Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hyphessobrycon bentosi

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Today Ancistra' and I took one of our road trips to Lynchburg and visited Pets and Aquatic Warehouse, or P.A.W. We've been there before and I'm sure Deborah will post a review for you, since it is, believe it or not, worth the drive to visit. They are not as big as Animal Jungle in VA Beach, but have comparable stock and are very knowledgeable and eager to help the customer. We've seen some really great fish there, and not just the usual stuff. They've got a great selection of rocks and driftwood, as well as tanks and all kinds of supplies. They also have the best prices on dog food I've ever seen. I use "super premium" brands and I stocked up while we were there - no prices anywhere near this good in Richmond.

I was looking for a reddish tetra for my 150-gal geophagus/angelfish setup, since I have only a few individuals of embers, cardinals, black neons and het rasboras. I wanted to stick with a SA tetra that would go well with the wild angels that I'll be getting hopefully in the spring, and red shows up so well against the green of the plants and white sand.

I looked at rummynoses, pristellas, lemons, serpaes and red phantom, but my eye was drawn to what was being sold as Hyphessobrycon sp. "Peppermint tetra." They've got a pinkish/salmon body with prominent dorsal and pelvic fins tipped in white. I could not get a species name while there, but they are similar to bleeding heart tetras, which is a species I was considering. I bought all they had, 8, and they are acclimating very well. They are actually more of a salmon color in the body than the picture below shows, and are getting pinker as time goes on.

On further research I'm sure what I have are "white tipped" or "ornate" tetras, known as H. bentosi.

These will be a great addition to my SA community, and I hope to get more. I've contacted Rama at Skoolz of Fish to see if he has more or can get some for me.

View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Very Nice pick up Liz! i am sure they will go great in that Set up. I must talk Jen into another trip to check this place out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:14 pm

Jen doesn't need to be asked twice:). Awesome looking fish, definitely out of the ordinary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:15 pm

I am trying to figure out a trip out there too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:55 am

Road trip!!

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Here is a short vid showing how well the tetras are doing in the tank. They've colored up nicely. The geos, as usual, want to hog the spotlight, but if you look carefully you can see the H. bentosi behind them. The ones with the more prominent, flag-like dorsals are the males. I definitely need a bunch more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA2lMliVILU&list=HL1330884183&feature=mh_lolz

View user profile
koolaid68
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:48 pm

wow Liz that is really a beautiful tank. Lots of care and great detail. Loved the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEd9pbj9MGY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:50 pm

I see them and they are stunning! You are a lucky gal to have that nice 150 in your main living area. This latest incarnation with the geos and the bentosi is the best. Isn't it a treat to have fish that want to hog the spotlight for a change? *lol*

You are right - you need a bunch more of the H. bentosi. Road trip?

Cichlid Lover
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:35 pm

I love that tank! Looks great Liz. cheers

jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Awesome tank!!! Having my little planted tank makes me want to plant all my tanks:-) And seeing your tank makes me want geos so much more now!

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Jen, you shall have your geos, lol! These guys are pretty slow to mature but they're getting there. I'm going to need to part with quite a few, I'm afraid, due to their adult sizes. In the video you can just barely see how the geos are starting to get their orange/red heads and red striations in their fins. They'll be gorgeous. I really wanted to try to get pics of the tetras, though!

I agree, Ancistra'! Those of us who have been devoted Tanganyikan cichlid keepers know that many commonly kept species are shy and hide in the rockwork, so I'm accustomed to many years of my fish darting for cover when I walk into a room. Now, I delight in how the geos come rushing over even if I just get up from the sofa in the next room!

So, I need more of the H. bentosi, thin out the geos, and then a group of wild angels, and that tank will pretty much be set.

View user profile
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:54 pm

@Liz wrote:
Jen, you shall have your geos, lol! These guys are pretty slow to mature but they're getting there. I'm going to need to part with quite a few, I'm afraid, due to their adult sizes. In the video you can just barely see how the geos are starting to get their orange/red heads and red striations in their fins. They'll be gorgeous. I really wanted to try to get pics of the tetras, though!

Well they can take their time, lol, I wont have tank space until we move in November:-(

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hyphessobrycon bentosi   

Back to top Go down

Hyphessobrycon bentosi

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-