Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Assassin Snails

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Assassin Snails    Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:28 pm

My question is sparked by the thread, Opinions about Snails. I thought DLW posted an excellent comment. In it, Assassin Snails were mentioned... Cool
@DLW wrote:
Snails are great for the aquarium if you don't mind the look. They take care of a lot of over feeding and plant issues but they can be unsightly. I have tanks with snail and without. I also raise and sell assassin snails so when a tank gets over populated with ponds or MTS I add a few assassins and the problem is solved. I also use loaches and African cichlids to control pond snails. Like with fish, it comes down to personal preference, snails do add to the ecosystem and have a useful function but can easily get out of control, not to mention the eggs all over everything. So it all comes down to if you don't mind the look don't worry about the snails. If you do get over run, there are several non-chemical ways to rid your tank of them.

I have Malaysian Trumpet Snails in a planted tank. I have had them become overpopulated in the past. I used Clown Loaches years ago to control the population and it took some time but eventually worked out well. I thought that I had eradicated all but a few of them but lately, I have started to see more again. I am considering using Assassin Snails to prevent another overpopulation event. My question is, can the Assassin Snails become overpopulated and cause another problem?
If so, how do I control the number of Assassin Snails? study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Assassin Snails    Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:30 pm

Assassin snails generally only breed a lot if they are eating snails. They can survive if they are just scavenging scraps, but generally they won't breed a ton in that situation. I have had significant increase in assassin snails, but never infestations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Assassin Snails    Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:15 pm

Do you have to keep the tank lid extra tight? Do they escape often? (Snails in General)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
verbal
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Assassin Snails    Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:36 pm

@Fward wrote:
Do you have to keep the tank lid extra tight? Do they escape often? (Snails in General)

Apple snails tend to be the worst escapees, which isn't terribly surprising since they leave the water to lay eggs. I have had a nerite escape once or twice. Assassins tend to stay in the tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DLW
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Assassin Snails    Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:13 am

I have never had an assassin snail "leave the tank". I have them in covered and uncovered tanks. Because Assassin snails need mates to breed and only lay 1 egg at a time, over population in not an issue. I do have 2 tanks where I have several hundred Assassins but the other tanks the population levels off once the pest snails are cleaned up. And assassins are fairly easy to get rid of, there is usually someone who needs them. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assassin Snails    

Back to top Go down

Assassin Snails

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-