Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

RiftNut Intro

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RiftNut
CVASMember

PostSubject: RiftNut Intro   Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Hello all,
In West Central Virginia just south of Roanoke in Franklin County my passion for aquatic life was born. It started for me with a 20 gallon stainless steel rimmed tank, gravel, sponge filter, air pump, fake plants and two calico fancy goldfish from Woolworths at Towers Mall. Since then 27 years has past and my enthusiasm and passion still carries on today. Those times were full of learning lessons and plenty of research which I continue to do. I have kept fresh, brackish, acidic and saltwater but my freshwater tanks have always been my mainstay.
Currently I operate 6 tanks which 5 are freshwater, 1-55 gallon paladarium, 1-125 gallon Tanganyika tank, 2-55 gallon Malawi tank, 1-50 gallon saltwater tank and 1-30 gallon acidic tank.
Species List:
Short fin Albino and regular bristle nose plecos
Dragon Blood peacocks
Yellow tail Acei
Kasanga Red Rainbow Tropheus
Kigoma 7 Stripe Frontosa
Golden Wonder Killi fish
Yellow Gold Red Stripe guppies
Orandas
Long fin Comets

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: RiftNut Intro   Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Welcome to CVAS, @RiftNut. Very Happy Thanks for joining us, and telling us about your tanks. I'm just wondering about the "acidic" tank - is it a low pH set-up? What's in it?

gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RiftNut Intro   Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:25 pm

27 years? You're not fooling us. Stainless-steel frame tanks haven't been made since the 1970's! (I still have a couple too, and my beloved first box filter (1965) with the embossed angelfish).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RiftNut
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RiftNut Intro   Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 am

Good morning, deb and Gerald. The acidic tank 6.0 to 6.5 pH is the 55 paladarium (simulated land meeting water). It houses yellow gold guppies and long fin BN Plecos. Soon to be converted to an all Australian Rainbow tank. Yes sir, 27 years total as a hobbyist and 12 years professionally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gerald
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: RiftNut Intro   Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Wow, your local Woolworths still had "new" stainless steel frame tanks in 1990? I think mid-70's was the last time I remember seeing them in stores (as a kid in MA). Maybe Woolworths had a warehouse stash of old Metaframes, or maybe some manufacturers in this area kept on making them longer.

Which rainbowfish species are you planning to get? There's usually some locally-bred rainbows at the Raleigh Aquar Soc semi-annual auctions ... our next one is Sun Nov 5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RiftNut Intro   

Back to top Go down

RiftNut Intro

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-