Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Address:
2408 Wards Road
Lynchburg, VA 24502

Phone:
434-239-6787

Facebook:  
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pet-Aquatic-Warehouse/140786425942080?sk=timeline

The aquatics section begins with a beautiful tank of mixed cichlids, featuring green LED lighting in the rockwork.

The entire lower level of P.A.W. is devoted to aquarium stock and equipment.

Tanks of larger fish line one wall. To the right is a lighted display of base rock, lava rock, slate, and wood.

At the end of the aisle and to the left is an enormous room of tanks, stands, substrates, and other dry goods.

A beautiful planted, 150-gallon high aquarium attracts the attention of visitors of all ages.

The saltwater section can be seen to the left.

This is one of several aisles featuring fish from around the world.

"Family Owned & Operated for 13 Years"

Steve W
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:55 pm

Nice set up might have to take a trip out that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:12 am

It is definitely worth the trip. Ancistra' [Deb] and I visited this past Friday and they were very receptive towards supporting our club! We were introduced by the owner to his son, Chris, who manages the fish department, and CJ, who is the assistant manager of fish. He's the one you need to call ahead of time to order what you need, and he'll have it there.

Chris and CJ stuck with us on and off the whole time we were there, making sure we saw and had what we needed, and answered all of our questions. We gave them our club business cards (I need to get some printed up for everyone) and they were very receptive to our suggestion that our club members come out there together for a group visit. They were very impressed that we drove from Richmond to shop there, and we explained that they have a big selection of healthy fish, and it is managed by very knowledgeable staff. They have A LOT in the way of supplies and decor, too.

They definitely support the hobbyist so at some point we can arrange for all of us to go out there. It takes 2 hours to get there, but we took Rt 60 and it was scenic, without traffic. We need to plan our visit at a time when they have the most stock in, since so many fish are seasonal. I will get in touch with CJ to determine when would be the best time to visit. He said to give him a week's notice and he can order in whatever fish our club members might want to pick up.

View user profile
JB
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 am

Sounds like you two had fun. How big is their selection of cichlids and how are their prices?

JB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:19 am

They had a decent selection, but they were in the process of rearranging the aisles so they didn't have as much as they have had in the past, and CJ also said this was "off season" for many shipments.

Their prices are variable. Some fish had much better prices than you get locally, and some were high, IMO. However, in general their prices are better for most things because, as the owner explained, he owns the building and does not have the overhead costs that the big box stores have.

As I mentioned in another thread, the premium dog food I use was a third cheaper than what I get it for in Richmond, which is nothing to sneeze at, considering how much food I go through. They have a separate room that is nothing but dog food, and they have every brand you've ever heard of, and some you haven't. Great selection there.

Word of warning to anyone who might be sensitive to this issue: they do sell puppies there. I choose not to go into that area of the store and prefer to ignore it, but I don't think pet stores should sell puppies. The other great features of this place override it for me. Maybe it shouldn't, but there you go.

View user profile
JB
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:52 am

Thanx for the info Liz.

JB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 am

Liz and I made the trip to P.A.W. on Friday, March 2. The owner greeted us pretty much as soon as we walked in and seemed very impressed - even flattered - that we considered his store worth a two hour drive from Richmond.

Well, for those of you who are wondering, the store IS worth the drive. Even better if you have a friend to go with because you will spend so much time in the store that you will need to take a break and so you'll want a buddy to go to lunch with!

We started off in dog foods because Liz and I both have dogs and are concerned about nutrition. After a fairly complete talk about Nutri-Source brand, he gave us some samples and took us to the aquatics department on the lower level to introduce us to his son, Chris. Chris is the general manager of the entire aquatics section, or maybe the entire store, I didn't quite catch which. It doesn't matter, though, because Chris will help you out with whatever you need and set you in the right direction. Both Chris and his father, David, are truly cut out for greeting the public and making customers welcome. This is very important at all times in retail but when you've driven two hours it's essential. ⭐

Besides being pleasant and helpful with customers, David and Chris know their products and will spend as much time as needed to tell you all about them. They do not point you in the direction of the item but take you there and introduce you to the manager of that area. They are determined to treat you right and get you what you need. ⭐

After talking for some time to Chris about metal stands, and a number of other fish-related things, we started to walk off in the direction of the aquariums. Chris insisted on taking us to CJ, the manager of the fish section and introducing us to him. CJ was fun to work with. He let us browse the tanks at our own speed but was always there to answer our questions and check things out for us. He insisted he could order anything we wanted and that special orders were no problem at all. ⭐

