Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Dicrossus maculatus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Dicrossus maculatus   Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:39 pm

I got a pair of these a few weeks ago from another dwarf cichlid hobbyist and I guess they've decided that I did a good enough job on their home. The male is outstanding, but very camera-shy while the female is a captive subject; refusing to leave the clutch. I'll keep trying to get a pic of the male.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:37 pm

This is exciting! What size tank is that and are any other species in there?

finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:47 pm

They're in a 40L with a pair of Apisto trifasciata and some Hemigrammus hyanuary tetras as dithers. Lots of wood and leaves, pH at just under 6 and very soft water. I had a small school of black phantom tetras in the tank up until a few days ago but they would devour all the food before it got to the cichlids. It's probably a good thing they're gone: too fast and too aggressive for the parents to keep away from the eggs & young fish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:57 pm

It will be interesting to see how the eggs do. Very Happy I had my eye on a trio of Dicrossus filamentosus for my Rio Orinoco tank, because in those days I was only stocking with endemic species. In the end I didn't get them because I was concerned about their behavior with Corydoras.

How do you keep your pH so low?

finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:15 pm

The filamentosus are beautiful, aren't they? I don't have any right now (maybe again soon!) I've always wanted to get some of the D. foirni, but so far haven't been able to get hold of any.

I usually don't have to use any additives to control pH, just 100% rain water with lots of locust wood and oak leaves. Every once in a while it needs some acid buffer, but it's easy to make the pH take a nose dive if you're not careful.

Still trying to get a good pic of the male!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:38 pm

The foirni are new to me. It used to be that Mark Denaro would  have that level of hard to get fish on his list, but of course he is not in that business any more.

How are your eggs doing?

finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:49 pm

The eggs disappeared this morning, along with the female. I'm hoping that she's caring for the wrigglers someplace out of sight, but probably won't know until I see her either with or without a brood

I've only seen D. foirni once, and that was a single male. Back then it was known as Dicrossus "double-dot" (dating self here). There are some fair pictures online, but they don't match up to the extraordinary fish of my memory.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:57 pm

D. maculatus is one of my all-time favorites. I had a gorgeous pair many years ago from Santarem (north end of Tapajos River) that Ken Davis (Atlanta Aqu Soc) imported, but I never managed to raise any fry.  Somebody on the Apistogramma.com forum had a thread not too long ago about breeding D. foirni.  Not sure if he was in USA or another country though.  That forum is quite international.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:40 pm

They've always been one of mine as well, Gerald. I'm not sure the locality of these, but the pair I had years ago was lower Tapajos as well, if I remember rightly. Anyway, the female came out from hiding today and had this bunch with her (please forgive the awful picture- didn't want to spook them by cleaning the glass and taking a whole bunch of shots).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:30 am

Excellent! I hope they survive and grow well and stay around the club a long time.  It's one of those species that you can't rely on getting new wild imports very often.  Does she let male get close, or keep him away? Here's my old pair from 2007:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:28 am

Absolutely beautiful, Gerald! Nice pictures.

Momma keeps everyone at bay: the male is confined to one back corner and the Apistos are in the other, while the tetras don't venture from the very top of the tank. I will probably pull the Apistos just to save them from the anxiety. So far, so good with the fry. They're eating well and seem very healthy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Very interesting. Any updates?

finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Sure, Donald;

For their safety, the Apistos were moved to another tank, leaving only the Dicrossus and a few tetras in the breeding/rearing tank. Lots of water changes and lots of small foods later, they seem to be doing fine. There's between 40 and 50 young as far as I can tell. They're interesting to watch as they compete for food or just spar for fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Wow. Not only have you managed to keep a delicate cichlid alive but you have it thriving with offspring. Kudos.

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:03 pm

Awesome! Glad to see they're doing very well. We'd love to see the father if you can get a shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks for the kind words, guys and happy New Year all;

The Dicrossus tank got a larger than normal water change yesterday (Saturday nights I do all my water changes: my life is exciting) to try and clean it up a little after weeks of trying not to disturb the young fish too much. Feeding them this evening I notice the female is guarding another clutch of eggs in a hollowed-out locust limb.

I'm afraid the best picture I have of the male is not very good. He's a nervous type and hides most of the time.  I even put a mirror in the tank to see if he'd act aggressively towards another male- he retreated. However, the female did hit the mirror hard enough to knock it over. This picture I got by spotlighting him after the lights were out for a while. He's washed out and resting on the bottom but it does show some color.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Donald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Pretty and healthy IMO. More on the way? Great!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dicrossus maculatus   

Back to top Go down

Dicrossus maculatus

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Freshwater :: Cichlids of the World :: South American Cichlids-