Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Ken S. Kennedy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Ken S. Kennedy    Sat May 23, 2015 10:37 pm

Last month I had the opportunity to meet a legend in Angelfish world for those who are aware. He is the one who found the blue gene and have created some of the most popular variety of Angelfish up to date. On to the story Razz

I went to the Philippine for about 15 days to see one of my good friend and through her I was able to meet the folks from The Pinoy Angelfish Society. They also gave me something to remember their group by  Laughing . One of the members of the PAFS member worked at a fish farm and offered me to show around. I was too busy talking to the members and didn't take enough pics of the facility Sad. Maybe next time Smile.

Awesome folks from The Pinoy Society. (PAFS)

Their Gift

Albino Fire mouth

Juvenile Altum

Sir Ken S. Kennedy (in the middle)

Unfortunately I didn't take too many pics as I was too busy talking and learning about Angelfish from Sir Ken.

Last edited by neogeo20041 on Sun May 24, 2015 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Sun May 24, 2015 12:49 am

Outstanding Neo! You are one blessed guy to have met Ken Kennedy in person. That guy made Angelfish history... Cool
You may be the next person with a breakthrough... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Sun May 24, 2015 9:28 am

What a fantastic trip for the true angelfish fan!  Neo, you are the lucky one - great friends, and a great society there in the Philippines.  Ken Kennedy is amazing.  The article I referenced in the other post talks about him and his work, and how the discovery of the Philippine blue gene gained acceptance in the angelfish community.  It was fascinating to read about his breakthrough.

neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Mon May 25, 2015 2:05 am

Cool  It was an honor and pleasure to meet Sir ken. I'm glad The Angelfish Society finally accepted the blue gene. Because without it I think Angelfish breeding would be quite boring. This is simply my opinion though Razz.  

This is Sir kens Flickers if anyone is interested in viewing some amazing pictures of angelfish.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24044055@N03/

Last edited by neogeo20041 on Mon May 25, 2015 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Mon May 25, 2015 6:45 pm

This is a wonderful story! Thanks for posting pics for us jealous angelfish aficionados - I hope you popped a few altum into your pocket, sneaky-like, and got home with them. Wink

Color me JEALOUS!!! tongue

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Mon May 25, 2015 9:32 pm

Neo, I'm sure you asked, but my question would be, "What steps led to the discovery of the Blue gene?" Is it online or has it been published anywhere??? study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Wed May 27, 2015 11:42 am

Liz wrote:
This is a wonderful story! Thanks for posting pics for us jealous angelfish aficionados - I hope you popped a few altum into your pocket, sneaky-like, and got home with them. Wink

Color me JEALOUS!!! tongue

hahah...Liz I wanted to take all the P. Altums I saw Razz but it is so expensive for them to export it, unfortunately it was out of the question Sad. And besides P. Altums is one of those fish that research has shown me that you have to be prepared for before you even consider buying any. So, I will wait my turn until I can properly house them Smile. I also saw tons of wild angels that I have never seen before Laughing . A lot of the wild varieties are very hard to come by so it was a feast on my eyes...Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Wed May 27, 2015 11:59 am

JohnnyAMH wrote:
Neo, I'm sure you asked, but my question would be, "What steps led to the discovery of the Blue gene?" Is it online or has it been published anywhere??? study

Hey! Johnny I'm a little hazy on the details. As far as I can remember it all started with some Platinum angels that Sir Ken's sister bought for him. He didn't like those Platinums at the time but little did he know what was in store for him. After that Sir Ken joined The Angelfish forum and they say the rest is history...lol...I  have also tried to search for the forum page that detailed his every cross that lead to the discovery of the pb gene  but I couldn't find it. It has been a while in case you haven't been keeping up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Wed May 27, 2015 1:55 pm

neogeo20041 wrote:
JohnnyAMH wrote:

Hey! Johnny I'm a little hazy on the details. As far as I can remember it all started with some Platinum angels that Sir Ken's sister bought for him. He didn't like those Platinums at the time but little did he know what was in store for him. After that Sir Ken joined The Angelfish forum and they say the rest is history...lol...I  have also tried to search for the forum page that detailed his every cross that lead to the discovery of the pb gene  but I couldn't find it. It has been a while in case you haven't been keeping up.

