Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Fish eggs came and went??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Fish eggs came and went??   Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:51 am

Strangely enough the outflow pipe for the new filter provided the angelfish what they wanted to lay eggs.

They laid somewhere between 160 and 200 eggs on the pipe. I noticed the eggs when I noticed aggressive behavior by the pair, but they could not have been there for more than a day or two.

I turned the light off at 10:30, and when the light came back on at 7:30, that clutch had been decimated. Nothing left and the pipe looked cleaner than it had started off with.

I assume that some fish in the tank had a buffet, but I dont know which fish did the eating. Most of my fish do not seem nocturnal, they typically sleep at night with the light off. The eggs were also very close to the surface and not many of my fish hang near the surface nor do they engage the bigger more aggressive angels often.

How long do the eggs typically sit before hatching? Which fish do you think was the culprit? Do Angels typcially lay in the same place twice? If so I could fashion a netting to keep hungry fish away.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish eggs came and went??   Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:46 am

My guess would be the parents ate the eggs. It has been my experience that when an Angel pair lay in a community tank they will eat the eggs after a couple of days if I do not intervene.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish eggs came and went??   Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:02 pm

I agree it happens in my Community tank so frequently that I expect it. In my Breeder tanks the parents often move the eggs in a couple of days. It's possible that the parents may have moved the eggs but doubtful. The good news is that you do have a Breeding pair and options that you may or no pursue... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Fish eggs came and went??   Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:54 am

Agree with above. It is going to be just about impossible to get any eggs to survive under a community setting. You'd have to set them up in their own tank for them to be relaxed enough to focus on the spawn and hatch them out. Even then, it could take them a few tries to get it right. It is still very exciting!!

View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish eggs came and went??   Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:49 pm

Far as I know they do NOT move the eggs.  They move the newly-hatched fry (wrigglers) which hatch in about 2 days, then eat the empty egg shells.  But yes, if the parents cannot keep other fish far enough away from the spawning site (impossible in a tank smaller than 4-ft long) then they often eat their own eggs or fry.  Better to recycle the nutrients and try again later than to feed a competitor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish eggs came and went??   Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:37 pm

My experience in my Breeder tanks is much different than in my Community tank. The fish behavior is about the same but without the stimulus of other threatening fish. In the strictest sense of the word; egg, I somewhat agree. In the broader sense, many laymen consider fry to be free swimming fish and not wigglers. I can’t testify that Angelfish do move eggs. I can say that I have been surprised many times by finding wigglers several days later to a spawn that I thought was missing the next day.

Here's a link to what may not be the true scientific definitions of the growth stages but widely accepted by many hobbyist...TAS Angelfish Growth Stages

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Fish eggs came and went??   Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:16 am

Thats a great link, thanks for sharing!

Typically how long will a female wait between spawns? If she laid eggs Aug 23rd, then how soon "assuming ideal conditions" could it be before another eggs laying attempt?

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish eggs came and went??   Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:23 pm

My angelfish spawn about every 1.5 to 2 weeks. They are also in a 40g community tank. I attempted a couple of times to raise the fry in a breeder box with no real luck. I may try again this winter when school stuff slows down for a little and all my outdoor around the house jobs have slowed down as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish eggs came and went??   Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:06 am

Thanks for the clarification Johnny. Yes, I was lumping wigglers with "fry" rather than as "eggs". The definitions used in that link are good concepts: "Eggs" (until hatching), "Wigglers" (hatching to swimming), and "Fry" (swimming).

JohnnyAMH wrote:

Here's a link to what may not be the true scientific definitions of the growth stages but widely accepted by many hobbyist...TAS Angelfish Growth Stages
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fish eggs came and went??   

Back to top Go down

Fish eggs came and went??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-