Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Blue-tailed Fire-bellied Newts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Blue-tailed Fire-bellied Newts   Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:16 pm

I got a pair of Blue-tailed Fire-bellied Newts from Joshua Wiegert (Batfish Aquatics) when he came down to speak at the Raleigh club meeting in Aug.   He said these are one of very few newt/salamander species that can live at room-temp year round and still breed (most others including our local red-spotted newts need a winter chill to breed).  He wasn't kidding.  A month later I have ~ 20 hatchlings and ~ 15 more eggs developing.  They live in a 3-gal critter-keeper tank on my kitchen table.  Temp is mid-70s to low-80s.  Here's some pix of eggs and larvae taken with my Veho digital microscope (basically a web-cam with a magnifying lens, about $40).  See link below for more info and pix of adults. Mine are hatching in about 10 days; much quicker than the development time reported in the caudata article. Link:  http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_cyanurus.shtml  

... sorry cant get photo hosting to work ... i select pic, click host it, and nothing happens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Blue-tailed Fire-bellied Newts

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-