Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

New Cleaning Method for 125g Glass Top

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: New Cleaning Method for 125g Glass Top   Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:49 am

While cleaning and doing a PWC (50%) on my 125g African tank, I noticed that my glass tops had a nice growth of algae, especially those above my bubblers. So, I'm thinking, between get out the hose sprayer, cleaning pads, etc... But, I realized that my acquired BN pleco from Ron had done a great job of cleaning all the rocks and back glass of algae. So, I took the top off, re-positioned down in the water, and waited. The next morning, sure enough, a sizeable amount had been devoured and even some of the other fish were enjoying the vegetables (lol). Let me know what you think, I have two more tops to go.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Cleaning Method for 125g Glass Top   Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:51 pm

@Nick_B wrote:
  Let me know what you think

I think that is a great idea - everyone is happy: your plec has food that they love and YOU are happy too since you don't have to clean the tops!

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Cleaning Method for 125g Glass Top   Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:39 am

I think that's a swell idea!!! Ron is a great guy!!! Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Cleaning Method for 125g Glass Top   Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:07 am

I think my BN pleco would be to lazy to do that.

lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Cleaning Method for 125g Glass Top   Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Just be careful that you don't have any chemicals or other pollutants on the glass tops. The top side is exposed to everything in the room unless you have a hood covering it. Any cleaners, grime from hands, etc. may accumulate up there. For the sake of letting your pleco eat some algae, you may risk introducing something much more harmful into the tank especially since the fish are essentially eating off that glass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Cleaning Method for 125g Glass Top   Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:01 pm

Since I'm normally the one who cleans the tanks and the area in general, no chemicals are used and my wife is also aware of not using chemicals on or near the tanks. I also know many people run open top tanks so I shouldn't be any worse off than those but it is always wise to be cautious when coming to our pets. The things I normally find on top of my glass are the cichlid pellets I feed. I just can't figure out how that happens. They must be bouncing of the water and back up on the glass.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New Cleaning Method for 125g Glass Top   Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:24 am

@lkelly wrote:
Just be careful that you don't have any chemicals or other pollutants on the glass tops.  The top side is exposed to everything in the room unless you have a hood covering it.  Any cleaners, grime from hands, etc. may accumulate up there.  For the sake of letting your pleco eat some algae, you may risk introducing something much more harmful into the tank especially since the fish are essentially eating off that glass.

@Nick_B wrote:
Since I'm normally the one who cleans the tanks and the area in general, no chemicals are used and my wife is also aware of not using chemicals on or near the tanks.  I also know many people run open top tanks so I shouldn't be any worse off than those but it is always wise to be cautious when coming to our pets.  The things I normally find on top of my glass are the cichlid pellets I feed.  I just can't figure out how that happens.  They must be bouncing of the water and back up on the glass.

I think both of the previous posters made valid points. We do need to be cautious about what we put in our tanks. Still, it's nice when we can let fish do what they do. In my case my glass is protected insert inside my hood. What really happens here, is that I clean mine off manually with a paper towel. But if some falls in the tank, it's not a big deal. It's Pleco food... Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Cleaning Method for 125g Glass Top   

Back to top Go down

New Cleaning Method for 125g Glass Top

View previous topic View next topic Back to top