Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Water Garden Tubs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Water Garden Tubs   Tue May 17, 2016 9:42 pm

Anyone setting up water gardening tubs over the summer?

A few weeks ago I picked up a Momo Botan and a Dauben.

I've never had tubs, but it's been fun setting them up and watching them begin to grow....

I'll update the thread with some pics.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Water Garden Tubs   Tue May 17, 2016 10:01 pm

Awesome! I set up a gambusia tub on my deck every spring as a mosquito trap, and it works great, especially when we don't get a lot of rain and the biters have to use it more for egg laying (guess that's out for the foreseeable future...). I put water lettuce and tried a lotus last year but it didn't make it. I don't get many hours of sun on y deck.

Rachel O'Leary, of Ms. Jinkzd Invertebrates, an aquarium convention regular, has a series of videos about summer tubbin' (http://youtu.be/aqN0vEbcJCQ)

Post pics for sure! bowl

View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Water Garden Tubs   Tue May 24, 2016 8:49 am

Tracey;

I have a large 110 gallon rain collection tub that I use for water changes in the aquairums in the summer. Usually, I put some guppies in that tub to eat the mosquitos.  I also have a smaller tub with a bamboo fountain type of feature.  Last year I had the fountain in a different container; I put guppies there and may do the same this year. At this time, I am just coloring the water and putting some snails and floating plants in it:  Dwarf water lettuce (Thanks Liz), Frog bit and Salvinia.  They are fun.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
thegundog
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Water Garden Tubs   Fri May 27, 2016 10:17 pm

I have the Dauben set up in the exact same 1/2 barrel tub that you have Steve - it's a nice size and was like $12.00...

I didn't know you could use guppies for mosquito control, I thought I may have to get some mosquito fish but they don't seem to be readily available locally and are more expensive than guppies. A local water garden shop said to buy a few of the .25 cent comets at Petco.... I like the sound of using guppies.

As a result of a few days of wonderful sunshine this week, the Lotus produced 3 new pads over the past few days. The Lilly also sprouted 2 new pads.

I added some surface plants called forget me nots and they have some very nice dainty flowers.

I'm also going to add some background plants to the Dauben, cat tails of pickerel rush - something tall for the background.

I think the Lotus is going to take over - the pads get huge, so do the blooms....

Liz, thanks for the mzjinx info - I'm going to check out her videos.

Here's a pic of my my dismal little tub starting out (May 24, 2016).....

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water Garden Tubs   

Back to top Go down

Water Garden Tubs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Off Topic-