Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

55 setup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: 55 setup   Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Hey All, hope everyone back there are doing well. Finally getting sort of settled in here in Ohio. Downsizing homes a bit more stressful than interstate moving. Got rid of a bunch of stuff before moving, had a garage sale after, and still can't seem to have room. I will persevere though. My 55 is going to be the first set up. In place where I can enjoy,
but noticed silicon looking a little scary. Tried resealing yesterday but not happy with my first attempt so stripped it again this morning and have it all taped off for resealing again tonight. Not sure what will be stocking yet but definitely going to make a planted tank. Just bought 3 bags of Flourite on Amazon and arrived yesterday so getting anxious to get things going. I will send some pics as I progress. Pretty sure this will be an Angel tank but have not fully committed yet.
I had my 90 in place to set up first and my wife and Dad said wall needs a bigger tank there (I hate it when they say these things....lol) so my Dad bought me a new 150 with stand and canopy. On order so when it arrives I will post and pic the progress. I am really leaning on Discus for that one but really afraid of such expensive fish and one or all dying on me. Not too sure who to trust on keeping them and what has to be done yet to see if I am up to the challenge.
Happy Fathers Day to all you great Dad's and I will post more as I progress.
Ron

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:40 pm

Ron wrote:
..... so my Dad bought me a new 150 with stand and canopy.....
Ron

OMG I am SO excited for you!! These were the only words that I could pay attention to in your post, lol, so I had to highlight them, lol! ROFL!

It is great to hear from you and I really look forward to seeing what your plans will be, and how it all comes together. You are a very careful and considered fishkeeper, so it will look great and be a stunner, no doubt. Plus, you have a lot of resources near you for fish and supplies, I hear.

Keep us posted, and glad to know you're doing well.

Happy Father's Day, and best wishes to your dad for me!

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:53 am

It's good to hear from you, Ron, and that's really good news about the 150!  cheers  I can't wait to see how that develops, once it is delivered.  I know whatever you decide on will look great.  

Ron wrote:
... noticed silicon [on the 55] looking a little scary. Tried resealing yesterday but not happy with my first attempt so stripped it again this morning and have it all taped off for resealing again tonight.
Resealing a tank always strikes me as tricky.  Let us know how it goes.  We have a video on here about how to do that, making it look so simple, but I'm not so sure!  It would be great if you could let us know, step-by-step, how you do it. Very Happy

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:28 pm

It's nice to hear from you, Ron. I'm happy to hear things are going well for you. Enjoy you tanks and thanks again for inviting me to join CVAS!!! wave

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:18 pm

Hey again All,
Thanks for the kind words and thoughts.
I did use his video and it's why I did not try to replicate and post as Flippercon did a great job. So far the process really not that tricky. Trying to make the job look professional a little more difficult as when I undertake these type of projects I tend to lean toward being a perfectionist and get angry at myself for not doing a perfect job. Hence why I tore out the first job and started over again. While I can not say this job is like a new tank it did come out pretty nice. Proof will be the leak test in a couple more days. affraid
I guess after viewing his vid and watching some others on YouTube I think the amount of silicon they suggest might be a little on the too much side. I cut it back some on the second attempt and it looked a lot better.
I will post more as the time nears and the silicon has set well.

lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:11 pm

I've done a 33, a 75, and a 100 gallon (reseal). The first two held water fine and I haven't tested the 100 yet as I will have to build a stand and get some help moving it before filling. Removing the old silicone takes a little time depending on how old it is. I managed to seal the 75 and 100 in one night using the same tube once I got both taped up. Not too bad. The 33 was my first try and I made the mistake of doing it in partial sun in my hot garage. The silicone starts to cure really quickly so you have to remove the tape fast. I did the other two tanks in my basement.

With a little practice it is easy IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:51 pm

I agree it was pretty easy, just a little time consuming. Actually I found taping it off the hardest so that the silicon seam would be even. I've seen some DIY jobs out there where silicon seams were wavy and or wider at top or bottom due to not properly taping. Since this is a show tank I wanted as new looking as possible. I do agree also to get the tape off right away or you will pull off some of the silicon and not have a clean and tight seal.I did not do to bad though even though it took 2 tries.
Water testing now and no runs, no drips, no errors so far. In all the vids  out there on how to DIY not one of them said how long do you water test. Is a couple hours okay or overnight recommended? I think I will give it 24 hours before draining.

