Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Great homeopathic medicine information

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Great homeopathic medicine information   Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:23 pm

I stumbled across this website and thought I would share with each of you. http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication4.html I had heard some myths about some well known medicines and preventatives and wanted to see if there was fact or fiction to be found. The author appears to be very knowledgeable and has some very imformative information that you may find useful.  study
Enjoy,
Ron

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Great homeopathic medicine information   Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Thanks for posting Ron ... i've wondered about Pimafix and Melafix effectiveness. But I do wonder how Mr. Stohmeyer distinguishes a "mild bacteria" from a "serious" one before the fish is too far gone to save.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Great homeopathic medicine information   Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:26 pm

@Ron Thanks for this post. The products mentioned in the article, Pimafix and Melafix are my first line of defense. In fact they are the only meds I have used in years. I recently purchased Prazipro on the recommendation of a friend but have not used it yet...study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Great homeopathic medicine information   Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:17 am

JohnnyAMH wrote:
@Ron Thanks for this post. The products mentioned in the article, Pimafix and Melafix are my first line of defense. In fact they are the only meds I have used in years. I recently purchased Prazipro on the recommendation of a friend but have not used it yet...study
Johnny I too keep Melafix and Pimafix as my go to medicine as soon as I see possible issues, and have had great success with them.
I have just recently used Prazipro. I had a situation where I purchased 3 Discus and put them in with some Angels. 2 of the Discus became ill and I tried just about everything to cure but they died. The 3rd I put in another tank and he showed signs of improving. I later read that Angels are very prone to having tapeworm. They are known to live with them sometimes without ill effects, however, tapeworm is very easily spred to the other tank inhabitants. Discus do not tolerate tapeworm nor other internal parasites and can die off easily. The 2 Discus that died did demostrate symptoms of tapeworm, and the 3rd seemed to also begin having these symptoms. I used PraziPro and the Discus recovered very quickly and made me a believer in that product also. I since have purchased from Discus Hans some more Discus. He shared with me some advice about Angels and Discus as tank mates. He does not recommend, however, he states that many folks do. He further states that if you are going to house them together to treat with Praziquantel as Angels are known for having and spreading tapeworm. I since have treated all my tanks as precaution and had no ill effects and found after 2 or 3 days all my fish with healthier appetites, and displaying brighter colors along with now growing which tapeworm prevents.
By the way I had also purchased 36 Cardinals to go with my Discus and I used PraziPro after introducing to the tank. Cardinals in my previous experience seem to have a high death rate after I bring home. I have had them 2 months and only lost 3. I believe the PraziPro helped with that too. Coincidence maybe but  it worked at any rate.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Great homeopathic medicine information   Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:03 am

@Ron Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your experiences with Prazipro. I'm sure it will help a bunch of hobbyist. There are so many medications that are harmful to beneficial bacteria. I try to avoid using them as much as possible. In fact, I don't remember the last time I used anything other than Melafix and Pimafix in my tanks.

I do use Methylene Blue for hatching eggs. My bottle has to be at least 20 years old because I only use a few drops a year. I started to replace it but a shop owner told me it never goes bad. So far it has not been a problem.

I especially appreciate your comment about Angelfish, Tape worms and Prazipro. I still haven't used the Prazipro yet but after reading your post, I think I'm going to give it a try... study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Great homeopathic medicine information   Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:59 am

This is a great article, Ron. 

I particularly like the analogy to Bactine, lol, i.e., if you'd use Bactine on a human injury, then Melafix/Pimafix is a viable treatment for a similar ailment in a fish. If you'd use something stronger on yourself than Bactine, then stronger drugs will be required for a fish with a similar ailment. Love it! 

I've used these mild preparations for many years, and always keep them on hand. I also know that Ich-Attack CAN cure ich, and I was dubious about it for sure. 

I have not had much experience with parasites like you'd find with discus, but I have kept wild caught fish, and I was told they were treated with Prazipro as a precaution, just because of their WC status. So far, *knock wood,* I have yet to lose a WC fish from what I determined to be a parasite, but I could have missed the cause.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great homeopathic medicine information   

Back to top Go down

Great homeopathic medicine information

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-