I may take him up on this. The selection of catfish was very good. I'm not saying it was at the level of Pier Aquatics in Wigan, UK *lol* but it was very good - much better than I'm used to. True, many of the Corydoras (corys) were sold out but it was clear they regularly brought in about eight different species. They had the odd medium-sized cat in the form of an attractive Panaque species and listed, but not seen, were some kind of Hemiloricaria. I need to check that out! Banjo catfish babies, juvenile chocolate rhino plecos, rubberlip Chaetostoma, and a few other catfish all from different familes were represented. Of greatest interest to me were the woodcats, Auchenipterid species. CJ - who knows his stuff generally - had these come in labeled as Mystus, so he left them as that. However, I've been looking into woodcats seriously for the last few years and I recognized these as some sort of Auchenipterus. Are you still with me? *lol* I know a big *YAWN* might be welling up from some of you but you have to see it from my point of view. This is a real find! I NEVER see woodcats for sale - Azalea had one of the more common species several months ago, for the first time - and to find them where I did not expect them was so exciting! ⭐ I couldn't buy them on the spot as their tank is not set up yet, but CJ said they are usually easy for him to obtain so I see a *special order* in my future! ⭐

In the aisles of smaller tanks there are plenty of characins and cyprininds to choose from - some you've seen before but plenty of new things. Liz bought all of the "peppermint" tetras (Hyphessobrycon bentosi) available - neither of us had seen this species before. Small SA cichlids, livebearers, barbs, danio relatives and so on are all there and I am definitley leaving things out because I was so taken with the catfish I could not focus on anything else. ⭐

Do not ask me about specific cichlids - this is not my area and they all look alike to me at some point. I will say that when Liz and I were there about two years ago we saw a wonderful Jurupari cichlid (Satanoperca species) - about 10" grown, and all spangly the way only they can be. It was a beuatiful fish and I almost went home and set up a 55 gallon for it. I may still do that one day.

So what did I buy? I came away with three freshwater shrimp, all Caridina species in different varieties - "red crystal", "black crystal", and "orange tiger"; three celestial pearl danios (Danio margaritatus) which was all they had; one lone cardinal tetra to add to the group I have already; and one juvenile Panaque maccus, or clown pleco, which had wedged itself into the back of a sealed drainpipe. It took CJ the whole time we were there to get him out! ⭐

What a great trip!
ThumbsUp

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:55 am

Jen wanted to take a trip up there this week but can not take the time off work to do it. It looks like it is worth the trip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:01 am

Call ahead and talk to CJ, definitely. He'll tell you what he'll have in stock and also order something for you ahead of time. Tell 'em Liz and Deborah sent you! lol!

View user profile
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:05 am

I wonder if he can order ivanacara adoketa :p

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:17 am

If you're planning on going anyway I'd for sure call him and see. It might depend on the collecting season.

View user profile
vanilla.exe
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:14 pm

Sounds like a really cool place, if not just for the fish, then for the selection of dog food as well. I see that some of you are into dog nutrition, is that like making sure they get the proper diet type of thing? Do they have a decent selection of cat food as well? I have a cat and she only gets grainless commercial foods and raw meat. I'm always on the lookout for decent brands and places to get them.

DL Lawrence
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:59 am

Hi All-

Just wanted to chime in here. I recently was given responsibility for the Lynchburg branch of my company, in addition to Charlottesville, and am now working in Lynchburg two days a week, Wednesday and Thursday. I certainly agree with all the postive comments posted here on the P.A.W.. I was glad to find it!

I stop by every week when I'm in town to see what's new. CJ is very cool, and very helpful, and knowledgeable. The other folks that work there are quite friendly and helpful as well. They have a great selection, clean tanks, some awesome display tanks and a boatload of accessories and stuff. I'm no long-time expert hobbyist in aquaria, but they seem to have just about everything a freshwater or saltwater enthusiast might need. I've gotten some plants from them (the plant selection is very good), which have done great, and hopefully will be adding some livestock from them to my 55 FW soon.

Between this store and Azalea, considering the effect of the internet on small businesses like these, I think we're very fortunate to have two really nice stores like this in central Virginia, so I'm certainly going to support them.

There's some cool eateries in Lynchburg also, so as Liz mentioned, it's well worth a day trip up to see them- I could burn a few hours in there looking around, that's for sure. Cool place.

