Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Making a hard choice - ICH

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NVFC
CVASMember

PostSubject: Making a hard choice - ICH   Tue May 16, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi guys,
I was doing a serious water change on my 40 gal tank because of planaria. I have two 6" oscars(yes I know I need a bigger tank and I am trying to buy one). I put the oscars in a 20 plastic storage container while I cleaned the tank and let the water cycle.. well I just took the fish out 3 days later and one of the Oscars is showing signs of ich.. it has multiple spots near the it's gills and a sliming coat on it's side. I had some ich medicine form a past scare and immediately put it in the tank. The other oscar looks completely fine so I put him in the 40 gal with med too.

My question is this- Do I put both back in the 40 gal or treat them separately? I only have the 20 gal storage container and I do not have two heaters.. Plus I would be worried the storage container could melt with contact to a heater. Is three days a long time for ich to develop?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://nvasweb.wixsite.com/nvfc
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Making a hard choice - ICH   Wed May 17, 2017 9:25 am

I would treat both fish in the 40, where you can observe them better and they'll probably eat better, assuming they get along well together. Three days is about one life cycle period for ich in warm water.
BTW what's wrong with planaria in a tank? (unless breeding egg-scattering fish)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NVFC
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Making a hard choice - ICH   Thu May 18, 2017 8:27 am

Hi Gerald,
Thank you for the advice. I will do that.They were not actually planaria.. I think they were detritus worms. They were all hiding in the gravel and when I cleaned my tank they would swim around in huge clouds. It was really gross. My tank had millions of them and they got into my guppie fry tank too. So i decided to take everything apart and wash it with vinegar and salt. It has been 3 days and I have not seen any of those white worms squiggling around so far. Any advice on dealing with them? I assume it is from having too small of a tank for my oscars. I am adding a temporary 20 gal wet sump to the 40 gal to add a little more water.

><(((*>
Member of the Northern Virginia Fish Club. Check us out!

><(((*>
Northern Virginia Fish Club
https://nvasweb.wixsite.com/nvfc

Meetup- https://www.meetup.com/Northern-Virginia-Fish-Club/
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://nvasweb.wixsite.com/nvfc
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Making a hard choice - ICH   Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 pm

They are harmless scavengers, eating leftover food crumbs that the oscars leave behind. Either something has to eat it (gravel-sifting fish, worms, snails) or it rots and pollutes the water. Better to have worms than decaying food. You could also introduce blackworms into the gravel, if you like those any better than Naidids (detritus worms). Oscars are messy eaters and make a lot of crumbs; you'll still have that issue in a bigger tank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making a hard choice - ICH   

Back to top Go down

Making a hard choice - ICH

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Suggestions and Questions-