Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

hi everyone! (redzebra Virginia Beach)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: hi everyone! (redzebra Virginia Beach)   Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

hi guys, i just joined this sitelike what, 5 minutes ago? and just wanted to say hey! i breed african cichlids. all together i have 2 green spotted puffers, 14 rusty's (not including fry), 7 yellow labs (electric yellow, not including fry), 6 red zebras (some of my favorite) 1 elong chailosi, 2 cobalt blue zebra's, 2 bumblebee's, 4 kenyi's, 3 msobo magunga deep, 1 afra, 2 convicts, and an albino mbuna (unsure what he is). currently i have 13 rusty fry, 18 yellow lab fry (another yellow lab is holding now) and im about to get some big red zebras from a guy that breed like crazy so hpefully i'll have some of those soon too!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

AuthorMessage
bac3492
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: hi everyone! (redzebra Virginia Beach)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Mbuna were/are certainly my favorite. Each fish certainly has a character of its own, ranging from extremely aggressive to overly docile.

I recommend using sand with them in every tank, as its always fun to watch them dig and create their own homes, spawning pits and even a few fighting rings.

I would be hesitant to change hands with any of the lab fry you are growing out if the parents are within the same tank as red zebra. Hybridization between the two is shockingly high and it is difficult to see whether offspring are pure early in life. It is one of the most common mixes you see amongst mbuna in pet stores but is highly frowned upon in the hobby.

Definitely a nice group of fish. You should look into finding yourself a line of the Blue/red zebra. I always preferred them as they give a good color variety and you can determine the sex of the fry upon first glance. Only males are blue, females are the usual orange/red color. Great Fish!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: hi everyone! (redzebra Virginia Beach)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:16 pm

i breed the labs in a 55 and when i notice the female holding i remove her into my 75 gal "community" tank. plus my zebras are still pretty small right now. butt every lab i've had thats held, i've witnessed them breeding. (the male in the pic is the daddy) but yeah i understand. i have 2 more holding right now that i saw him mate with several days ago (about 4 days apart.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bac3492
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: hi everyone! (redzebra Virginia Beach)   Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:23 pm

redzebra wrote:
i breed the labs in a 55 and when i notice the female holding i remove her into my 75 gal "community" tank. plus my zebras are still pretty small right now. butt every lab i've had thats held, i've witnessed them breeding. (the male in the pic is the daddy) but yeah i understand. i have 2 more holding right now that i saw him mate with several days ago (about 4 days apart.)

As long as there are not breeding sized adults together you should be fine. Weird things can happen when you mix too many species.

My favorite tank was a 55 gallon with cynotilapia afra cobue and pseudotropheus saulosi. The dominant male in both species was breeding on opposite ends of the tank. I remember seeing it and watching from sheer rarity. The cobue female swallowed the clutch before i was able to strip her. But the female saulosi spit a brown fry. Whether or not it was a cobue egg that she had picked up or a case of a males milt travelling 4 feet to fertilize a saulosi egg will remain a mystery, as i believe that baby got ground up by the filter intake Neutral.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: hi everyone! (redzebra Virginia Beach)   Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:03 am

ah! thats not good. haha. i dont think i've ever had a fish hold without me seeing it. its usually after a water change.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hi everyone! (redzebra Virginia Beach)   

Back to top Go down

hi everyone! (redzebra Virginia Beach)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-