Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Record holder for longest living shrimp???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Record holder for longest living shrimp???   Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:36 pm

I went back into the history of this forum and found the post where I purchased my first two amano shrimp. It was Feb 2013. So now they have lived to be 3 years and 1 month old, but when I bought them at the store they were already pretty big. I didn't know that they would last that long.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Record holder for longest living shrimp???   Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:37 am

Wow! That has to be close to a record, since 3 years is going to really be about it for any of these shrimps, and obviously they weren't babies when you got them. Nice job, David!

View user profile
JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Record holder for longest living shrimp???   Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:09 am

@ddavis1979 wrote:
I went back into the history of this forum and found the post where I purchased my first two amano shrimp.  It was Feb 2013.  So now they have lived to be 3 years and 1 month old, but when I bought them at the store they were already pretty big.  I didn't know that they would last that long.  

Wow, that's pretty amazing. You know, I once posted a reply to a fellow hobbyist and in it I made the statement, "If you can keep it alive." I felt kind of bad afterwards because I was concerned that I may have belittled his skill-set. I was hopeful for the guy. It's really to the contrary, I think it's a big deal to keep stuff alive...Cool

Like I said, I think that's pretty amazing... cheers

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Record holder for longest living shrimp???   Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:10 am

You are so right, Johnny! I tell newbies that I have, unfortunately, killed more fish in my time in the hobby than I could even begin to count. It is just part of it, and especially with critters like shrimp, truly.

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Record holder for longest living shrimp???   Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:56 pm

I think its dumb luck, I have not done anything special for these guys.  I am assuming the water and food and plants have aided in their survival, but its all unplanned.  

I have found that amano shrimp are more omnivorous than anything else.  They will seek out a dead fish or left over food, but when that is scarce, they will go back and pick through algae, dead plant material and detritus.

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Record holder for longest living shrimp???   Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:21 pm

@Liz wrote:
You are so right, Johnny! I tell newbies that I have, unfortunately, killed more fish in my time in the hobby than I could even begin to count. It is just part of it, and especially with critters like shrimp, truly.

Been there, done that.

Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Record holder for longest living shrimp???   Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:09 pm

@ddavis1979 wrote:
I went back into the history of this forum and found the post where I purchased my first two amano shrimp.  It was Feb 2013.  So now they have lived to be 3 years and 1 month old, but when I bought them at the store they were already pretty big.  I didn't know that they would last that long.
This is very interesting! With a colony it's hard to tell how long individuals are living, but with only two you can keep accurate records.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Record holder for longest living shrimp???   

Back to top Go down

Record holder for longest living shrimp???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Invertebrates-