Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Warm-blooded deep-sea fish: Opah

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Warm-blooded deep-sea fish: Opah   Mon May 25, 2015 11:44 am

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=6759

Deep-sea Opah are the first known warm-blooded fish that keep their internal organs whole above ambient temp, using counter-current heat-exchange. (Some tunas and sharks are semi-warm-blooded; can keep their swimming muscle temp slightly elevated).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Warm-blooded deep-sea fish: Opah   Mon May 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks for posting!
According to the article, Opah spend most of their time at depths of up to 1,300 ft, While I'm pretty sure I may never own a Saltwater tank. I am pretty certain I will never own one that deep... too much!

I found the article very interesting. We know so little about creatures of the deep. I was struck by the appearance of the fish too. I love the shape and colors. I enjoy reading about fish that I may I never have an opportunity to own. There are so many fascinating creatures. Thanks...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Warm-blooded deep-sea fish: Opah   Thu May 28, 2015 9:30 am

The article was very interesting. It seems to me that Kroger has this fish in the fresh fish case. I asked the guy the other day and he said they do get it in, sometimes it's labeled moonfish. When I've seen it, it didn't look appetizing, I prefer really white, thick filets.

My question is, at the depths where it lives, how can they collect this fish for food?

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Warm-blooded deep-sea fish: Opah   Fri May 29, 2015 12:30 pm

I dont know the details of how they're fished, by line or by net, but never underestimate the commercial fishing industry -- they've got all sorts of gear for locating and harvesting enormous quantities of fish and crustaceans from all depths. It's become a technological (and marketing) arms race to see who can catch and sell previously unexploited species, as the traditional mass-harvested species are depleted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warm-blooded deep-sea fish: Opah   

Back to top Go down

Warm-blooded deep-sea fish: Opah

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Saltwater :: Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates-