Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

JRAS Meeting tonight, Wed. April 22, at 7:30.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: JRAS Meeting tonight, Wed. April 22, at 7:30.    Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:47 am

The James River Aquarium Society (JRAS) is meeting on Wednesday, April 22, 2015, at 7:30 pm.  

The Program Topic is: "Aquatic Conservation, Current Legal Statutes, Pending Legislation, Advocacy groups, Politics, and How They All Affect the Aquarium Hobbyist.”

Conservation is a very important topic, and one that more aquarists should be concerned about. Unfortunately, under the guise of acting in the best interests of conservation, many advocacy groups are working to undermine the aquarium hobby, and legislature is constantly passed which limits our aquarium choices. Aquarists need to work to understand these laws, learn how to combat future laws, and work within the existing laws.  

The Program Speaker is: Joshua Wiegert, owner and operator of Batfish Aquatics.  

Batfish Aquatics
is a provider of unusual and rare aquarium fish, aquarium plants, and other animals such as rare species of Betta, Apistogramma, unique and interesting tetras, danios, cyprinids, corydoras, and loricariids. In addition to freshwater fish, Batfish carries small selections of aquatic plants, freshwater invertebrates, and marine fish and invertebrates.  They are located in the Greater Washington, DC area and service the entire United States and ship throughout the country, year round, direct to the doorstep. Batfish Aquatic’s warehouse facility houses over 300 aquariums and also offers periodic set retail hours and hours by appointment.  

The Meeting Site:
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries’ 4000  
- Training Room adjacent to the headquarters' building,
4010 West Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230.

Questions?  Ask here and we will find out the answer.  
Or contact, Dennis Bragg,
Cell/Text: (804) 690-2152 /
roovle@gmail.com,
or Scott Cox, Cell/Text: (804) 539-5360,
wsc.3@comcast.net  

Mailing address:
James River Aquarium Society (JRAS)
5409 Falmouth Street, Richmond, VA 23230.

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: JRAS Meeting tonight, Wed. April 22, at 7:30.    Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:32 am

How was the meeting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: JRAS Meeting tonight, Wed. April 22, at 7:30.    Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:12 am

The meeting was good. Some high points were the talk on conservation by Josh. This is the second talk by him that I've heard and I have to say I enjoy his style of presentation and his power point slides are well done. Another high point was seeing a number of repeat attendees, always a good sign. Ron was there and donated many prized fish into the auction. Very Happy

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: JRAS Meeting tonight, Wed. April 22, at 7:30.    Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks to Ron for providing so many high quality auction items. I am going to miss seeing you around but know you will still be providing us insight on this forum. Happy Trails!

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: JRAS Meeting tonight, Wed. April 22, at 7:30.    Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks Deb and Steve,
It was great seeing you both and Liz again. It was a nice meeting and Josh gave a great talk. I was also glad to see many of the JRAS folks again before I leave. Good folks as are all of you at CVAS, Going to miss you all. I will certainly stay in touch with you all on the Forum. I visit online quite a few and none compare to the help and quality of ours.
Hope all of you who got some of my plants and fish enjoy, and make sure to post pics from time to time so I can see how they are doing.
Ron

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: JRAS Meeting tonight, Wed. April 22, at 7:30.    Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Let me also chime in that Ron contributed some extremely high-quality fish and plants to the auction. It was quite exciting to watch the bidding wars! Stunning fish, Ron, you have excellent taste in what you keep, and your husbandry is top notch.

Also, Josh's talk was very good. I learned quite a bit of new information about fish that are endangered in the wild but abundant in the aquarium trade (clown fish and white cloud mountain minnows, for instance) as well as other interesting facts that were new to me, and I was very pleasantly surprised. I learned a lot about the issues in the hobby with crayfish and the benefits and pitfalls of legislation that impacts our hobby.

More discussion was held about the upcoming project to assist the Nature Center at Pocahontas State Park with a couple of native species tanks, and there was a fellow in attendance (I forgot his name - Deb, do you recall?) who works for the DGIF, and works often at Pocahontas counting fish species, etc. He plans on assisting with the collection. We'll make an announcement here when the time comes.

I pre-ordered some BN plecos from Josh, who brought them along, and they're all doing great. I got them for my nephew's tank, but I ordered some extras for my own and Deb's tanks.

There are some great speakers coming up in future meetings, and the new location for the DGIF will be the future site for the JRAS meetings, on Villa Park Way near Brook Road/Parham (behind St. Joseph's Villa, not too far from Walmart and I-95).

There are a lot of very engaged members and lots going on, so anyone who has not yet been able to attend ought to try to make the next one.

One motion that passed was to have the meeting start at 7 p.m. instead of 7:30 - these meetings can go on long (past 10 p.m. sometimes), so I was glad for this time adjustment!

View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: JRAS Meeting tonight, Wed. April 22, at 7:30.    Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm going to pretend that Ron is NOT leaving town, and I hope he'll continue to visit us here on the forum so I can maintain this ruse that he's just around the corner!

The internet will make it much easier than it used to be to keep in touch, of course.

Also, Ron, don't forget that at the meeting David promised the JRAS club would send you a care package once you get your tanks set back up again! Your contribution to the club auction was very, very generous and most everyone in attendance benefited. ThumbsUp

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JRAS Meeting tonight, Wed. April 22, at 7:30.    

Back to top Go down

JRAS Meeting tonight, Wed. April 22, at 7:30.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: What's Going On?-