Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:37 pm

So I was looking at youtube last night researching dirted tanks. I came across a video were the guy had put a tank on his deck to be able grow more plants for his show tanks. I figured I have a small 5g tank in the basement not doing anything and i wanted to play around with a dirted tank. So why not create a 5g dirted plant grow out tank and put it on my back deck. Then i figured it would get full of mosquito larva so why not feed the live larva to my fish. More plants and free food. worth a try. worst case i will put the 5g back in the basement or take it to work and put it on my desk.

Anyone tried this or have any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:24 pm

No suggestions at this point. What plants? Look forward to updates.

cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:38 pm

I will take clippings from my main tank and see what happens. Ludwegia, cumbumba, java ferns, sag, and vals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:51 am

I was able to get the 5g setup yesterday evening. Its still a little cloudy. It has 1 to 1.5 inches of potting soil under about the same amount of pool filter sand. I wetted down the soil to a brownie batter consistency and pressed as much air out if it as i could before adding the sand. then add the water.
[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:39 am

Here is a updated picture with the clippings of the plants I put in the tank yesterday evening. I will be out of town for the next week. So we will see how it goes in that time.
" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el_mocoso
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:22 pm

Is there a reason you are covering the dirt with sand if it's just for the plants?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:28 pm

To keep the dirt from getting stirred up when working with the plants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el_mocoso
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Ah, makes sense. How are you going to catch the larva? A net?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:41 pm

Shrimp net.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabe79
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Looks Awesome @cholt! @el_mocoso, if you don't use a gravel or sand cap, when you add water the soil will all dissolve and you are left with a bunch of muddy water with nothing left on the bottom to show for it!  Plus all the little pieces of bark will float to the surface.

Im just going to leave this here if anyone is interested in setting up a small dirted planted tank...

http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:30 pm

@Gabe79 Great article. I plan to use the info for my next project.

el_mocoso
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Got any growth or updated pics?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:50 am

Here is a updated photo of the tank from this morning. It's a little greener nut I was expecting that to happen. " />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el_mocoso
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:37 am

Nice! Cool to see the growth. I just ordered a 5 pack of plants on Amazon and put them in. Some are blowing up already just a week later, while others are not so quick. I'd post photo's, but just had an unexplained algae/bacteria bloom that makes the tank look terrible and the plants hard to see. I'll post as soon as it cleans itself up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el_mocoso
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:32 am

Any pics of this project? Have you taken it down for the winter? I would love an update.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:47 am

i haven't taken it down yet. i will be doing that this weekend. I will take a couple pictures before i do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cholt
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:29 pm

Well I forgot to take any pictures of the tank before I took it down yesterday. But I was able to get alot of new plants to put into my main tank from it. I'll take either a picture of it or a video later this evening.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.    

Back to top Go down

New adventure!! Going to build a 5g dirted outdoor plant grow out tank and free live food as well.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Planted Tanks :: Planted Tank Adventures-