Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Pop Eye (bug eye) and appetite loss, death

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Pop Eye (bug eye) and appetite loss, death   Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:38 pm

Trying to help my brother in law in Ohio. He has a 47gal community tank with Tetras, loaches, and Angels. He's been fighting bulging eyes, appetite loss and fish deaths for a few months. He had his LFS check water several times and keeps coming out perfect. I know this is a bacterial disease, but he keeps having reoccurence after treatments. HHe's been treating with various medications and water changes as directed. When he seems to have cleared up it comes back again. Any Ideas???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pop Eye (bug eye) and appetite loss, death   Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:29 am

There is a ton of things that could cause the Issue. Contaminated nets, hoses, and buckets is where I would start. Clean all accessories that were used in the tank (nets buckets hoses). Is he removing the sick ones to a qt/hospital ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Pop Eye (bug eye) and appetite loss, death   Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:13 pm

@Flippercon wrote:
There is a ton of things that could cause the Issue. Contaminated nets, hoses, and buckets is where I would start. Clean all accessories that were used in the tank (nets buckets hoses). Is he removing the sick ones to a qt/hospital ?

I don't think he does as only has 1 tank. I will check with him. Should he remove pretty much everything clean, and start over? He has treated many times and does not seem to have trouble now. Been two plus weeks. Fish inside now are all healthy. Do you think safe to try and add more?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pop Eye (bug eye) and appetite loss, death   Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:16 pm

I would give It a few more weeks. Also qt/hospital all new fish! Even if he has one tank if the net he uses has the bacteria on it and he doesn't clean it, this presents cross contamination of the bacteria. So I would suggest cleaning all nets buckets and hoses after each use to prevent cross contamination.
Back to top Go down
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Pop Eye (bug eye) and appetite loss, death   Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks Flip

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Pop Eye (bug eye) and appetite loss, death   Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:54 pm

Now problem Ron. Tell your brother to get a 10 gallon for a qt/hospital. a ten gallon runs $10-$20 and he can buy or make a sponge filter for it. I am sure he has spent over $30 in medications so the money for the QT/Hospital is worth the investment. Not to mention medication can be saved by treating a smaller volume of water. So if he treats a 100gallon tank its 1/10 to treat the ten gallon. Hospital/Qts are one of the best investments you can make to keep healthy established tanks while treating injured, sick, or new fish.
Back to top Go down
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Pop Eye (bug eye) and appetite loss, death   Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:50 pm

I agree, I will pass on. thanks for the advice
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pop Eye (bug eye) and appetite loss, death   

Back to top Go down

Pop Eye (bug eye) and appetite loss, death

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Hospital-