Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

How to move your aquariums to a new house?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:38 am

Hey guys. I wanted to get this ball rolling since my wife and I are talking about moving. What is a good way to move your aquariums to a new house. How should the fish be transported and such. the house we are looking at is only about 1.5 miles from my current home. So its not a long drive. I was also talking to my wife about upgrading my 40g breeder to a 65g that has the same foot print so I can use my existing stand and hood.  The other thing is the new place is on a well and I'm on county water now. I have 2 tanks to move. my 20g and my 40g. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:45 pm

I have done this a number of times. I generally bag the fish, and then put the bags in coolers so the temperature of the bag water is maintained as much as possible. I also do the tank moving all at once, and as a somewhat separate procedure from the general house moving, if possible, so that the focus can be on getting the tanks taken down and then set up in the new house all at the same time, as one fluid activity.

I use 5-gal buckets to haul gravel/substrate and decor/plants. 

It helps if you are upgrading one of the tanks, because you can have the new tank in place at the new house, maybe even already cycling, or cycled, so it will just be a matter of moving fish and decor. 

Test the water in your new place and see how different it is. Test for pH (after it sits overnight), KH and GH. I'd bring along water from the old place and mix the two to acclimate the fish, or, depending on how long it takes to close on the new house, you can bring water from the new place home and start mixing it prior to the move. It will be nice not to have to worry about removing chlorine!

Good luck, and I'm sure it will go smoothly. Most fish handle this process pretty well.

View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Thanks Liz. if we are able to get the new place. we are going to try to do a lease to own while i get my place onto the market. So that may help with getting the tanks moved easier. The main issue is the stand being needed in 2 places. I don't think i can get my place ready to put onto the market with my family of 6 (kids ages 2,4,6,and 9) and 2 large dogs living in it along with my 2 tanks. I have been trying too. I will get one room ready to go and walk out to work on the next room and the kids will destroy that room on 30 seconds. my youngest seems to be hell on 2 feet. I think I finally through out all the crayons and magic markers in the house this weekend. I also need to buy stock in magic erasers and baby wipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:12 pm

I feel your pain! Last time we moved I had 3 year old twins, a 9-year-old, and two dogs, one a 165-pound bullmastiff, and I worked at home, so there was just no way to try to show the house with all of us there. 

We wound up having to vacate the premises completely in order to paint all the rooms and replace carpeting, etc., to make the place presentable to sell it, lol. It was a nail-biter, but it was the only way to go at the time. I don't know what I'd do now. My tanks are so flippin huge...

You'll get through it! Sometimes I'd rather trade 15-year-old girls for 2-year-olds again. I can handle crayons and tantrums WAY easier than the hormones, driving cars, and other fun and games.....   Shocked   They grow up too fast.

View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:19 pm

I'm kinda dreading the teenage years already. that is one of the reason we are looking to move. I know the girls will kill each other if they stay in the same room and we need more space for people to be able to have a quiet space to read or think for a few minutes. right now everyone is on top of everyone. That wont get any better as the kids get older.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:37 pm

Careful not to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Your expectations can drive the results. My daughter made it through the teen years will relatively little family strife, and my son is 13 (just surpassed me in height). It's really quite wonderful watching kids develop awareness and ideas about a wider range of interests, and they can help out and be your friends in many more ways than ever before.

Back to moving tanks, last time I moved (25 yrs ago) I left a couple inches of water in the tanks and laid wet newspaper or plastic over the plants so I didn't have to uproot them. Small fish stayed in the tanks too. Larger ones went in coolers.

@cholt wrote:
I'm kinda dreading the teenage years already. that is one of the reason we are looking to move. I know the girls will kill each other if they stay in the same room and we need more space for people to be able to have a quiet space to read or think for a few minutes. right now everyone is on top of everyone. That wont get any better as the kids get older.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:22 am

@gerald wrote:
Careful not to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.  

Truer words were never spoken, and I complain a lot but have had almost no trouble at all with my girls. I got through relatively unscathed with my 22-year-old, and the twins got through middle school with nary a scratch.

Our philosophy is to pay attention to what they're doing (especially those secretive teens) and not ignore them while doing water changes, lol. The fact that the twins were willing to spend an entire day with me running items at the last club auction means there must be hope! I don't think I saw hardly any eye rolls, either! tongue I do truly miss my babies, that's for sure.

