Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

introduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
elizabethgregory
CVASMember

PostSubject: introduction   Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Hello everybody, I am Liz and I have been keeping fish since I was a child. I live in the mountains, water is really hard here. There are plenty of plants and fish that come from hard water areas so these are the ones I keep. I have a 125 gal tank, planted, with a small number of turquoise Rainbow fish, and algae eaters. Having a tank this large is really a dream come true. Fish do seem to do better and live longer. In the last year articles on dirt in the substrate made sense to me. My tank has gravel and Flourite,and has been running for 15 years. I froze some dirt and added it slowly under the gravel over a few weeks, and it seems to have helped the plants look stronger. Not right away but slowly plants grew better. lighting is just 2 T12's (very old), and 2 strips of T5s. Now I'm thinking of adding some sand over the gravel. Well that's enough for now. there really are no serious aquarium shops in our area. We are near Charlottesville Va.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Welcome Liz! I am over her in Farmville. When you want to turn that tank in to a Dragonblood African Cichlid paradise hit me up I have quite a few. Smile They love hard water. I envy you plant lovers. I have hard scape no plants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Welcome! Your 125 gallon sounds great. One day you will have to post some photos and tell us in more detail about your plants and how you laid the soil in. We look forward to hearing more from you. Very Happy

verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:55 am

Welcome @elizabethgregory to the forum. As @Deb mentioned it would be great to see some pictures of the tank and some details of the behind the scenes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:10 am

Welcome to the CVAS and I also live in the Charlottsville area. I have Aqua water -- expensive, but my tanks are doing well. I try to also collect rain water here. Would love to see some photos of your tank as it sounds very nice. I also have African Cichlid Mbunas that are in hard scape tanks but I have other tanks with plants in them. I am experimenting with dirt/clay in some potted plants in a couple of my smaller tanks.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:06 am

Hello, Liz! I think I will easily remember your name.  Wink

Welcome to the forum, and you are in the right place. I look forward to seeing pics of your setup and learning more about you!

View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:44 am

I also have added sand in tanks that had gravel, to fill in the spaces and help keep fish poop and excess food from getting deeper into the substrate. I use soil in containers only, so when I need to thin out plants I can remove the container. There's some lovely native fish in your area that do well in hard water, such as mountain redbelly dace. Welcome! ~ Gerald
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Welcome to CVAS Liz. What algae eaters are you keeping?

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Liz Hello
Welcome to CVAS and this forum. There are plenty of cool people who frequent this forum. We try to help each other with suggestions, support and even some trading. You will find that there are many like minded people here who understand our passion for aquaria... great

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:28 am

Howdy from the Lynchburg area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:49 pm

@elizabethgregory wrote:
I have a 125 gal tank, planted, with a small number of turquoise Rainbow fish, and algae eaters. Having a tank this large is really a dream come true. Fish do seem to do better and live longer.  

Hi Liz, 

Thank you for posting the introduction - it's nice to hear from folks "In the Valley". 

I'm in Fredericksburg and as you can see by the responses there are people from all over the state (and Gerald's from down in Tarheel land!!) posting and sharing on the forum.

I have a 75 gallon with 7 Turquoise Rainbows, I really love the tank and  can only imagine how great it must be to have rainbows in a 6 foot 125 - 
VERY active tank!

rockin\'

Not to hijack your intro thread, but I'd also like to expand on your thought that fish do better in bigger tanks - it seems to make sense, anyone else have thoughts or comments on this?

Like the others would love to see some images of your aquarium(s).

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Welcome Liz, Sure nice to have you stop by. You have really found a great Forum here with a lot of great folks who love to hear about you, your tank(s), fish, success stories and even those that did not work so well. I used to be in Richmond but got kicked out and now hiding out in Dayton Ohio. Miss all the good folks back there and all the help and fun times we shared talking fish, aquascaping, breeding, illnesses, and so on. I sure learned a lot from these great folks, and anxcious to learn from you too. You've got one up already on the rest of the group though as you're a little closer to PAWS then we were in Richmond. Great fish store!
Hope you can stay with us and as you already saw from the other responses we love pics!
Ron

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:05 am

Hope we didn't scare her off with our enthusiastic replies! *lol*
@elizabethgregory, we would love to hear more from you.  Anytime you are ready, just join in! Very Happy

thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: introduction   Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:23 pm

We are so darn nice that people get sick of us Smile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: introduction   

Back to top Go down

introduction

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-