Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

A lesson remembered a lesson learned

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lilpieceofnature
CVASMember

PostSubject: A lesson remembered a lesson learned    Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:50 pm

A couple of years ago I purchased some amazon swords from a local dealer . I was a newbie to the planted tank theme. I was ok with banana plants an A castle.I visited a club members home from another forum an he had a 125 dated start 1985 walstad set up one inch of soil , clay, sand , an drift wood. He told me to stop sticking my hand in concentrating on a look I wanted the natural look algae carpet on rocks for fry to hide an its finally c omming. I must say it also keep my fish breeding more. So to the just getting started keep your hands out moving around fixtures just relax an less the fish show you the look they want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mrcstanks.com
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A lesson remembered a lesson learned    Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:42 pm

I agree with your friend. A sterile tank is a boring tank. IMHO, planted tanks are always a work in progress. I seldom move plants around, but when I'm lucky I have to do a tittle trimming and thinning...Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilpieceofnature
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A lesson remembered a lesson learned    Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Yeah he showed me that each tank is different some ones a plus show rank is one of a kind it cant be mimicked but it showed be a model for new ideas. I took that knowledge a ran with it ..
Back to top Go down
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A lesson remembered a lesson learned    Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:21 am

I have true appreciation for other hobbyist tanks. I find that many are more fascinating than those found in the fish stores...Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lilpieceofnature
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A lesson remembered a lesson learned    Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:38 am

Yeah ive seen some great ones with plants an ive seen one with the hot wheels cars in it . Ive even seen a coffee pot used for a bubbler. There some great tanks out there . I feel in love with the natural look which takes time for green algae to grow on rocks an drift wood .
Back to top Go down
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: A lesson remembered a lesson learned    Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 pm

@lilpieceofnature wrote:
... I visited a club members home from another forum an he had a 125 dated start 1985 walstad set up one inch of soil , clay, sand , an drift wood.

I think I know who this guy is.  If I recall correctly, he had a whole garage full of tanks of various kinds of set-ups.  

Speaking of Diana Walstad, she is supposed to give a talk to the local aquarium club sometime in the next few months.  When I get the full information, I'll post it.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: A lesson remembered a lesson learned    Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:00 am

@lilpieceofnature wrote:
Yeah ive seen some great ones with plants an ive seen one with the hot wheels cars in it . Ive even seen a coffee pot used for a bubbler. There some great tanks out there . I feel in love with the natural look which takes time for green algae to grow on rocks an drift wood .

Good point, all algae are not bad. I think mosses add a lot too... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A lesson remembered a lesson learned    

Back to top Go down

A lesson remembered a lesson learned

View previous topic View next topic Back to top