JMHO, YMMV, and all other usual disclaimers apply. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks for your input, DL! I'd like to organize a road trip there for our club sometime.

I have an Expedition that holds 8 people, so I'd be happy to drive. I'll give them a call and see when a good time would be, like maybe in the spring when more fish are being imported. I've been there a few times when the selection was not as good as at other times, so I'd want to be sure before we went, though it is worth it, and its a scenic drive, too.

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:57 pm

DL, I agree with you about their plant selection and I like the way they have a couple of planted tanks set up to show you what's possible.

True, too, that PAW and Azalea are the superior LFSs in the central Virginia area and we should definitely support them.

Liz, put me down for a seat in the Expedition! I'm up for any road trip to PAW! cheers

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Wow, what a great store! Our field trip fell through sadly yesterday. We plan to reschedule hopefully soon. Around 12:30 yesterday I actually had some time to kill so I thought what the heck and drove down myself. I had never been there, and I sure was not disappointed. Beyond the doubt some of the cleanest and clearest displays I have seen in a store in a long time. Very healthy fish, great selections and friendly and knowledgeable staff. Prices on fish and plants were quite good. Filters, tanks, lights, media, and etc. typical LFS pricing but they had very good selections and parts too. I bought some Peppermint Tetra's, Male Bushynose, and a couple nice Koi Angels, and asked them to bag special for 2 hour trip back. They happily complied and gave me a shipping box to put fish in to help with the trip home. Now that's customer service! Sure looking forward to returning back and hope we can go there as a group soon. I'm quite sure you would enjoy also.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:26 pm

Ron wrote:
Wow, what a great store! Our field trip fell through sadly yesterday. We plan to reschedule hopefully soon. Around 12:30 yesterday I actually had some time to kill so I thought what the heck and drove down myself. I had never been there, and I sure was not disappointed. Beyond the doubt some of the cleanest and clearest displays I have seen in a store in a long time. Very healthy fish, great selections and friendly and knowledgeable staff. Prices on fish and plants were quite good. Filters, tanks, lights, media, and etc. typical LFS pricing but they had very good selections and parts too. I bought some Peppermint Tetra's, Male Bushynose, and a couple nice Koi Angels, and asked them to bag special for 2 hour trip back. They happily complied and gave me a shipping box to put fish in to help with the trip home. Now that's customer service! Sure looking forward to returning back and hope we can go there as a group soon. I'm quite sure you would enjoy also.
I'm disappointed, I wanted to be there... Sad  I hope to be included in a future trip. Is there any possibility of a weekday visit? bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RylandVT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:46 pm

I hope there will be plans to reschedule the field trip-I am certainly interested now that I'm back in town and can think about adding more fish to my tanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:47 pm

Since this is my LFS, I thought it would be a good idea to give my perspective. What can I say except that it's a great place to go for the hobbyist. If you can be there when it's not crowded, and either CJ or Max is there, you can get great help and information. Most of the staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. They perform free FW testing and also SW for a small fee. I've definitely had many FW test performed until my master kit arrived. I can't seem to go in and not come out with something...air pump, sponge filter, rock, etc. We also buy our dog food there...they special order a variety that our other "pets" love. They have changed a few things around, they also have a "frag" (?) tank for SW / reef tank enthusiasts and some really nice SW display tanks. If anyone is interested and it's okay, I could take some pictures and post them. Also, I and my wife would be glad to meet you there if you decide to make the trip.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:42 am

Nick_B wrote:
... If anyone is interested and it's okay, I could take some pictures and post them.  Also, I and my wife would be glad to meet you there if you decide to make the trip.

Nick, please post some updated pictures.  That would be great. Very Happy 

A CVAS field trip to PAW is definitely in the works.  Liz and I have gone together a couple of times (see the previous posts) and it is totally worth the trip.  We're thinking of setting something up for one of our our "off" months, April or June, maybe.

Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Here at the pictures I took today.  I went by with the intention of only taking these and not buying anything.  Well, I couldn't do it, bought a small packet of Omega Veggie wafers to try out.

Saltwater display tank closeup, they have another but I did not photograph it.

Coral Frags, SW Section

One of the tanksthat initially inspired me  (along with KGTropicals/John's 240  Very Happy ) .  All the fish in this tank were randomly chosen from an assorted tank of mbunas, at approx. 1 - 1.5" when introduced to the display tank.  I think they have added a couple of OB peacocks also.

