Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Wild Altum Angelfish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Varma
CVASMember

PostSubject: Wild Altum Angelfish   Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:18 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to find out if any local guys are raising Wild altum Angelfish?. If so I would like to get in touch and do a information share.

I have 10 of them in a tank all by themself. They are 2 years old. They are not taking food now a days that eagerly. I am trying to do couple of things. I would like to add Regular Angelfish Pair temporarily so that They can train these wild ones how to eat other food also. also how to pair and lay eggs. If any of you guys have pair which are laying egggs already I really would like to get them. Please let me know.

Also If you guys have any live food cultures/plants , please ping me. I would like to get hands on.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:13 pm

I do not know anything about Altums but welcome to CVAS. Do you have pics of your Angelfish you can share? People would love to see them.

Varma
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:35 pm

My Youtube channel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Varma
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:39 pm

This is last year. I lost the plants (vals) and small plants. I love to have the vals if anyone have them as exchange of some aquarium stuff. I have lot of junk (In good condition) laying around
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:42 pm

Beautiful Angels. What size aquarium is that? No vals but plenty of dwarf hygro.

Varma
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:20 pm

90 Gallon. I love to get hands on any plants you guys have. I am in a stage where I would like to add 10-12 types plants to make fish calm again. They are at a stage now a days they are freaking out for shadows which is common with altums. I looking for plants that grow rapidly/moderate level.

Please let me know if you have even small trimmings of different rooted background or middle or foreground plants, please let me know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Check out this article: http://cvas.forumotion.com/t1801-hygrophila-polysperma-dwarf-hygro

In my experience, the dwarf hygro grows very fast. Let me know what you think.

neogeo20041
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Im not sure what you are feeding but live food is a great way to get their intertest back. If that doesn't work try adding http://www.seachem.com/garlicguard.php to the food.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:12 pm

Varma wrote:
... Also If you guys have any live food cultures/plants , please ping me. I would like to get hands on.

There are often live cultures of microworms for sale or trade at the James River Aquarium Club meetings.  If you do not already know their schedule, check out the information under "What's Going On?"

JohnnyAMH
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Often multiple  water changes over several days will stimulate appetites... Neutral

~~~ My Aquariums ~~~
55 gal. Planted Community Show Tank
(Swordtails, Neons, Kuhlii Loaches and Bristled Nose Plecos)
30 gal. Bare Bottom Adult Angelfish Tank
20 gal. Bare Bottom Angelfish Breeder Tank
10 gal. Bare Bottom  Angelfish Fry Tank
10 gal. Planted Show Tank
(Guppies and Bristled Nose Plecos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:21 pm

Vallisneria needs more GH hardness than is good for altum angels. Choose plants that can live in very low GH, like Java fern. Food: have you tried small red earthworms, the kind you find in leaf piles?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:29 pm

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:22 pm

Yes interesting indeed ... thanks for posting. There are some fish, including our local banded and blackbanded sunfishes, that are found primarily in soft, acidic blackwater in nature, but don't really need those conditions physiologically, and actually do better in captivity in slightly harder, higher pH conditions. Neon and cardinal tetras can certainly live many years (longer than they would in nature) at neutral pH and moderate hardness. Maybe P. altum is like that too. They might need low pH and low hardness just to trigger spawning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:02 am

Are you a member of The Angelfish Study Group? I have found these folks very helpful when I was keeping wild leopoldi angels. They regularly import and keep altums: http://www.finarama.com/forum/

Also, Heiko Bleher, intrepid explorer, biologist and discoverer of many species we know and love today, who grew up and has spent many years in the waters where altum angels are found, often will contribute to the TASG forum. He actually ID'd my own fish for me years ago!

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wild Altum Angelfish   

Back to top Go down

Wild Altum Angelfish

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Photography and Videos-