I have been trying to keep up Neo but obviously not as well as you. I did quite a bit of research on the Blue gene. I was one of those who had to be convinced. About 25  years ago there were claims of German Blues Blushers that that proved not to be genetic when bred with other Genotypes. It was like the orange color in some Koi, intensified by selective breeding. Sir Ken's Blue Angelfish have been proven and accepted by TAS and other Angelfish organizations to be genetic. It has been crossed with many different genotypes.  I predicted before his discovery that new genotypes were going to be discovered. I predict that there are still more genes to discover, maybe by you... Cool
If by chance you find the info again, please post it. Thanks...study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Wed May 27, 2015 4:14 pm

JohnnyAMH wrote:
neogeo20041 wrote:
JohnnyAMH wrote:

I have been trying to keep up Neo but obviously not as well as you. I did quite a bit of research on the Blue gene. I was one of those who had to be convinced. About 25  years ago there were claims of German Blues Blushers that that proved not to be genetic when bred with other Genotypes. It was like the orange color in some Koi, intensified by selective breeding. Sir Ken's Blue Angelfish have been proven and accepted by TAS and other Angelfish organizations to be genetic. It has been crossed with many different genotypes.  I predicted before his discovery that new genotypes were going to be discovered. I predict that there are still more genes to discover, maybe by you... Cool
If by chance you find the info again, please post it. Thanks...study

Hey! Johnny,  good news I finally found it after quite a bit of search. I wasn't looking where I should have been looking in the first place Sad. Anyway here it is Smile

http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=12921
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Thu May 28, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks Neo! After reading the thread it reminded me of Scott Saunders work. He replicated Dr. Norton's crosses based on her published papers. I visited his hatchery in northern Virginia. Because of his work, he stocked many genotypes and all the known genes at that time. He had the largest Angelfish hatchery I have visited to this day. I was fortunate to bring most home with me. This was before I was on the Board of Directors for the Angelfish Society, which oversaw the work of the Standards Committee. This was also before Ken Kennedy's discovery of the Blue gene.  

This whole discussion has reminded me of how cool Angelfish breeding has become and continues to advance. Thanks again for the Blues and the information...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Thu May 28, 2015 11:44 am

This is so interesting! Very Happy Thanks, guys, for telling the story and providing a timeline for us. Keep it up!

neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Thu May 28, 2015 11:44 pm

JohnnyAMH wrote:
Thanks Neo! After reading the thread it reminded me of Scott Saunders work. He replicated Dr. Norton's crosses based on her published papers. I visited his hatchery in northern Virginia. Because of his work, he stocked many genotypes and all the known genes at that time. He had the largest Angelfish hatchery I have visited to this day. I was fortunate to bring most home with me. This was before I was on the Board of Directors for the Angelfish Society, which oversaw the work of the Standards Committee. This was also before Ken Kennedy's discovery of the Blue gene.  

This whole discussion has reminded me of how cool Angelfish breeding has become and continues to advance. Thanks again for the Blues and the information...Cool

I'm sure that was a sight to see.... Surprised . I still have yet to visit a proper Angelfish hatchery myself Sad. You are one lucky fellow I must admit Smile. If you don't mind me asking ; what year did you visit his hatchery.

If I'm not mistaken the first article by Dr. Joanne Norton was published in 1982. Which outlined the genetic notation we know and most use today. Some of the genetic notation has been changed by The Angelfish Society (TAS) and new genes has been added. So far these are the genes that has been accepted by the TAS.

