Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hi to all fish nuts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Montykillies
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hi to all fish nuts   Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:19 am

Hi, I have just joined the site. My name is Monty Lehmann. I have kept and bred tropical fish for more than 50 years.
In 2007 I was the Chairman of the American Killifish society. I have been a past President of the San Diego Tropical Fish Society, a founding member of both the San Diego Killie Group and the Chesapeake Killie Club.
I have bred hundreds of species of fish, all freshwater, including cichlids, gouramies, barbs, catish and numerous species of killies.
A terrible car accident in late 2006 almost killed me and my heath steadily declined until three years ago I was forced to retire from my job as an accelerator experimental physicist (along with other factors) and stop keeping all fish. At that time I moved to Petersburg and disposed of the 120 tanks I then owned along with most of my equipment. I only kept a 100 gallon tank which is currently empty.
My health has recovered somewhat and I would like to dip my fin back into the hobby (a little to start).
I am looking for sources of good quality general aquarium fish, such as corys, dwarf gouramis, swordtails etc, not the pitiful diseased stuff I see in the few shops in my area. Any suggestions?
I also need to pick up one or two smaller tanks, anywhere from a 29 long to a 55 gal. I have a van to haul them so transportation is not a problem, but I do not want to drive a great distance as I am disabled.
Since I am new I am not going to try to interfere in ongoing business. If anyone has any tanks available in the Richmond area, please drop me a line.

Best Regards from a very longtime Fishkeeper!

Monty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all fish nuts   Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Welcome back to the fish keeping world Monty - glad you're back in action. I know you by name, having worked for Bob Goldstein the past 30-ish years and seen lots of JAKA issues. Bob has also retired and is no longer keeping fish. Club auctions are your best bet for local-grown fish and plants, if you dont trust pet shop fish. Raleigh just had a fall auction auction last month, and our next will be March 12 (Carolina Aquarium Workshop 2017). There's probably some Richmond area folks you can ride down with, if you're up for that. Also check with the James River Aqu Soc for their next Richmond auction dates. And PVAS of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
finzz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all fish nuts   Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Monty!

You may not remember me, but I do remember you from the CAKC years ago. I'm sorry to hear about your accident but glad you're recovering and able to ease back into the hobby.

Gerald has a good point about the Richmond club: a bunch of great people that raise some great fish. They may be able to set you up with a lot of what you're looking for. I've got a bunch of Corys and some dwarf cichlids, tetras and rainbows and I'd be glad to help get you hooked back into the habit. I'm in the north end of Virginia but maybe could meet you half way somewhere. PM me if you want a list of what I've got available. Welcome back!

Don Kinyon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all fish nuts   Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Monty;

Welcome and I am looking forward to meeting you. JRAS meetings are held monthly with many great speakers.
Auctions are great places to get fish and plants.

Best wishes.

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi to all fish nuts   

Back to top Go down

Hi to all fish nuts

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-