Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Aquascaping Feedback Request

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bighildy53
CVASMember

PostSubject: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:04 pm

This is my 75 gallon freshwater planted tank.  I'm looking for feedback on the layout, anything.  All feedback is welcome.  I'm happy with it but wonder if it could be a bit better.

Plants:
1. Foreground-Left-Bacopa caroliniana.  I know this is technically more suited for a background plant, But I trim it back regularly and use as a foreground.
2. Foreground-Right-Dwarf Baby Tears - recently planted.
3. Mid-Ground-Left-Limnophila hippuridoides  (AROMATICA) - Behind the Bacopa.
3. Mid-Ground-Right are various Anubis plants on driftwood.
4. Background-Left - Moneywart and Water Sprite.
5. Background-Right-Vals, still growing.
6. Background-Middle is a large Pink Sword

Video: https://vimeo.com/155324381

Picture:

2 Boesemani Rainbow
2 Pair Albino Rainbow
2 Red Rainbow
3 Peacox Rainbow
4 Rainbow "Sharks"
1 Redtail Leopard Pleco
2 Common Plecos
1 Fluval FX6 Canister Filter
1 Trigger Systems Emerald 34 Sump
Combination of Fluval and Seachem Media
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:44 pm

Wonderful aquarium! I think that all aquariums are a work in progress in the minds of their owners. You have done a outstanding job. I'm enjoying it, just looking at the pictures. I can only imagine your enjoyment... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:57 am

The only feedback I can provide is: get a 6' tank so you can expand this beauty..... and maybe you could blend in some "red's"?

You seem to have the proper set up established with the CO2, lighting and nutritional values that the plants need to grow to optimum levels.

Looks like you have a lot of water movement with two FX6's, a fan and what looks like a pretty stout air bubbler.

I think you've done an outstanding job and I really like your Aquarium.

I am curious how the Discus and Rainbows interact, what is the atmosphere like between the fish?

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:52 am

I love it and agree with @thegundog:
Quote :
The only feedback I can provide is: get a 6' tank so you can expand this beauty ...

It's beautiful!  I can't judge it like an AGA judge would *lol*; they evaluate planted tanks on the basis of longterm growth and evolving landscape.  That said, it looks great to me!  

What is the maintenance like?
Water changes? Many heavily planted tanks do not need frequent pwc's, but get them anyway so that added products can be refreshed.  
Do you add any products regularly?    

I have many aquarium plants and do well with them but I have never tried anything ambitious.  Your gorgeous tank is a beauty.  The video is even better, and I shared it on the CVAS facebook page.  Hope that is all right! Smile

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:12 am

I love it, and am thrilled to see a heavily planted tank. I don't even want to critique it, lol! 

It is well balanced in terms of zones, and you already know you've got to keep the Bacopa pruned to prevent it from creating too much heaviness in the front compared to the baby tears as we wait for that to fill in. The sword might overwhelm the space before too long, but so far so good. 

I think the bubbles may be working against your CO2 injection, as does the heavy filtration, but you need it with your fish load, likely. How big are the common plecs? I'm worried about your plantings getting torn up as they move around.

View user profile
bighildy53
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Thank you for the kind feedback. Now to answer some questions.
1. The rainbow and discuss fish get along fine. It's the discus fish that poke around at each other. But there are plenty of hiding spots for the discus. I've had to hunt for one of the albino pink eye discus fish because I hadn't seen it in a while. But he/she found a spot in the back left corner.
2. I admit that I over filter, but that's because I also overstock. I still do regular weekly water changes. With the FX6 it's real easy to do the water change. I connect three segments of 1'' hose with schedule 80 unions to connect one end to the filter and the other to the commode.
3. The maintenance isn't too bad. But it seams like each week I'm doing something.
4. I will be removing the air stones. I didn't realize the negative effect on the CO2; I was focused too much on the oxygen. I'll re-arrange the FX6 output to ripple the water surface. I also have an overflow. So I was probably too worried about it.
5. I add Seachem Flourish and Excel weekly. I use GLA EI method to dose daily.
6. My biggest common pleco is probably 5 inches. I really don't see it often enough to remember the exact size. Every once in a while I catch it darting up to the surface and back down. I've also used a Go Pro to poke around and verify that it's still there.

As the dwarf baby tears establish I may let them creep into the Bacopa territory to replace them. But we'll see.

2 Boesemani Rainbow
2 Pair Albino Rainbow
2 Red Rainbow
3 Peacox Rainbow
4 Rainbow "Sharks"
1 Redtail Leopard Pleco
2 Common Plecos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:53 pm

You've gotta post some GoPro video! We love that!

I'm also interested in seeing how you do the water changes, if you would mind going to the trouble of either videoing that procedure or taking still pics of the process with the FX6. 

I've got an FX5 and I know I can drain the tank for PWCs that way, but have never refilled through the drain pipe, since I figured I'd be forcing filter debris back through the filter and into the tank again. Maybe that's not exactly what happens, but I'd love to hear some feedback from you on that.

View user profile
bighildy53
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:42 pm

Liz, I'll work on the video.

My comment about the FX6 was miss-understood. FX6 makes the draining of the tank easy. I still fill the tank back up the manual way.

2 Boesemani Rainbow
2 Pair Albino Rainbow
2 Red Rainbow
3 Peacox Rainbow
4 Rainbow "Sharks"
1 Redtail Leopard Pleco
2 Common Plecos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:56 pm

bighildy53 wrote:
Liz, I'll work on the video.  

My comment about the FX6 was miss-understood.  FX6 makes the draining of the tank easy.  I still fill the tank back up the manual way.

Ah! Ok - many people fill it through the drain pipe in the bottom when they're done draining, using a connector on the sink similar to a Python, so I was wondering about your take on that method. It seems counterintuitive to me! The main thing I love about that drain valve is the ability to empty the thing before you attempt to clean it.

Also, I need to borrow my nephew's GoPro, since it seems like a great way to examine parts of the tank that you can't normally see. Get a fish's perspective, lol.

I apologize for sending your aquascaping thread off on a tangent - you've got a gorgeous tank and obviously you're doing things right. Forgive me if you've already explained but what is your lighting and what is the schedule you use?

View user profile
bighildy53
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:01 pm

I have two AquaticLife Edge LED 36'' full spectrum light strips. They come on at 10:00am with a two hour sunrise setting. From 12:00 to 06:00pm it's full light. 06:00pm to 08:00pm it's sunset. From 08:00pm to 10:00pm it's moonlight.

2 Boesemani Rainbow
2 Pair Albino Rainbow
2 Red Rainbow
3 Peacox Rainbow
4 Rainbow "Sharks"
1 Redtail Leopard Pleco
2 Common Plecos
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:55 pm

I agree! I'm also looking forward to viewing the GoPro video from you. I'm still amazed when looking at the pictures of your tank... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aquascaping Feedback Request   

Back to top Go down

Aquascaping Feedback Request

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-