Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hello from Charlottesville!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
locked31
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hello from Charlottesville!   Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:44 am

Hi!  I just found this forum today as I'm working to start a 55 gallon aquarium.  I had a 5 gallon a year ago but with such a small tank it went downhill fast.  

My wife and I are looking into a discus setup (her family raised some discus when she was growing up), and we would be extremely grateful for any help you all can provide!  We've learned a lot about discus communities in just a couple of days research but I'm sure there is a ton more knowledge to gain.  

Please post any questions or kind words you have.  I'm excited to be a part of this group!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scruiz
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Charlottesville!   Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:04 am

Hello fellow Charlottsville Aquarium keeper.

The last James River Aquarium Club meeting was by the President on how he keeps discus. They are not especially easy to keep and have some requirements. Skoolz of Fish in Richmond is another good source where you can get Discus information and fish.

Welcome to the group!

Steve R

Aquariums: 90, 45, 125, 20 long, Fish Room Racks: 2 x 55 gal  and 2 x 15 gal  and a Fluval Spec V
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ziurcs.shutterfly.com
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Charlottesville!   Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Welcome Locked31. You have found an excellent group to provide help and support with your tanks. While there is a lot of hype about how hard it is to keep Discus, much of it is half truths today. I see you have been searching a lot of groups and I applaud you for that. However, be careful of what you take away from them. Discus Hans, and Discus USA are a couple of good sources to ask information to help you. Since your wife's family had experience in the past that should help you immensely getting started. Gone are the days of having to keep soft water, RO water, and etc. Most large breeders are using tap water to breed, raise and grow out just like most of us. Water changes are key, and again there is a plethora of info out there as to daily, weekly and etc., I find simply do what works for you. No two aquariums even set up side by side and duplicating each other will be the same. Find what works and stay with it. If you can go away with any tip I have found it less expensive in the long run buying Discus in the 4 to 5" size or larger easier to care for and less mortality rate. Cost a little more initially but found when I lose 1 or two of the smaller fish, and I have to replace again it costs more than getting larger size to begin with . Good luck with them. I look forward to hearing about your success and make sure to post pics.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Charlottesville!   

Back to top Go down

Hello from Charlottesville!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-