, I don't think any of the fry survived, since I'm sure I'd see their tiny selves, though that java mass is quite sizable, in both the lateral and vertical planes, so they could be in there- I have not been disturbing it.

The male has not really colored up like he was before, so I don't think they have spawned again. The female has healed up from the wound she got on her head from the male when I first put them in, and they seem amicable now - quite relaxed.

We'll see if the next big PWC stimulates anything.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tank mates for apistos   

Back to top Go down

Tank mates for apistos

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-