Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Address:
2408 Wards Road
Lynchburg, VA 24502

Phone:
434-239-6787

Facebook:  
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pet-Aquatic-Warehouse/140786425942080?sk=timeline

The aquatics section begins with a beautiful tank of mixed cichlids, featuring green LED lighting in the rockwork.

The entire lower level of P.A.W. is devoted to aquarium stock and equipment.

Tanks of larger fish line one wall. To the right is a lighted display of base rock, lava rock, slate, and wood.

At the end of the aisle and to the left is an enormous room of tanks, stands, substrates, and other dry goods.

A beautiful planted, 150-gallon high aquarium attracts the attention of visitors of all ages.

The saltwater section can be seen to the left.

This is one of several aisles featuring fish from around the world.

"Family Owned & Operated for 13 Years"

AuthorMessage
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sun May 31, 2015 9:34 am

That's a great list of fish. I love you  Many hobby standards and a few surprises.  It would be worth the trip for the San Juan corys!      

Just a note for the catfish fans about the L146a listed as a "rubber pleco."  It's not.  Rubber pleco is the nickname for Chaetostoma species.  There is no catfish by the name of L146a.  Whatever PAW has, either the the name is wrong, or the fish is wrong.  It would be nice to live close enough to pop in and see!  

There IS a pleco known as the blonde rubber pleco, C. formosae (L187b old number, L444 new number), and that may be what PAW has.  They are not uncommon, I had a small group of them for a few years.  Would be nice to see them again.

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:02 pm

Made it to PAWS today. Awesome African Cichlids in stock. Huge males. Just be prepared to pay. Some of the fish were labeled wrong I believe. I almost know enough to know, but did not want to be rude and tell them. Great store!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:20 am

@Fward wrote:
Just be prepared to pay.

How much are the males, on average, listed at?

Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:19 pm

They were selling them as a pair. (male/Female) From $79.00 to $109.00 a pair. They had a OB peacock about the size of a large hand. He was a beauty. Also some sunshines and red shoulder. I bought two Lethrinops juvies while I was there. Hard to find.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:37 am

They made a big mistake in housing a single female with the male. By Tuesday evening, they had removed all the individual females and put them together, but too late. One was almost dead, another severly injured, and the third looked in bad shape also. I had told them Africans never do well as a pair but have to be a breeding colony of 3-5 females per male. Otherwise, the male will harass the single female. I know the person who traded in the cichlids and have a difficult time understanding why he sold his fish as "pairs". Also, the price seems too high.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:30 am

I saw the females beat to a pulp. I told the employee too when I was there to move her. Usually the only reason to sell the Cichlids in pairs is to get rid of the female, as most want the pretty males. Wish your friend would of been on here, I would love that OB. Just not for 100 dollars lol. Nick I have some OB fry growing out, as well as my usual Dragonblood flood. My Dragonblood OB spawned with a regular female OB. Fry look pretty healthy. Wonder what they will look like?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:24 am

@Fward wrote:
Lethrinops juvies

Those are WONDERFUL fish, be patient - in my experience they are slow growers.

As Nick has mentioned the pairing is unusual for this species...

No question with Malawi Haps/Peacocks: size and color condition dictate price - the large beautifully colored up males come with a price.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pet & Aquatic Warehouse (P.A.W.)   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Area Fish Stores - Locations and Reviews :: Central Virginia Fish Stores-