Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Greetings all

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Girtlovesdirt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Greetings all   Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Greetings CVAS, my name is Garrett, I'm from Bon Air, VA and I'm excited to be apart of this group. Ive been into the hobby off and on for the past 5 years and I consider myself an educated newbie. A little information about my setup, I currently have a drilled 180 gallon sparsely planted aquarium with schools of cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, zebra loaches siamese algae eaters and snails. Lots of snails. Some rabbit snails I put in there and some others that hitch hiked with plants. They used to be out of control but now they're in balance with proper feedings and the loaches help. The plants are a variety of crypts and anubias. This tank is my dream tank although sadly its been neglected for a while.

I'm happy to report that's all going to change now. After a 2 year hiatus I'm jumping back in full throttle! I have plans in the works to completely redo the 180 and set up a 55 gal as well. I'm currently gathering all the materials to accomplish this and I'm almost done. All that's left is to find some hard scape materials and get some more plants.

I'm going to first set up the 55 with a mineralized dirt substrate. This is going to be my first attempt at a dirted planted tank and I'm pretty excited about it. I hope to get it up and running by the end of next month.

So thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to chatting with y'all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings all   Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Welcome to CVAS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Greetings all   Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:22 pm

Welcome @Girtlovesdirt! Your 180 sounds great and I'm excited for your 55 mineralized dirt tank to be. ThumbsUp Sounds like the kind of thing we'd all like to hear more about as you get it underway! I'm looking forward to having you as a member here and hearing more about your set-ups.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings all   Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:09 pm

@Girtlovesdirt
Welcome to this forum and CVAS. I live very near Bon Air. There are some very friendly and knowledgeable people here. I'm certain you will enjoy the time you spend here...Hello

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings all   Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Welcome Garrett, 

"Educated Newbie" - I think that describes all of us... you never stop learning in this hobby....

When you say schools of rummies and cardinals how many are there in the schools? I would LOVE to have a 6' tank with maybe 30-40 Rummies swimming in a school...

Good to see your enthusiasm - keep us posted! 

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings all   Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Welcome Garrett,

Planted Tank -- dirted tank -- much information on the web about this topic.  The JRAS club in Richmond will be having a speaker who is a  planted aquarium expert, Diana Walstad, at an upcoming meeting.  If you can attend.  Diana Walstad, author of the book 'ECOLOGY of the PLANTED AQUARIUM - A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist'.

Walstad Method or planted tank

You picked a great forum to join as this one has so much experience and good information.

Steve R

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Greetings all   Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:50 pm

Welcome aboard. Keep us updated on your 55 gallon dirt tank.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Greetings all   Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:17 pm

Welcome, and I'm excited about your exploration of a dirt tank! There are plenty of resources available for this and I'm sure you'll find success.

I'm also excited to find another huge tank lover - the 180 is a great size! We need pics, of course.

Very Happy

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings all   

Back to top Go down

Greetings all

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-