Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Raleigh, Sat Aug 8: Inverts, Herps, Snails & BATFISH Pre-Order List

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Raleigh, Sat Aug 8: Inverts, Herps, Snails & BATFISH Pre-Order List   Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:47 pm

Raleigh Aquarium Society -- experimental SATURDAY meeting!

Joshua Wiegert is coming down to speak to you all on Saturday, 8 / 8 2015. He will be presenting on Aquatic Creatures -- those animals that can go into your fish tank, but aren't fish. In addition to being a well known author and speaker, Joshua runs Batfish Aquatics, which you may have seen regularly at the Raleigh Aquarium Society's various workshops and auctions. He is currently running a pre-order for fish to bring down to the RAS Meeting.

A pre-order is a little different than the usual way of ordering fishes from Batfish Aquatics. These fish are currently available from some of Joshua's suppliers, but he does not yet have them on hand. By putting a deposit down, your committing to buying the fish at the price once they arrive, and securing them. This allows Joshua to bring in fish that he might not ordinarily have, knowing that they'll have a home waiting for them, as well as helping to boost orders from the suppliers. As a result, the prices are a little lower, and Joshua is also offering a 10-percent discount to people who will be attending the RAS meeting!

You can view the two pre order lists by clicking:
Batfish Aquatics | Pre Order Lists (there's a link on this page for the second list, as well).

There's always some overlap on the lists, and as a general rule, you'll get what you pay for. More expensive fish tend to be larger. When in doubt, send Joshua an e-mail at BatfishAquatics@gmail.com.

The cut-off for ordering from the pre order is only TUESDAY, the 14th, so you only really have the weekend and Monday to look at this list; if you are planning on attending the RAS Meet, be sure to get in on the pre order!

You can also order fish from Joshua's regular in stock list up until Thursday August 6th. That list can be found at: Batfish Aquatics | Freshwater Fishes.

Sat Aug 8 at 1:00 pm - NCSU Vet School (South Theater room -- from main entrance lobby go downstairs (under the whale) past the library and straight thru two double doors.  Meeting room is on the right.  If anybody wants to go seining, visit shops, eat dinner or whatever afterwards, we can plan something.

NOV 14-15: Another Saturday 1:00 pm meeting, followed by our Fall Auction on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Raleigh, Sat Aug 8: Inverts, Herps, Snails & BATFISH Pre-Order List   Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:03 pm

The Saturday Aug 8 RAS meeting plans are getting more interesting: Since the idea was to have kid-friendly meetings, we'll be showing some movies after the meeting: First, a National Geographic video on Sharks, followed by the 1975 blockbuster movie "Jaws" ... with Popcorn and drinks of course. The meeting and movies are FREE and open to everyone.

The following day, Sun Aug 9, we have two adventures planned: 1) a trip to the Fort Fisher Aquarium; or 2) a native fish/plant field trip to Lake Waccamaw, with our speaker Joshua Wiegert. I'm leading the Waccamaw trip.

At Lake Waccamaw and nearby blackwater swamp streams, we can expect to see a variety of killifishes, sunfishes, pygmy sunfish, swampfish, pirate perch, mudminnows, pickerel, bullheads, madtoms, shiners, and possibly bowfin and longnose gar, plus many interesting aquatic and emergent plants (including the Cape Fear Spatterdock made famous by Innes's Exotic Aquarium Fishes book) .

Folks planning to go on the native fish field trip can meet at 10:30 am at Burger King on Jones Sausage Rd, just east of I-40 exit 303, southeast of Raleigh. (BK address is 3101 Integrity Drive, Garner, NC 27529). From there it's about 2 hrs to Lake Waccamaw. We'll explore around Columbus County until about 4:00, then head back. I have a scientific/educational permit to cover the group, so you wont need a fishing license while collecting with our group. I also have a few extra nets, but BYO if you have any. Folks coming from places other than Raleigh-Durham who might want to meet us at the Lake, contact me and I'll give you my cell #. ~~ Gerald

If you're interested in the Fort Fisher Aquarium trip, talk to Michael Maieli at the RAS meeting on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Raleigh, Sat Aug 8: Inverts, Herps, Snails & BATFISH Pre-Order List

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: What's Going On?-