Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Mon May 30, 2016 9:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi, im glad to have found you all. Im in Richmond in the Far West End.

Ive been reading about the Walstad method and smaller natural planted setups.  I setup my first 1 gallon storage jar with some anacharis, val, free "pest snails", some soil, gravel, and a north facing window on my desk.  Its been a few weeks, my levels are stable and the Anacharis has almost doubled in size along with my little pond snails.

Im getting ready to setup a 3 gallon jar soon for some RCS and am doing my research.  Ive already found a bunch of posts on here about natural planted tank setups, and harvesting driftwood and plants from the James.  Id also be interested if anyone in town has Red Cherry Shrimp for sale or a few small plant trimmings that I might be able to use to setup my 3 gallon with.

I've also been hanging out in Reddit asking questions in a really neat subReddit called Jarrariums where they setup small Walstad planted jars of all sizes.

I used to hang out on the Applesnail.net forrum and had a small tank with some Mystery snails and java ferns 10 years ago, but Ive been taking a break since then. These little low maintenance planted jars seem like the perfect easy and inexpensive way to get back into the hobby. Back in 2005 nobody really talked about plant fertilizers, and little freshwater shrimp only came in the Ghost variety ;-)

Im also a member of Coastals.org and do white water stand up paddle boarding in Richmond, in case there are any Coastal Canoeists members on here, too Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:55 pm

@Liz, you gave me so many different plants, I think I have too much going on plant wise, with that limited footprint :-)

Last edited by Gabe79 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:59 pm

@Deb this guide has the best instructions for setting up a jar. I could also add a few pointers that I have learned as well.  What section would be the best to post the guide? Maybe under Planted Tanks /Getting Started?

Last edited by Gabe79 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:14 pm

Right now im trying out a different thing to balance the PH and water hardness. Since with mysteries it is really important to keep the PH 7+ and some water hardness so that their shells stay nice and hard. I was using cut up chunks of cuttlebone, but they looked kinda terrible against the black sand, so I decided I would try crushing the cuttlebone, but it didn't dissolve as quickly as I thought it would so everything was a little powdery looking for a week.

When I had my 10 gallon with mysteries in the past, I struggled with water PH until I eventually replaced the substrate with crushed corral. I think I may buy a bag of crushed corral and redo the jar with a thin layer of corral gravel above the dirt, and then the regular layer of gravel on top. That way the PH and hardness/calcium is taken care of and all the snail poo has better access to the soil microbes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:34 pm

@Gabe79 wrote:
@Deb this guide has the best instructions for setting up a jar. I could also add a few pointers that I have learned as well.  What section would be the best to post the guide? Maybe under Planted Tanks /Getting Started?

Thanks for the guide. I will use the info on my next project.

Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:23 pm

I reset up the 2.5 gallon, it looks amazing thanks @Liz!

The java fern and anubias nana melted, but the bacopa is growing strong, the crypt is sprouting 3 new leaves, the bigger anubias is hanging on (I think it's getting too much light?) the duckweed is going like crazy and the java moss is doing well (I think the snails may be nibbling it). The jungle val is getting big and I added a single big amazon sword because I thought it needed one really big thing in there and the snails love the broad leaves.

http://cvas.forumotion.com/t2146-new-2-5-gallon-jarrarium#18147
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:30 pm

This is my favorite picture so far. @deb would this one work for the FB page?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:37 pm

What species of snail is that?

Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:53 pm

Pomacea bridgesii diffusa, i talk about it here:

http://cvas.forumotion.com/t2146-new-2-5-gallon-jarrarium#18147
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Mystery snails. Oh OK.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:07 pm

Amazon Sword and Jungle Val in a 2-gal? You will soon find there's no room for water!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Lol @gerald hardly, you just gotta trim them ;-)  The shrimp will appreciate the dense foliage. If you google "Walstad Jar" they kinda look best when they are densely planted.

Im not 100% sure its jungle Val, I bought it from Fins and Feathers and the kid really had no idea, just that it was a val.

I did see some mature specimens at Azalea's yesterday, but they assured me you can just trim them when the get too tall. Gives me something to do, like having a bonsai tree Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Interesting. How do you trim Amazon Swords? The individual leaves on mine (from Azalea) grow to the surface in a 29g. Where do you cut the plant?

Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:54 pm

For the vals, just cut them on the leaves where you want to cut them. On the sword, i'll cross that when I get there I guess.

Ive got some nice leaves curling around the top of the jar and starting to form a canopy, but there are a bunch of new leaves sprouting on the bottom. I guess I could just cut off whatever big leaves I want at the bottom of the stalk and let the small leaves grow to replace them.

Im just happy the sword is doing so well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: facebook page   Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:55 am

@Gabe79 wrote:
This is my favorite picture so far. @deb would this one work for the FB page?

Yes, this is very good! ThumbsUp Give me a few days to set it up, but I think we have a winner. Very Happy

8/3 - Done! See @Gabe79 's photo here:
https://www.facebook.com/Central-Virginia-Aquarium-Support-1481143262134674/

Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Looks great as does the rest of the FB page.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates   

Back to top Go down

New and into small natural bowl setups for invertabrates

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-