Albino(a)  A recessive mutation that removes the pterin and melanin pigments leaving the carotenoid pigment layer exposed.
Dark(D)  A incomplete dominant that is present in our Blacks and many other dark angelfish. Commonly referred to as the Black gene, in error. An allele of Gold Marble, New Gold and Marble.
Gold Marble(Gm)  A lightly marked marble that act similar to the Gold allele in crosses. An allele of Dark, Marble and Gold.
Halfblack(h)  Recessive mutation whose penetrance  may be influenced by modifiers. Environment will influence the expression of this gene.
Marble(M)  An incomplete dominant that is an allele of Dark, New Gold and Gold Marble.
Gold(g)  A recessive mutation that can be hidden in many strains. Originally referred to as New Gold. It is only one of a few gold mutations. Naja Gold and Hong Kong Gold (which are probably both lost to the hobby) are the other two. New Gold is an allele of Dark, Gold Marble and Marble.
Pearl(p)  Not a color mutation, but a recessive scale mutation that reflects light in a sparkling manner. Expressivity is environmentally influenced. The phenotype is commonly referred to as pearlscale.
Blue(pb)  This recessive mutation was discovered by Ken S. Kennedy. When homozygous, it increases iridescence in all strains and it greatly inhibits the storage of carotenoid pigments in those that are normally orange or gold in color. For example, Golds become white. With strains like Wild-type, since there is no orange to remove, it simply adds iridescence to the adults. Iridescence in the juveniles is very subtle and increases as the fish ages. It also appears to be somewhat deleterious, causing lower fertility, weaker, smaller fry and more deformities to occur in many spawns.  Our opinion of this gene is somewhat tainted.
Smokey(Sm)  A dominant mutation. The phenotype of an angel that is homozygous for Smokey is known as a Chocolate.
Streaked(St)  A dominant mutation that acts as a modifier of the Dark gene. It causes white or clear streaks in the fins and iridescent patches on the body in Blacks and others varieties containing the Dark gene. It exhibits variable expression. The streaks can be one or two fine lines or a bold white stripe. An underlying mottling can also be seen in (DD) and (Dg) that contain the gene for Streaked. There is some evidence that it is now expressing in some fish without the Dark gene present.
Stripeless(S)  An incomplete dominant that exhibits variable expressivity. It is not a color mutation, but a modifier that effects the expression of other color genes. More complete explanation below.
Zebra(Z)  A dominant mutation that is an allele of Stripeless, therefore you cannot have a Blushing Zebra - Wild-type(+)The gene that occurs most frequently in a population at any given gene location. The one that is designated as normal, is called wild-type.

There is another gene that was discovered recently by Raikou SlavKov and hasn't been accepted by the TAS yet. So, I'm completely with you when it comes to discovering new genes. The test cross must be done in order for validity. With that said enjoy the video  Very Happy

Original Link for genetic notation
http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleGenetics2.htm

TAS Library of Dr. Joanne Norton's Angelfish genetics Articles.
http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/forum/content.php/30-Angelfish-Genetics-Index
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Fri May 29, 2015 12:32 am

Neo, I was headed for bed because I have a busy day planned for tomorrow, but I read your post. Wow, another new gene! I still need to hit the sack, but where can I learn more about this new this new gene? Thanks for supplying the links. It’s good reading for Angelfish fans who are interested in breeding.

BTW: One of the things that was important to me was that TAS be an organization that took a conservative and scientific approach to confirming new genetic claims. Steve and Steward helped a lot and keep the team on track. They deserve all the credit.

Publishing Dr. Norton's papers was one of the best things TAS has ever done. It's the basis by which most Angelfish genetic knowledge is judged. It has been proven to be true time and time again. Thanks for posting links to real good stuff.

I don't think that anybody has totally unlocked the key to Angelfish DNA and genetics. I think it should be TAS next goal to have the DNA plotted. Can you imagine Angelfish as colorful as Discus, my Angelfish breeding friend? Thanks again for the info… study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Sat May 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Johnny, To be honest you can always check TAF 2 (forum) or Angelfishbreeders(fb group) . If anything new happens in the Angelfish world it is most likely to be in either of places. I guess you just have to go on a search sometime Smile. Everytime I personally head to TAF 2 I always end up learning or finding something interesting hehe...I found another thread documenting the Bulgarian Seal point gene. There a lot of unanswered question about this gene still and not enough crosses to reveal its true nature.

http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=24342&highlight=bulgarian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:55 pm

Hehehehe, Neo you are starting to crack me up... too much!
I visit TAF2 almost as much as I visit here. There's lots of good stuff to learn there. I was actually one of the original members there but lost my old nick.  I used a similar nick until they recovered my old one for me a few years ago. I authored a web site named The Angelfish Micro Hatchery hence, JohnnyAMH. Some of the old time Angelfish fans might remember it. I focused on the hobbyist who like myself wanted to use the techniques of larger breeders to their advantage in their homes. Neo, you have seen my tiny setup. It's been running at my present location continuously producing Angelfish for 20 years. I bred my first pair and raised their spawn about 40 years ago.

