Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Howdy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
el_mocoso
CVASMember

PostSubject: Howdy   Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi folks,

Just introducing myself. I'm a freshwater fish keeper from the SML area that has had a 20 gal community for about 6 years off and on. The planted tanks tours and instructionals on Youtube have really got got me interested in the hobby again. I'm looking to expand into another or bigger tank, but don't have the time/space/money right now.

For now I've got a low tank setup with 1 Bolivian Ram, 7 Glowlight Tetras, ghost and Amano shrimp, 2 albine Cory and a Oto cat.

If any of you in the area of SML are thinning out your planted tank, I'd love to have some clippings/sprouts you may be getting rid of and will drive to pick them up.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Welcome aboard!!! A lot of people on CVAS have low tech setups, myself included. Any pics of your aquarium?

el_mocoso
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:52 am

This is what I have now. Looking to get it heavily planted ASAP, but it's a slow process. Right now I have Java Fern, Amazon Sword, and some Crypt. There is also Water Lettuce floating on the top and a Pothos plant stem sticking in back by the HOB filter.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:23 pm

Is that a 20 tall? I like the driftwood on the right. It would look good with java moss or anubias on it.

el_mocoso
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:33 pm

Yes it is a 20 tall, which as I get more into the hobby, I wish it was a long with more horizontal real estate. All rocks and driftwood were scavenged out of Smith Mountain Lake. Most of the driftwood I gathered is no longer usable, and this piece is on it's last leg also. Just getting too soft.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:03 am

@el_mocoso I agree, I love using collected wood, but after about two years even the thickest branches get too soft and then it's nothing but siphoning wood debris off the sand. That's a great look on the right, with the wood reaching up to the surface.  I've used water lettuce in my aquariums, and I love the trailing roots, just like your pic shows. Very Happy

el_mocoso
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:57 am

Bought a 6 pack of low tech plants off Amazon a couple of weeks ago. I rescaped and planted them, had a huge algae bloom for about 10 days, then rescaped a bit again to spread the  plants out more. The rocks were moved more to the center so I could plant around the back. The water lettuce is getting smaller and smaller as I keep taking the older ones out (because the roots keep getting overtaken by bluegreen bacteria)
Once things settle down a bit, I am going to add more albino cory, otos, and try to find a female Bolivian Ram.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:51 pm

The wood may be soft & old but it looks good.

Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:22 am

Welcome, and your tank is looking great! I feel your pain with the algae, and sometimes adding plants can send things over the edge, though you'd think the opposite! If they bring in just a smidgen of something, it can proliferate. I've found the floating plants, like water lettuce and duckweed, can often uptake the nutrients faster than the algae, but it sounds like you're battling a strong one if it is covering the roots of the floaters. I'll bet in time as the plants get established they'll get the upper hand.

View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:12 am

Welcome and you are in the right place to get information.  Youtube is a great source for research.
There are auctions coming up at the Catfish convention and also James River Aquarium club in Richmond.  They will have plants, fish and all sorts of aquarium related things.

Please search this forum and ask questions!!!  Best wishes!

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Nick_B
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:31 am

Welcome to the forum.  I live in the Goode area and have several work colleagues who live in the SML/Huddleston area.

Pet Aquatic Warehouse (PAW) in Lynchburg generally has a decent selection of plants but I would do my research first as they have some new people now who may not be up on aquatic plants.  Some of the people who have been there for some time are okay and will know customers who are really into planted tanks and may be able to facilitate a meeting.

As Steve said above, the club auctions are an unbelievable source of plants at great prices.  I've attended the one in Raleigh, NC and the PVAS auction in northern VA.  I hope to make the next James River club auction in Richmond.  Good luck, and welcome again.

In theory, there is no difference between practice and theory.  But, in practice there is.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Howdy   

Back to top Go down

Howdy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-