Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Bristlenose Pleco Fins

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Bristlenose Pleco Fins   Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:43 pm

My question is regarding the fins of Bristlenose Pleco. More specify, how to distinguish Longfin from the Standard fin Bristlenose Pleco other than the length of the fins. I get it that Longfin Bristlenose have longer fins than Standard Bristlenose. That’s not my question.

My question concerns the rays in the fins of Bristlenose. Angelfish with Veil tails have multiple extensions at the end of each ray. Standard fin Angelfish does not have multiple extensions. Can Longfin Bristlenose be distinguished from Standard fin Bristlenose in the same manner?

While I’m asking, is there such a thing as a Super Longfin Bristlenose Pleco? Again, I am relating back to what I know about Angelfish fins and genetics. Angelfish can be either Standard fin, Veil or Super Veil. Is the same thing true with Bristlenose? I have researched and have not found the answer. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance... study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Pleco Fins   Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:40 am

Hmm, I'm not surprised that no one has posted yet... Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Pleco Fins   Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm still researching my question. It has turned out to be too tough a question... Sad
I may have to find a Bristlenose Pleco forum...study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Pleco Fins   Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:11 am

It's not that, Johnny.  It's just that I don't believe data is being kept on this kind of thing. Among devoted catfish fanatics, manipulating particular fish to get different fin shapes is frowned on and not found to be particularly interesting. If you do any reading on Planet Catfish, Scotcat, and so forth you will soon see this is the case.  The truth is, catfish nuts do not care about changing the shapes of their fish and prefer the wild forms.  In terms of catfish, every time I see an unnatural long-finned anything, I cringe.  

That said, it will be important for your research to make sure you are gathering facts from reputable sources.  Just as in the angelfish hobby, there are respected and trusted names in the catfish hobby.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Pleco Fins   Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:35 pm

It's true that there is a large knowledge base when it comes to Angelfish. I was hoping that some knowledgeable catfish owners might have some insight. After all, Longfin Bristlenose Plecos are fairly common. I guess you are right. I may be asking in the wrong place. Thanks for your reply... Sad

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Pleco Fins   Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:02 am

I haven’t found a definitive answer to my questions yet. I have learned that Longfin is a dominate gene in Bristlenose Plecos. It looks like many of the Bristlenose Plecos in the ornamental fish trade actually may have at least one Longfin gene. It’s not as rare as I once thought. It just takes a while to develop in mature fish.

Also it looks like Bristlenose Plecos are somewhat like the equivalent of Angelfish and Guppies but in the Catfish world. There are a few color variations that have been developed too. I respect those conservative Catfish keepers who wish to maintain the integrity of the species. They are a pretty exclusive bunch.

I am an ornamental fish enthusiast. I don’t condone releasing ornamental into conservation areas and the wild. In fact, I believe that there are so many ornamental fish available in the ornamental fish trade that only advanced scientist need to take fish from the wild. I also recognize that we would not have so many beautiful ornamental fish from which to choose if it were not for new genes introduced from wild fish. That being said, I love keeping ornamental fish... Smile

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Pleco Fins   

Back to top Go down

Bristlenose Pleco Fins

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Catfish of the World :: South and Central American Catfish-