Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Tiger Botia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Tiger Botia   Tue May 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Short story, long.....Smile

So when I rescued fish from a local guy, I adopted a huge 14" pleco, a huge 6" CAE, and a slightly smaller 5.5" rainbow shark.

After having these titans in the tank for about a month, I decided to take them to azalea aquariums for re-homing. They were just too big for my setup in the 55 gallon. (keep in mind a got them from someone's 20 gal long tank, but I stray)

Since I am having a lot of snails, and I liked the fish, I bought some Berdmorei Botia (Tiger Botia, Blythe's Loach). They are beautiful, and I active, a tremendous addition for the tank, but they are also mean and somewhat aggressive.

I will post pictures later, I don't know if there is much advice to be offered, other than to stop impulse buying, but I am open ears.

I also continue to spread the word of CVAS to local shoppers who could use a good forum Smile

Watch my updated aquarium video!
http://youtu.be/5SlIkYyPTWg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Botia   Wed May 04, 2016 11:53 am

How many do you have? Usually this issue can be somewhat reduced by increasing their numbers, which can often create other problems, depending on the tank size and other inhabitants.

P.S. They are known for their aggression, so there's that...

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Botia   Wed May 04, 2016 9:27 pm

I did only get 2, they were expensive and the fish shop didn't say I needed more to curb aggression.  Right now they only seem to fish with each other and leave the other fish alone.  I will go back and get some more soon.  Its odd, there is a weird clicking sound when they are chasing each other, like rocks being lightly tossed against the glass of the tank, but they are not touching the sides or the rocks.  Anyway, here are some pics and a half decent video of the latest tank stuff with a focus on the loaches.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Botia   Wed May 04, 2016 10:46 pm

Keep in mind that these get big, like clown loaches, so at some point you'll be rehoming.

Clicking! I love it. When I feed my loaches you can hear them clicking in happiness, and when I feed particularly yummy food the clicking sounds like popcorn, and you can hear it over the tv or music, but there almost a dozen smallish loaches in the tank, so a lot of them making the noise at the same time. The louder the clicking, the happier they are. Yours are clicking in the excitement of their interactions.

These loaches can show aggression to other species as well, so watch them.

View user profile
ddavis1979
CVASAuthor

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Botia   Thu May 05, 2016 9:24 am

I have been watching them Smile I love watching them! haha! So active and pretty and different looking. These guys are diggers too, they will jam those snouts a full inch into the substrate and poke around for tasty morsels.

So far they are ignoring the other species.

What makes that clicking sound? Do they use it in aggression?

As far as the size goes, right now I plan on keeping them in my tank for the long haul just because I like them so much. But I don't expect them to exceed 6 inches based on experience with other fish in the tank. I don't know if its my feeding schedule, or other tank conditions, but most of my fish seem to grow very slowly and don't reach maximum size.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Botia   Thu May 05, 2016 9:44 am

The clicking is made in their mouths, and they make it when they are very content, or when they are being aggressive with each other. They do get pretty vigorous when rooting in the substrate, so not so great for planted tanks, and they can tear their barbels up, depending on the type of substrate.

Loaches are awesome! I have a group of B. striata and B. histrionica, and a single clown loach, which I got from Ron when he moved, which is very small still. I have plenty of room in the 125 though so far, as the other species don't ever get more than about 4" or so. They are in with a large school of denison barbs.

Another thing they might do, which can be alarming, is to jam into corners/caves and lie on their backs, which makes it look like they might be dead, but they aren't.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tiger Botia   

Back to top Go down

Tiger Botia

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: General Freshwater-