Planted Tank Section

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:51 am

Great review Liz and Deb -- thanks for the details. Much appreciated! Being relatively new to the area this forum has been a great resource for information.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:09 am

Pet & Aquatic Warehouse
September 13

30% OFF ALL FRESHWATER FISH AND INVERTEBRATES!!!

The largest Tropical Fish Department in Central Virginia is right here in Lynchburg and right now our entire stock of freshwater fish and live plants are 30% off. 

If you have been thinking about setting up an aquarium now is the perfect time to take advantage of our tank sale as well! Our staff is friendly and knowledgeable and are happy to answer any questions you might have!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sat May 30, 2015 10:11 am

Pet & Aquatic Warehouse
23 hrs ·
Two Truckloads of FRESHWATER fish this week! Here is a list of all the new fish (but certainly not everything in stock)
Blue Paradise Gourami
Gold Gourami
Black Ruby Barb
Checkerboard Barb
Tank Raised Polypterus senegalus Bicher
Small Clown Loach
Dojo Weather Loach
Large Kuhlii Loach
Sumo Loach
Archer Fish
Glass Catfish
Green and Gold Corydoras Catfish
Julii Corydoras Catfish
Panda Corydoras Catfish
Pygmy Corydoras Catfish
San Juan Corydoras Catfish
Tank Raised Sterbai Corydoras Catfish
Polkadot Pictus Catfish
Albinus Rubber Pleco L146a
Pseudotropheus acei Cichlid
Albino socolofi Cichlid
Chipokae Cichlid
Deepwater Placidochromis Electra Cichlid
Cynotilapia afra "Jalo Reef" Cichlid
Dimidiochromis compressiceps Cichlid
Albino Flame Tail Zebra Cichlid
Redtop Ice Blue Cobalt Zebra Cichlid
Redfin Copadichromis borleyi Cichlid
Kribensis Cichlid
Firemouth Meeki Cichlid
German Blue Ram Cichlid
Small Peacock Bass
Small Albino Tiger Oscar
Assorted Oscars
Celestial Danio
Freshwater Snowflake Moray Eel
Calico Fantail Goldfish
Red Lionhead Goldfish
Fundulopanchax gardneri Killifish
Male Nothobranchius rubriprinnis Killifish
Medium Dawn Platy
Peach Tuxedo Platy
Medium Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy
Assorted Female Delta Guppy
Assorted Male Delta Guppy
Male Endlers Livebearer
Creamsicle Lyretail Mollie
Assorted Balloon Body Molly
Beckfords Pencilfish
South American Silver Gar
Dwarf Freshwater BB Puffer
Figure Eight Puffer
Leopard Puffer
Orange Saddle Fugu Puffer
Neon Dwarf Rainbow
Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Chinese Algae Eater
Otocinclus Algae Eater
Medium Bala Shark
Reticulated Teacup Stingray
Black Phantom Tetra
Blind Cave Tetra
Blue Splash Tetra
Medium Cardinal Tetra
King Kerri Tetra
Longfin Blushing White Skirt Tetra
Red & Blue Columbian Tetra
African Red Eye Tetra
Rummynose Tetra
Cherry Red Shrimp
Zebra Nerite Snail
Marble Mollie
Assorted Platy
Purple Passion Danio
White Cloud Danio
Mystery Snail
Large Angelfish
Tiger Barb
Albino Tiger Barb
Green Tiger Barb
Black Skirt Tetra
Black Neon Tetra
Glowlight Tetra
Head and Tail Light Tetra
Medium Neon Tetra
Red Eye Tetra
Serpae Tetra
Plecostomus 2in
Small Bushy Nose Pleco
Small Albino Bushy Nose Pleco
Small Blue Gourami
Moonlight Gourami Large
Snakeskin Gourami Large
Small Albino Cory Catfish
Small Green Cory Catfish
Medium Assorted African Cichlids
Pundamilia nyererei
Regal Blue Peacock Cichlid
Demasoni Cichlids
Medium Maingano Cichlid
Banana Plant
Dwarf Sagittaria subulata Plant
Russian Moss Ball
Assorted Potted Plants
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sat May 30, 2015 7:17 pm

Wow, I must check this place out - great variety in that list and from the images it looks like a clean, well cared for shop.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Area Fish Stores - Locations and Reviews :: Central Virginia Fish Stores-