Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Fish Disease Identification & Treatment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bighildy53
CVASMember

PostSubject: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:19 pm

I would like assistance identifying a fish disease that has already taken one of my rainbow "sharks". I didn't realize there was a problem until I saw the fish on the bottom of the tank. All color washed out with two sores or wounds one the back half of the fish. Now a rainbow fish is showing the same sores in similar positions. The fish doesn't show any labored breathing or slower movements. It's not scratching on anything. I was able to get a video of the rainbow. My research so far makes me think it's a fungus or bacterial issue.

Vimeo video: Video of affected rainbow

Please help.

2 Boesemani Rainbow
2 Pair Albino Rainbow
2 Red Rainbow
3 Peacox Rainbow
4 Rainbow "Sharks"
1 Redtail Leopard Pleco
2 Common Plecos
1 Fluval FX6 Canister Filter
1 Trigger Systems Emerald 34 Sump
Combination of Fluval and Seachem Media
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:25 am

you might try the web page below. It's helped me out a few times.

http://nationalfishpharm.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:11 am

Hi, John, and welcome to the forum. Your tank is lovely, and I am sorry to see the trouble with the fish. The video is very helpful!

I may not handle things the same way as others, but ultimately whenever I see this type of thing in my fish I know I've got a few things likely responsible:

- water quality/maintenance
- injury (fish got stuck somewhere, got itself out, wound from another fish, etc.)
- aged fish with reduced immune system/slime coat

I always handle it the same way, however, and that's to do a big water change and be sure my maintenance is up to par in terms of my filter being adequate to the tank and media maintained on an adequate schedule. I'd also remove the fish in question to a hospital tank of some sort to eliminate any type of spreading disease, if that is what's going on. That will take care of the second two issues listed above.

Your tank is quite well stocked, also, just going by your list, and I would consider rehoming the two common plecos, at least. They produce a great deal of waste that might be tough to keep up with, combined with the other fish. 

I know you haven't told us a whole lot about your setup, but I'd just from the little I know so far, I'll bet reducing your stock in this tank will help a great deal, and prevent some issues down the road. 

Please keep us posted!

View user profile
Fward
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:48 am

Almost looks like Heater burn?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:31 pm

I'd guess it's a bacterial infection, maybe Flexibacter or Mycobacterium. Flexi spreads quickly and usually kills within a few days or a week. Myco is usually a slow-growing disease; sores develop over weeks or months. Of course fast-growing pathogens (bacteria, fungi, protozoa) can certainly attack an open wound created by a slower-growing pathogen, or by mechanical injury, so they might have multiple issues. Here's a good article on Myco, which many fish can carry for years without symptoms, and is especially troublesome on rainbowfish: http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388mycoarticle1.pdf
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:52 pm

@bighildy53 I take a approach similar to Liz. My first inclination would be to check my water quality first. That is mostly out of concern for the rest of the tanks inhabitants. I'm not very good at diagnosing fish disease and only guess at the very obvious. Normally, I don't maintain a hospital tank for treating sick fish. That means I would have to treat the whole tank. I'm not confident enough about my diagnosing skills to dose a whole tank to treat one or two fish. It's too easy to disrupt an established tank. Usually, I remove and discard sick fish to preserve the health of the rest.

Others here maybe much more knowledgeable than I and are able to provide the answer to you questions. I looked at the links others provided and they contain some interesting information. Sorry I could not be more helpful...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bighildy53
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:17 pm

Thank you for all the information. I moved the fish in question to a hospital tank. We'll see what happens. I've also done a major water change. However, I keep up with water changes and filter maintenance weekly. I use RO/DI water with Geenleaf Aquarium and Seachem products to replace the minerals.

I'm continuing to treat the main tank with API Melafix. However, I haven't seen any other fish with marks.

I recognize that I've overstocked. I've also over filtered and keep up with water testing and changes to compensate.

2 Boesemani Rainbow
2 Pair Albino Rainbow
2 Red Rainbow
3 Peacox Rainbow
4 Rainbow "Sharks"
1 Redtail Leopard Pleco
2 Common Plecos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:26 pm

bighildy53 wrote:
Thank you for all the information.  I moved the fish in question to a hospital tank.  We'll see what happens.  I've also done a major water change.  However, I keep up with water changes and filter maintenance weekly.  I use RO/DI water with Geenleaf Aquarium and Seachem products to replace the minerals.  

I'm continuing to treat the main tank with API Melafix.  However, I haven't seen any other fish with marks.

I recognize that I've overstocked.  I've also over filtered and keep up with water testing and changes to compensate.

I think you have taken the appropriate actions. The fact that you don't see other fish with the same marks is encouraging. You do have a very nice collection of fish and I agree with you that the tank does seem heavily stocked. I noticed that you mentioned what you do to maintain you tank water but you didn't mention your tank water parameters... study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bighildy53
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:19 pm

My last test on 01/01/2016 (before water change):
GH: 7
KH: 7
PH: 6.9
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: between 20-40 depending on the test (API is 40, Seachem is 20).

Last two water changes:
Aquarium Date Amount Percent Water Type
75Tropical 12/26/2015 38 51% RO/DI
75Tropical 1/1/2016 28 37% RO/DI

2 Boesemani Rainbow
2 Pair Albino Rainbow
2 Red Rainbow
3 Peacox Rainbow
4 Rainbow "Sharks"
1 Redtail Leopard Pleco
2 Common Plecos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:48 pm

@bighildy53 Thanks for supplying your water parameters. None of them seem really unusual. I prefer API Nitrate test kits myself. When I see 40ppm Nitrate in any of my tanks water it usually triggers a water change from me, but 40ppm not extremely high. I noticed that you are very precise about the amount of water you exchange. I'm just curious, what is your source for RO/DI water?

As for the fish you put in the hospital tank, how's it doing? Any improvement and what did you decide to use to treat it?  study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fish Disease Identification & Treatment   

Back to top Go down

Fish Disease Identification & Treatment

View previous topic View next topic Back to top