Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

2.5 gallon jar with driftwood aquascaping ideas needed.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: 2.5 gallon jar with driftwood aquascaping ideas needed.   Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:04 pm

This will be my second jarraraium, a heavily planted dirted tank for shrimp and snails only.  I found a great piece of driftwood in a strainer by the river that sounded very aged when struck.  I boiled it, let it soak overnight, and it sank like a brick the next day!  Whee!

Ive been reading a little on aquascaping and the rule of three when it comes to porportions and im looking for ideas.  

Heres what im working with:

-2.5 gallon cookie jar about 12" tall and 8.5" round
- Some anacharis for height.
-A clump of Bacopa from my other jar.
-Some java moss for foreground/midground cover.
-Thinking about capping with gravel in the background and part midground, and having a third of the tank be sand in the foreground and part midground to make a curved "stream bed" look.

Not sure what to put on the driftwood.  Maybe a clump of Java moss at the Y, or would that be too centered?  I guess the driftwood is my focal point, not sure where to put the tall and short plants around it.

Here is what I think is a good driftwood placement, when viewed from the front.  The sides of the jar refract the light in such a way that things dissapear if they are too close to the sides.

Here is what it looks like from the top. I have plenty of room to have a sand "stream bed" to come in diagonally either from left or right:

I dont know what side to have the tall plants on, and what do I do with the open space on the left? Leave it open, put an interesting rock there, put a plant there?  Thinking I would like a Val and a Crypt in there, but not sure where I would place them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: 2.5 gallon jar with driftwood aquascaping ideas needed.   Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:46 pm

Keep in mind that aquascaping a small container with fast-growing plants is maintenance-intensive. Fall behind on maint and you'll soon have an 8 x 12 cylindrical block of java moss with a few leaves of other plants trying to poke through. Corkscrew Val might be a more manageable size than Jungle Val.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

2.5 gallon jar with driftwood aquascaping ideas needed.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-