Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Another stocking suggestion thread!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello, all.

It has been a long (long) time since I've been stumped on how to stock a tank, but I have a different situation now and desire something different as well. I've kept so many species by now that I'm leaning towards oddballs or something a little interesting, but therein lies the dilemma.

This is a 29-gal that sits on the bottom rack of a stand with a 20L on top, as in the pic below:

Currently the tank has a bunch of pristella tetras and a lone goldfish (I had to remove him from my tank at work and put him here temporarily, but this might be a good place for him, with the tetras and plants removed). This location is very high traffic, and, of course, it sits almost ON the floor, so lots of feet and huge dogs walking by at all times. The species for this tank must not be the easily startled kind.

I don't want to do the plants/rocks thing in this aquascape, but would rather go with something a little more simple and minimalist, more arty, as it were, not to match the puffer tank above, but at least to have a similar theme, like solid black sand with a couple of feature structures and a feature fish or two that don't hide all the time and don't startle easily. The objects on the right side of this tank currently are two large glass chunks, actually waste glass from a glass plant, and I've used them in tanks over the years so they might stay in there, maybe even as the only decor, with sand or gravel that complements/contrasts with them and whatever fish I choose.

These requirements, unfortunately, knock out many of the oddballs, many of which like to hide all the time or would be driven nuts by people walking by or dogs looking in the tank. I often clean random slobber smears off the glass of these two tanks, so you have to wonder.....

Goldfish are a good choice, in fact, and I have had them in a similar tank in the kitchen before, since they don't mind a lot of activity and don't need caves or hidey holes, and they'd look great, but I've kept them so much over the past 30 years that I'd not mind keeping something else. I'd love another fish like Otis, the F8 puffer on top, but I have a hard enough time as it is keeping enough snails in the house for him alone, and don't want to have to set up more snail tanks for propagation. Puffers need a diet rich in hard, crunchy snail shells so you don't have to trim their beaks.

The other good thing about goldfish, especially the fancies, like the one in there now, is that they will show up well in this tank, where small fish do not. The pristellas are barely visible, just because the tank is in the kitchen, not near any kind of seating, and you don't really sit and watch these tanks, but you glance over at them, and I'd like the fish to be somewhat visible in the tank as you're walking by. Not a lot to ask, right?

This is really an art project as much as a new setup project, to be quite honest, though I do love my fish and will, of course, care for whatever I put down there, like always, but I care about how it will be enjoyed as well. That's why I don't want to put something timid and skittish in there, even if it would LOOK really good, because it won't be the best fit for this particular spot. For instance, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to grow out a juvenile fire eel in this tank for a future home in the 125, since I am a bit obsessed with this species right now, especially the blue ones, but they are timid and hide all the time, and I would not feel right about keeping one in this tank.

So, any ideas? I know this might be a tall order! I may need to keep my oddball species in another tank in a better location and scrap my concept, stocking this with goldies, but I thought I'd run it past you all here first.

Here's a pic of the dogs who will be frightening the inhabitants of this tank, Captain Kidd and Busa. The young lady is one of my daughters, who sure loves her pups.

View user profile

AuthorMessage
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Johannis are one of my favorite mbunas. I hope it works out.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm fond of these, too, Donald! I'm glad to finally have an opportunity to keep them, where I'm not trying to make it work in a community.

It is pretty embarrassing to be choosing fish based on their color, since I feel a little bit like the lady who wants a cute little dog to match her outfit, lol. It isn't really quite like that, of course, but I did want a nice display. 

However, I think I can have it both ways - a species that will be happy in this tank (perfect size for the male and his harem) and one that looks good with the gravel and the rocks as well. The coral rocks offer them all plenty of places to hang out and get away from each other when necessary.

View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:32 pm

I say a female is holding before the week is out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:34 pm

@Fward you are probably right! Nothing like a big change of scenery, nice fresh water and spacious accommodations, lol

View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:06 am

Ok, the weak female is gone (the healthier females took advantage of her, I think) and now I'm a little torn as to whether I ought to track down another female or two for this male, or leave him be with only two females.

This is, of course, a rather small tank for them to begin with, but I would rather have more females if possible. If I DO add another female or two I'd want to do it promptly before things get settled in.

A 55 would make WAY more sense but I'm going to try to make it work if I can.

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:37 pm

Try adding 2 females and rearrange the rocks. Disperses aggression and breaks up any territories that may have already formed? Just a thought.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Thanks, Donald. I'm inclined to add the females as well, since there isn't any real aggression right now and I'm thinking the chances are good for harmony if I add the females soon. Now the problem is where to find them.....

View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:01 pm

These particular fish came from a generous donation to the JRAS auction by Imperial Tropicals, and they have more, so I have contacted them to see if they can send me some females. Often you can't pick and choose, but maybe they can select some females for me.

View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:38 pm

Liz wrote:
Imperial Tropicals I have contacted them to see if they can send me some females. 

I think this is outstanding!..

Imperial Tropicals have great fish, they were very generous in their donations to the James River Aquarium Society. 

In fact they have been VERY generous to many other clubs as well....

If you really want to reciprocate their goodwill and show appreciation for the donations.... set up a group buy and purchase some fish from Imperial Tropicals.

Liz, if you do decide to purchase the females, please let me know I would like to purchase a fish or two and would be happy to split/share the shipping costs.

I am sorry if I have hijacked your thread, that is not my intent I just wanted you to know I like your possible plan!

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:57 pm

No problem, Tracey - I'm open to a group buy. I sent a request for females only, and am waiting to hear back. I also sung their praises for donating to the club, hoping that might help a bit, lol.

View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:55 pm

I knew Imperial Tropicals was familiar when I clicked on your link. Bought ghost shrimp from their eBay store last year. Smooth transaction. They also list on AquaBid under the seller name Showfishing.

Last edited by Donald on Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Imperial is free shipping over $35.00
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another stocking suggestion thread!!!   

Back to top Go down

Another stocking suggestion thread!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-