Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Questions about Cryptocoryne Balansae

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Questions about Cryptocoryne Balansae   Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:37 pm

I have been trying for awhile to decide upon a good easy to grow background plant for my 150. I think I have decided to try Cryptocoryne Balansae as Liz suggested. I have been reading about them and read that they can grow up to 2 feet. My question is if necessary are they able to be cut back if growing to tall similar to Val, and etc?
As I want these to grow pretty much across the whole back, how close should I plant to each other?
Ron

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Cryptocoryne Balansae   Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Ron, per Liz's suggestion to me, I also purchased some Cryptocoryne Balansae and I have several plants in the tank now and like them.  

One I purchased at the Aquascapes in C'ville has taken off-- it has the strongest roots and has many new leaves that are to the top of my 25" high tank.  About 4 other plants are about half that high now.  Very slow growing.  

Cryptocoryne Spiralis I got from you would be another good choice.  I have a couple of your plants that are about 8" tall now (David got a lot of yours but kindly gave me a couple to take home. )  At the JRAS auction I purchased another big group that are doing great and are about 14" tall.

I think you could plant them every 2 " across the back of your tank.  I am not sure how they spread but when I get time I will post a picture.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Cryptocoryne Balansae   Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:04 pm

@scruiz
Thanks Steve, I do have some Crypt Spiralis now that I am using as mid ground. Mine are about 12" and seem to be doing pretty well. Do you think Crypt Balansae would compliment well or just blend in with the Spiralis? I know the Spiralis will not get as tall, and Balansae like Spiralis is slow growing, but I really need the height. I'm using an all black background and my Blue Diamond Discus don't show to well especially with black substrate. The tall plants across the back will really pop against the dark background while causing the discus to show more color contrasting with the plants. I don't want real thick stem plants as I don't want fish hiding too much, so I am torn between Balansae, Corkscrew Val., or Giant Hairgrass. The last 2 can take over a tank if I let it and would require more pruning and thinning but easy to grow and fast.

scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Cryptocoryne Balansae   Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:48 am

Ron that is an excellent plan to have Balansae in the back of the tank.

This first picture the Crypt had very good root system and it has done the best since I planted them all. But the others are starting to grow better now.

http://i68.servimg.com/u/f68/18/78/76/99/img_4810.jpg

http://i68.servimg.com/u/f68/18/78/76/99/img_4812.jpg

http://i68.servimg.com/u/f68/18/78/76/99/img_4813.jpg

This picture is the back side of the tank.

This tank is 24 wide x 18 deep and 25 high for your reference.

My plants are starting to grow more now, they have been in the tank a few months.

Best of luck!

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Cryptocoryne Balansae   Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks Steve. I found a pretty goood source for what appear to be som mature plants on Ebay. I think I may give them a try. Any suggestions on proper lighting, plant spacing, substrate, ferts and etc?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about Cryptocoryne Balansae   

Back to top Go down

Questions about Cryptocoryne Balansae

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Discuss Plants-