I also used to frequent the original "The Angelfish Forum" the precursor to TAF2. I have seen many claims made. Some have been proven, some have failed. I also have seen many Angelfish experts come and go. I have seen hobbyist wreak their homes with too many fish tanks, forced themselves out of the hobby and never to be heard from again. While I get as excited as the next guy about the potential of a new strain, I know the importance of enjoying what's going on in my own tanks. There are so many varieties and I have so few tanks and I'm still talking about Angelfish. There are so many different fasinating fish.

Speaking of excitement, thanks for posting the link to the Bulgarian Seal Points. I had read that thread. It looks very promising and a lot of work has been done but you are right, more work is needed. That is also true of what some people are now calling Glitter and Snakeskin. Both of them have been around forever but not proven to be gene based so far. I believe the potential is there and it would be too cool if someone found a way to turn it on. A visit to AquaBid.com illustrates the imaginations, aspirations and some of the names some hobbyist invent and showcases the need for organizations like TAS. IMHO, the most important aspect of this hobby is to enjoy it...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~

Last edited by JohnnyAMH on Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Here's a link to a recent thread concerning Bulgarian Green Interactions from TAFII... Smile

Bulgarian Green Interactions

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:16 am

Here is two videos showcasing Glitter and Snakeskin from Ken's youtube channel.

Pink & Yellow Glitter-Snakeskin Angelfish

Snakeskin Blue Angelfish
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:20 am

Those fish have the highest concentration of Glitter and Snakeskin I have seen to date...Shocked
Thanks Neo for posting... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:04 am

Ken is not only famous for his discovery of the blue gene but he also pioneered some interesting looks for our good old Angelfish. I'm not sure how many of your are familiar with Ken's Wide fin, thread fin and the famous Pinoy Angelfish. So, I thought I would gather some of the videos and pics for those who are interested in seeing Smile.

Blue ( pb/pb )

Blue Marble ( M/+ - pb/pb or M/M - pb/pb )

Blue Smokey ( Sm/+ - pb/pb )

Platinum Marble ( Gm/g - pb/pb or Gm/Gm - pb/pb or M/g - pb/pb )

Pinoy ( D/+ - pb/pb or D/D - pb/pb )

Pinoy Clown ( D/+ - pb/pb - Z/S )

Pinoy Paraiba ( D/+ - pb/pb - S/S or D/D - pb/pb - S/S )

Pinoy Smokey ( Sm/+ - D/+ - pb/pb or Sm/+ D/D - pb/pb ) (This one also has double dose of pearlscale gene & bit if wide fin)

Pariaba ( S/S - pb/pb )

Pariaba Smokey ( Sm/+ - pb/pb - S/S )

Koi Paraiba ( gm/gm - S/S - pb/pb )

Sunset Paraiba ( g/g - S/S - pb/pb)

Albino Pinoy ( a/a - pb/pb)

Wide Fin Angelfish

Thread Fin Angelfish

So, in conclusion without the blue gene none of the beautiful Angelfish strains we see today would be possible. So long live ken Kennedy and may his work inspire other hobbyist to breed angelfish and produce their own strains. I would personally would like to thank him, because if he never produced Albino Pinoy strain, I would have never taken any interest in Angelfish breeding. Also for showing me his awesome setup and for sharing his knowledge with me.

Awesome interview with The Father of Pinoy Angelfish if anyone is interested in the history of it.
http://www.pafs.info/the-father-of-the-philippine-blue-angelfish-gene/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ken S. Kennedy    

Back to top Go down

Ken S. Kennedy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-