Also, GREAT tip about leaving the substrate and plants in place and just moving the tank with an inch or two of water. That will save so much mess, and likely not start a mini cycle when you set it up again, too. If you're concerned about lifting a tank with anything in it, slide it onto a board and carry it that way.

View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:30 am

thanks for the tips about the tank moves as well as with the kiddos.. Don't get me wrong my kids are great kids. I just see the kids needing their own space to retreat too sometimes. Right now they really don't have that ability in our current home. I wish we could stay in the house we are in. 2 of my children were born in the house.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:29 am

But I thought crowding was supposed to reduce aggression? Ooops sorry ... that's cichlids, not siblings ... I get them mixed up sometimes. My two kids were also born our 1500 sq.ft house, as was the lady we bought the house from!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:34 am

Wow, you guys, rockin' the home births! That's pretty cool. It would make moving a little more poignant, but I can understand the need for a bit of space. When my oldest moved out I was able to create a spare bedroom retreat for myself, with a comfy chair beside a big window, and it is so nice to be able to have a place of my own to decompress - of course, the sound of trickling water is present throughout the house and never hurts!

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:07 pm

@gerald wrote:
...Back to moving tanks, last time I moved (25 yrs ago) I left a couple inches of water in the tanks and laid wet newspaper or plastic over the plants so I didn't have to uproot them.  Small fish stayed in the tanks too.  Larger ones went in coolers.

@gerald, could you elaborate on this please? What size tanks were they and how did they get moved? For example did a couple of guys carry them out to a flat bed truck?

I'm preparing for a move to a new house, too. It will be in April. Like Chris, my move will be only miles from where I am now.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:11 pm

My 70 gal I emptied completely (old 70's era tank with thick heavy glass) but all the rest 40 gal and smaller I moved with a couple inches of water (with help from several Raleigh Aqu Soc friends). Used my Volvo sta wagon and friend's pickup with boards under the tanks. Just be careful to support all corners while carrying and travelling. That was from Durham to Wake Forest, about 25 miles. Temp in mid-70s, so didnt have to worry about that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:22 pm

@gerald wrote:
My 70 gal I emptied completely (old 70's era tank with thick heavy glass) but all the rest 40 gal and smaller I moved with a couple inches of water (with help from several Raleigh Aqu Soc friends).  Used my Volvo sta wagon and friend's pickup with boards under the tanks.  Just be careful to support all corners while carrying and travelling.  That was from Durham to Wake Forest, about 25 miles.  Temp in mid-70s, so didnt have to worry about that.
Thanks, Very Happy sounds like a job for about four people.  We once moved a 75 gallon with the water level dropped to about four inches and it took four guys to move the tank six feet.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:18 pm

An extra pizza and 6-pack is way cheaper and more pleasant than back surgery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:50 pm

I don't have a lot of experience moving tanks but I have done it a couple of times. Each time I had plenty of time to prepare and I had more than one tank running. My largest tank is only 55 gallons so none were difficult to transport. I prepared by reducing stock to "keepers only," in one tank. They were in there for a couple of days.

Being cautious by nature, I always emptied my tanks of all water and larger rocks. I was paranoid about causing a leak. I transported the tank to it's new location and placed it on  a new stand that better fit the planned decor of the new house. I hooked everything up and let it run while I did some of the many other things that needed to be done. A couple of days later I checked the water quality and found it fine.

We were still living in the old house so the next day I netted the fish and put them in a couple of buckets. I transported the buckets with a small towel over the tops to control splashing. I acclimated the fish slowly and released them. The next day we moved and joined the fish...Laughing

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:53 am

Update. the people declined our house offer and we decide to stay were we are for now. this just means i will need to do some home improvement stuff at our existing place. building new cabinets, new cabinet doors for existing cabinets, built in entertainment center, new counter tops (more than likely tile).

I may still upgrade my 40g to a 65g at some point since they have the same footprint. just need to convince the "Boss"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:45 pm

With your wood working skills those things should not be a problem... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to move your aquariums to a new house?    

Back to top Go down

How to move your aquariums to a new house?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-