Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

More on Eggs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: More on Eggs   Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:47 pm

The paired angels have laid their 3rd clutch of eggs. This time instead of the pipes of the filter, they chose the surface of a java fern leaf. Typcially the consumption of eggs occurs overnight, so this time, before I turned the light off at 10pm, I moved the leaf into a protective enclosure inside the tank.

At 12 hours, I had 6 eggs turn white (didnt know what that meant)
24 hours, 10 eggs turned white (I read this is due to lack of fertilization)
36 hours, about 60-80 eggs turned white.
48 hours, all but about 10-12 eggs were white.

Can someone provide insight? What does this mean? Why so many hours between the first few and now almost the full clutch.

Thanks!

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: More on Eggs   Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Among the few eggs that are not white, can you tell if they have embryos developing? (a magnifying glass will be helpful). If no development is occurring, then:

1) your "pair" is two females
2) they are a M/F pair, but one or both are infertile
3) one or both parents are not getting sufficient nutrition to produce healthy eggs & sperm

If some eggs are developing, then:

4) some eggs are not getting fertilized
5) some eggs do not have sufficient nutritional content to develop
6) fungus is spreading from infertile or weak eggs to healthy eggs
7) insufficient current in the enclosure to keep the eggs oxygenated

This is just a short list of possibilities that can go wrong ... others can add to it I'm sure.
Hope you can figure it out, or that the problem resolves if you cant figure it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lkelly
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: More on Eggs   Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:48 pm

One other possibility is that you have chickens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: More on Eggs   Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks for the insight Gerald,

Definitely a male and female, and the eggs should be getting plenty of O2.

Sufficient nutrition....could be potential issue. Fungus spread very likely.

could be that trying to rear eggs with my current setup is an exercise in futility, but thanks for the help.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: More on Eggs   Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:11 pm

The best circumstance would be to have the parents in the enclosure with the eggs (maybe they are, and I missed that?), so they can fan them, which helps control the fungus. They'll remove the fungused eggs as they occur, and keep it at bay. Otherwise, a proper egg tumbler would be the thing, as this mimics the action of the parents fanning behavior.

If the parents are with the eggs, they just need practice, but ideally their own tank. Often the pressure of a community tank is too much for the pair to be able to successfully hatch out eggs, but I have had it happen with angels. They will tend to panic easily, however, and frantically eat eggs or hatched wigglers/fry when they feel the pressure of the other fish getting too close. I have had all of these situations occur.

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: More on Eggs   Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:22 pm

@ddavis1979 wrote:
The paired angels have laid their 3rd clutch of eggs.  This time instead of the pipes of the filter, they chose the surface of a java fern leaf.  Typcially the consumption of eggs occurs overnight, so this time, before I turned the light off at 10pm, I moved the leaf into a protective enclosure inside the tank.  

At 12 hours, I had 6 eggs turn white (didnt know what that meant)
24 hours, 10 eggs turned white (I read this is due to lack of fertilization)
36 hours, about 60-80 eggs turned white.
48 hours, all but about 10-12 eggs were white.

Can someone provide insight?  What does this mean?  Why so many hours between the first few and now almost the full clutch.  

Thanks!

Hatching Angelfish eggs away from the parents can be hit or miss. Several things help to have a successful hatch. First, one has to be lucky enough to have a well conditioned fertile pair. It's important to replace the fanning that the parents provide with an air flow inside the hatching container to keep the water moving and provide as oxygen rich environment as possible. An air stone inside the hatching container works well. Adding a fungicide is recommended to retard the growth of fungus. IMO, getting the eggs to develop into wigglers is the hardest part.

An easier option is to provide a safe environment for the parents and allow them to do the work of nurturing the eggs until they become wigglers. The wigglers can then be harvested and raised away from the parents. The ultimate Angelfish breeding experience is to allow the parents to completely raise a spawn without intervention. Unfortunately, that can be a rare occurrence. It is highly likely that you will have more opportunities to successfully raise a spawn. Be sure to enjoy the journey...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Angelfish Show Tank
(Angelfish, Guppies, Neons and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Growout Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Growout Tank
10 gal. Planted Bristled Nose Plecos and Guppy Show Tank
(Guppies, Bristled Nose Plecos and kuhli Loaches)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More on Eggs   

Back to top Go down

More on Eggs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-