Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:42 pm

I'm looking for a source to get endler's live bearers that aren't being sold as feeders. The last feeders I bought had some sort of disease that wasn't Ich and it wouldn't go away either. I ended up sterilizing the tank with bleach before purchasing platys. Right now I have 9 platys that are supposed to be 3 males 6 females, but I'm not sure I don't have 6 males and 3 females because I don't have any pregnant females.

I'm trying to find good Endler's that won't have incurable diseases to house a breeding population in my bedroom to feed my angels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:28 pm

Have you considered Guppies. Even the fancy varieties produce lots of offspring once you get a colony going.  Guppies are one of the most kept live bearers in the hobby. There are many varieties from which to choose. Some resemble Enders. The thing I like most about Guppies is that maintaining a colony opens the door to selective breeding. You can choose the traits you like and your Angels will love taking advantage of all the culls...Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:52 am

I've considered guppies, I really would like to stick with Platys since that's what I've got money in currently, but it looks like I have a bunch of males or something. The 3 newest additions looked female in the store but now they look more male, don't know what's going on there. Also,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilpieceofnature
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:10 am

I wouldn't feed live bearers to fishn you take the chance of losingb them both there's other methods like crickets blood worms even store bought salmon or grouper. Ive had my oscars for three years an I have never feed them live fish an yhey have been doing fine with out it . Me personally I dont see the benefits in it cause a stress fish gives off stress an in tern your fish will become stressed an die. Its like see in your death an cant do anything about it . Better yet have you ever eaten a piece of tuff deer meatthats has this gamie taste. Its stressed meat animal suffered an its tainted. Same goes for fish. Just my opinion im sure there some die hard fish feeder pros out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mrcstanks.com
enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:12 am

I'm trying to establish a breeding colony to have a ready supply of healthy feeders. Feeders are usually produced en masse and stressed by the nature of their rearing and raising. They are also prone to disease and parasites, which I want to reduce by raising my own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilpieceofnature
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:46 pm

Yeah understandable I have four colonies i started two years ago an I can help you if you need be. First find you ll need to get six females an one male from a trusted guppy dealer I would suggest petco Midlothian va.they have the beat for what ive seen . One you get them purchase jungles life gaurd anfollow the steps let themmbreed an an youll have you some feeders in a month fisease free. Garlic works also just a pinch of pure garlic from the season isle. They thrive in a walstad tank also
Back to top Go down
lilpieceofnature
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:14 pm

[url=][/url]http://i68.servimg.com/u/f68/19/23/79/90/14542911.jpg these are my two females from the start an theyve been in the same tank for a year.I just bought a blue male to mix the colors aming for a purple guppy by the summer . Its the wifees favorite color lol I got the gold guppies from neo geo two years ago an ive been breeding them since.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:14 pm

@enrgizerbunny wrote:
I've considered guppies, I really would like to stick with Platys since that's what I've got money in currently, but it looks like I have a bunch of males or something. The 3 newest additions looked female in the store but now they look more male, don't know what's going on there. Also,
@enrgizerbunny
Platys are cool but in my opinion Guppies are a bit more prolific. Also with Guppies you will not have a problem sexing them. The males are much more obvious.

BTW: I once tried to build a colony of Guppies for feeding from a group of feeder Guppies from a LPS. I had nothing but problems. Once I got a colony of Fancy Guppies going, I have been working them every since then. That was about twenty years ago. That Guppy colony has fed a lot of Angelfish... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilpieceofnature
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:11 am

Yeah I took that path with a lfs near me didn't know much as I know now I check every tank for upsides down swimmers like my daughter says lol to many I dont shop. My guru irialigion thought me alot at where to go the times to go an its been working out for me . Your going to have to quarintine longer but if you go out an source some guppies good luck .. I sell mines to a traveling carnival doing the summer. Darn ring toss an ball in a bowl
Back to top Go down
enrgizerbunny
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:18 am

Sounds like I need to get some guppies. My wife is going to be just thrilled...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilpieceofnature
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Keeps my wife happy she said the guppy males have some great characteristics an they are great parent's. I like tge fact youbcan mix colors an get awesome fancy males yep yellow an blues make green lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)   

Back to top Go down

Disease free Endler's livebearers (dwarf guppy, dwarf livebearer)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Marketplace :: Looking to Buy-