Last edited by Ron on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:58 pm

I left mine at least overnight. For the one it was several days only because I had to go through a little effort draining a 75 gallon tank that was on the floor of my basement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:11 pm

Hey Ron, 

Glad to see you are settling in to the point that you can get your tanks going again.

A new 150 sounds exciting, a new 150 with Discus sounds VERY exciting. You are an outstanding, experienced fish keeper and will have no problem keeping discus - just get quality stock....

Flippers video is excellent, but resealing tanks is not for me - I'd always be worried but that's just me.

Any good aquarium clubs near your new homestead?

Look forward to seeing your set ups progression.

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:27 am

Ron great hearing from you and the 55 gal update. A 150 gal tank sounds great -- would that be a 6' or 5' 150?

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:53 pm

scruiz wrote:
Ron great hearing from you and the 55 gal update.  A 150 gal tank sounds great -- would that be a 6' or 5' 150?

Thanks Steve.
Ordered a 6' as I needed to fill more wall space in the living room. Getting anxious for it to come in but still don't know what I will stock it with yet, nor how I will aquascape. Pretty sure I'm going to try live plants but have made no decisions on substrate, type of rocks, wood, and etc. Have 3 or 4 weeks to try and decide.

My 55 passed the leak test and I used Flourite for substrate as I want to go plants also but I rinsed and rinsed and still after filling the tank tonight the water looks like chocolate milk. I'm sure it will settle one day....lol. I put a Rena XL for filtration which is a lot of filter for a 55 on it so hopefully will settle down quickly. Leaning toward making this an Angel tank with perhaps a school of Cardinals and maybe some Rummy's. We'll see.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:15 pm

Ron wrote:

My 55 passed the leak test and I used Flourite for substrate as I want to go plants also but I rinsed and rinsed and still after filling the tank tonight the water looks like chocolate milk. I'm sure it will settle one day....lol. I put a Rena XL for filtration which is a lot of filter for a 55 on it so hopefully will settle down quickly. Leaning toward making this an Angel tank with perhaps a school of Cardinals and maybe some Rummy's. We'll see.

Hooray! It passed the leak test! I love to see other hobbyist enjoy themselves in the hobby. Have a ball my friend. I feel your excitement...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:14 pm

Starting to clear up nicely today. I bragged when I was in Richmond about all the fish stores in my area and what great fish and plants they had. What a difference 8 years has made here. One store still remains with awesome fish selections both salt and freshwater but very little plants. Looks like I'm stuck having to order on line or perhaps driving to Columbus about 1 1/2 hours where they have an amazing store called Aquarium Adventures. To bad there were some wonderful stores here before I left. Looks like on line ordering going to win out. Anyone have some good suggestions?

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:34 pm

http://www.aquariumplants.com

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Ron wrote:
Starting to clear up nicely today. I bragged when I was in Richmond about all the fish stores in my area and what great fish and plants they had. What a difference 8 years has made here. One store still remains with awesome fish selections both salt and freshwater but very little plants. Looks like I'm stuck having to order on line or perhaps driving to Columbus about 1 1/2 hours where they have an amazing store called Aquarium Adventures. To bad there were some wonderful stores here before I left. Looks like on line ordering going to win out. Anyone have some good suggestions?

Hey Ron, I suggest finding or helping to start a fish club there similar to CVAS. Your work here has had huge impact... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:17 pm

Well, water finally cleared and I used Quick Start to help get water and bacteria balanced and went to lfs and purchased some Hygro Angustifolia, and some Water Sprite along with 4 Harlequin Rasboras to start the tank off. Right now not to worried about my aquascaping as just trying to make sure everything in balance and growing. Going to take the project slowly and will re aquascape as I go along.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Nice going Ron... Cool
Your experience is showing. I was talking to a guy at a cookout yesterday. He told me he was setting up his first tank. I said the LPS gave him a list of things that he needed to buy and do to get on the fast track. What he really needs is a plan like yours...Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 55 setup   

Back to top Go down

55 setup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-