Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

cyanobacteria woes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: cyanobacteria woes   Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi all, been awhile since able to post. Been checking in from time to time though. I have two planted tanks that are experiencing what I thought was Blue Green Hair Algae, and trying to rid and treat as if it were Algae. Well after reading up on it and suggested treatments, found out Hair Algae not an Algae at all and is actually a bacteria called Cyanobacteria. When you treat for Algae you are actually helping to proliferate Cyano. I tried all the suggestions such as total blackouts, hydrogen peroxide, feeding less, reducing light, scraping and cleaning, and still comes back, sometimes even worse. My Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia are not out of range. Also found out that when you use erythromycin which will kill quickly the bacteria with little or no bad effects on fish, plants, and inverts, the Cyano will return and often with a vengeance as it feeds off the decaying cyano matter left behind. Have any of you had a successful tip that could help?

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:43 pm

Thanks Ron for the very interesting and informative post. I had to do some quick research on Cyanobacteria. I feel blessed that I have never had such a problem. Pleased keep us updated and share your cure... study

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:23 am

In my tanks cyanobacteria does not grow hair-like at all.  It forms a slimy dark green to reddish-blackish mat on surfaces, including on plants.  Fortunately it peels off easily.  Just keep peeling, skimming, and siphoning it out and eventually it stops coming back after the ecosystem gets some age your other plants are growing well.  In tanks without good plant growth it's very hard to keep cyano out.  Something has got to take advantage of all that fish waste, and if it's not plants it will be algae or cyano. I've been fighting it 40+ years. Didn't think anyone had "never" had a problem with it - Johnny must be truly blessed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:39 pm

@gerald I am blessed. I don't know why I have never had much of an algae problem. I use old school florescent lighting. Most days, I limit lighting to about 10 hours a day. I do make sure that the tank's location does not get direct sunlight. I try to keep my tanks water nitrate level low as possible. Which is never as low as I would like...shrug

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:20 pm

Thanks Gerald. I've only had problems once before with this stuff with only 1 tank when I was I still in Richmond. Erroneously I then also thought this booger was Algae. Now after starting 2 planted tanks here in Ohio it has raised it's ugly head in 2 tanks. I can't exactly say my plants are well established yet. And this bacteria is coming back so fast that it is preventing plant growth. I think I'm to the point now I'm going to try Ultralife Blue Green Slime Stain Remover by Ultralife. I see that this does not use antibiotics but designed to kill Cyano in freshwater tanks. They claim safe for fish, plants and Inverts. I know I will have to do a lot of vacuuming and re-occurrence maintenance afterwards but this stuff is wearing me down. Very close to emptying both tanks, and starting over.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:24 am

Hydrogen peroxide H2O2 works too: the standard 3% drugstore kind. Use 1 to 2 ml per gal, mixed into about a quart of water and then poured/swished throughout the tank so there's no high-concentration spots to oxidize fish gills. Do this each evening just after the lights go out. (Light destroys H2O2 quickly - that's why its sold in dark bottles). Vallisneria, hornwort, and some mosses are sensitive to it, so use 1 ml/gal if you have these or other delicate plants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:34 pm

@gerald wrote:
Hydrogen peroxide H2O2 works too: the standard 3% drugstore kind.  Use 1 to 2 ml per gal, mixed into about a quart of water and then poured/swished throughout the tank so there's no high-concentration spots to oxidize fish gills.  Do this each evening just after the lights go out.  (Light destroys H2O2 quickly - that's why its sold in dark bottles).  Vallisneria, hornwort, and some mosses are sensitive to it, so use 1 ml/gal if you have these or other delicate plants.

Thanks, when I tried hydrogen peroxide I did not know to use with lights out. Probably why it did not work well when I tried it. I will give it a go again tonight.

Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Just a follow up. After trying lights out for 4 days, cutting back on feeding, scraping and cleaning, checking and triple checking water parameters, hydrogen peroxide (which did help a little), this nasty little bacteria kept coming back. I broke down and bought Chemiclean and gave it a try. After 24 hrs. there was a noticeable difference and after 48 hours nearly all of the cyano is gone. I will do another water change and cleaning tomorrow and see if I need to treat again but if any of you have this occur I so far highly recommend Chemiclean if all else fails. Real proof is if this crazy bacteria raises it's head again, but I suspect I have the upper hand for now.

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:04 am

It looks like this product is made to address your problem. I had never heard of Chemiclean. I'm not big on adding stuff to my tanks but it's good to know that it's available. Thanks for the update... Cool

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:48 pm

@JohnnyAMH wrote:
It looks like this product is made to address your problem. I had never heard of Chemiclean. I'm not big on adding stuff to my tanks but it's good to know that it's available. Thanks for the update... Cool

I too do not like adding stuff to my tanks but short of tearing completely down, throwing away plants and such then starting over, as a last ditch effort I gave this stuff a try. I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews and this product had very few downsides that I could see. It is listed safe for plants, fish and Inverts and so far it has done an awesome job getting rid of the Cyano. No harm to fish or plants nor signs of stress with them.
I did a cleaning first, scraped off plants and glass, as well as siphoning sand and then added the Chemiclean. I also increased the air pump as directed and so far the product worked as stated. I thought I was going to have to do a follow up treatment but after 48 to 72 hrs all gone and so far no signs of a reoccurrence.
Hope no one has to fight this but if you do this a good product.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:54 am

Johnny's the only person i've ever heard of that hasn't done battle against cyano at some time or another.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cyanobacteria woes   

Back to top Go down

cyanobacteria woes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Algae Woes-