Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:26 pm

For sale or trade or to a good home:  Iodotropheus sprengerae  - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids

Excellent addition to any Mbuna aquarium.  These cichlids are African Mbuna that are docile for an Mbuna. They are rusty in color but the males have a slight purple color on their bodies.

Available is a breeding colony of 1 male and two females and one other larger Rusty that maybe a male also.  4 total adults.

In addition there are many younger fry of various sizes. 8+  --> The adult Rusties have been breeding readily.

I am in Palmyra VA and all the fish are in a separate holding tank now.  The pictures below are from the internet and not from my tank.

Male:

Group:

More information:

Rusty Cichlid article

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:02 am

Do you want to move them ASAP? If not would you consider putting them in the JRAS Auction? It will be held on October 17, but you could drop the fish off with David at the next meeting or make some other arrangement with him. Just an idea.

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Deb, I was offering them here first and if necessary then take them to the auction. I think there will be a meeting this month (SEPT) also so was going to maybe bring some there also.

I have the room for them now in one of my 55 gal tanks so not urgent.

Thanks,

Steve

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:36 am

Sold the adults at the auction (and three juveniles)

I do have about 12 fry left if anyone would like them?

Back to top Go down
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:58 pm

What size aquarium do you recommend?

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:15 pm

@donald

All the Mbuna aquariums I have setup have been 4' or 6' (Mostly 4' tanks). That gives enough room for many rocks and hiding spots. African Mbuna cichlids require hiding places. Depending on the Size of tank and the filtration, then the number of fish could be recommended. The rustles work well with all the other Mbuna I had in my tank. They are not aggressive, but still Africans, and worked well with Yellow Labs, Aceis, Maingano, OB Zebras and Socolofis in a 125. They breed a lot. In a species only tank you would have more than enough in a short time period.

So like everything else, it depends.

Hope that helps Donald,

Steve R

Back to top Go down
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:20 pm

These are really nice fish! I had forgotten about the great color rusties can have until I saw Steve's. I'm just getting back into Africans after about a 5 or 6-year hiatus, and they can be a lot of fun.

My nephew may be interested in some of these young ones, Steve, so I'll look into it.

View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:46 pm

The Rusties he had at the auction were great. I'm glad Jesse went home with them. At least I think he went home - he might have headed straight to another auction because his itchy bidding arm was still lathered up.

Liz, not to totally hijack the thread, but if you are interested in peacocks or Victorians, let me know. I have quite a few breeding right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:57 pm

@scruiz

Yes. That helps a lot. Thanks.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:29 am

@lkelly wrote:

Liz, not to totally hijack the thread, but if you are interested in peacocks or Victorians, let me know.  I have quite a few breeding right now.

Thanks, Lane!

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids   

Back to top Go down

Iodotropheus sprengerae - African Mbuna Rusty Cichlids

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Marketplace :: For Sale, Trade, or Free-