Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
John & Joni
CVASMember

PostSubject: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:42 pm

(This is being written by Joni)
John and I are super excited to have found a local group/club dedicated to fishkeeping!
I am a veterinary technician/assistant/everything in-between in the West End area of Richmond. I've been working with small animals, exotics, and livestock for 10+ years. I have literally been involved with fishkeeping for my entire life. Currently we have Cichlids housed in a 20 gallon extra-high filtered with a Marineland 350. Instead of using rocks to build caves and such, I have used dead coral from Atlantis and large seashells that I collected on the beach at the Hatteras point and some smalls from the craft store. Substrate is Tahitian Moon Sand and the background is Van Gogh's "Starry Night" hehe! And never forget my tanklength bubble curtain in the back! John hates it.

John is an automotive technician, and has been for over 15 years, specializing in GM manufactured vehicles. He works at Dominion Chevrolet in Short Pump. He also repairs and rebuilds GM transmissions at home on the side. As well as some general automotive repair and maintenance from home. If you ever need anything car-wise, let us know! He will come to you and if he can't help, he will direct you to someone who can. John is more into saltwater and reef keeping but still loves fresh. I have no experience with saltwater setups. We are planning on starting a salt tank soon!

We both enjoy fishing! We have 3 boats. I caught the state record for the biggest Largemouth caught in the year 2007. We caught a 56 pound Flatheat Catfish this past January in the James River.

So the following is a list of who we have:
1 7 stripe Fontosa
1 Red Blood Parrot
2 Calico Convicts
1 Livingstonii
1 Blue Johanni
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1 Yellow Lab
1 grumpy, bloodthirsty, murdering Gold Gourami
1 pretty Mbuna
John's first Betta, a bright red Crowntail, in his own planted vase
Dogs:
1 partially paralyzed (from an ill-placed Immiticide injection while still in the shelter's care) Bluetick Coonhound 3year old neutered male named Chevy!
1 Beagle & Parson's Russell Terrier @6 year old spayed female named Bubbles!
1 Yorkshire Terrier & Chihuahua 7 year old neutered and opinionated male named Littledog!
1 beauty model Beagle 3 year old spayed female named Andromeda! (Andi for short)

Cats:
1 absolutely amazing Sphynx (hairless), cream with blue points and ice blue eyes, 19 week old kitten named Ramesses
1 black and gold tortoiseshell Domestic Shorthair female spayed @ 4 year old named Hatshepsut
1 dilute (blue and gold) tortoiseshell DSH female spayed 10 month old named Isfet (meaning Chaos in Egyptian)

Others:
1 ridiculous 6-7 year old female spayed white (non albino) ferret named Pickles
1 3 legged toad with no eyes...I accidentally smooshed him with a big horse water tank...almost a year ago. I only inflicted the damage to his left eye that had to be removed. The missing right leg and eye are from previous injury. Took him in to the vet and he had surgery to properly enucleate and close the left eye injury. He eats from my hand.
AAAAND 1 green treefrog that I caught in a port-a-potty. I saw him at a brief visit and after finding a temporary container, went back for him. He wasn't where he had been so I had to look for him...yes. I stuck my head through the doo-doo hole to see if he was stuck on the wall. Don't judge me! I found him by the toilet paper roll...thankfully!

So that's just a little bit about us and our furry, bald, and slimy family. We are looking for a 40 breeder for John's saltwater...and I want a bowfront at least 25 gallons for the Cichlids...I'd be happy with a 30 regular, though...I'm not picky! We plan on attending the upcoming meeting and look forward to meeting our fellow enthusiasts! Pictures coming soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koolaid68
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Hello John & Joni. Welcome to CVAS. We are glad to have you join the forum. We have some great people that love fish and Cichlids too. Make yourself at home. And we love pics, pics and more pics.

I like the fish list that you entered, and i see that we have alot of fish in common. And tell John not to worry, we have some salt lovers on the site too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEd9pbj9MGY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Welcome John and Joni! I love the names of the animals and gotta love GM people Very Happy . Kudos for the catch in 2007 also! We have a really good group of people here so feel free to speak up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:48 pm

wow, hard to top all that. Great to have you, and looking forward to meeting you both.

steves_kiki

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:20 am

Welcome! And I'm glad you saved the lil toads life Smile

Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 am

Welcome to the forum. That is a very impressive list of animals yall have there. I have to agree with Flip it is nice to see a GM person as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:57 am

#1. You have my dream job and list of pets, lol.
#2. I love the bubble wand as well, my better half doesn't! Haha!
#3. Van Gogh's "starry night" is my favorite painting, the idea for the background is absolutely genius, maybe I can convince the bf to let me blow up some Picasso for my 125, lol!!

Hope to meet you both at the next meeting!

mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:16 am

Welcome! And you may want to consider a much larger tank than a 25g to keep that ecliptic group of fish in (think 125g+!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vanilla.exe
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:13 pm

@jenbubs wrote:
#1. You have my dream job and list of pets, lol.

I second this! Welcome to the group!! Sounds like you're around the same area as me.

Cichlid Lover
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Wecome to the forum. We need to talk about my 08 Express van, funny things going on.

John & Joni
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:22 pm

[quote="jenbubs"]#1. You have my dream job and list of pets, lol.

I love what I do...it's not easy-not cute, cuddly puppies and such. Lots of sickness, fractious animals, death, angry and upset owners, and death. Most non-vet staff animal owners are under the impression that we are trying to screw them for money...not so! It literally does not affect my paycheck either way if you choose or decline bloodwork and stuff...I, personally would not offer or suggest anything if I didn't think it was a good choice. But! I get to help, change lives, enjoy and interact with crazy clients. I particularly have an special interest in geriatric animals. Anything I can do or suggest, research new therapies and meds...just simply trimming an older, arthritic dog's nails, trimming the hair away from the paw pads, and applying a moisturizer to the pads to help them get grip on slick floors and help prevent falls and slipping.

I also raise orphaned squirrels! John built a huge enclosure last year so we can better prepare them to be released. Clients bring in random stuff all the time...ya NEVER know what's gonna happen each time the doorbell or phone rings!

#3. Van Gogh's "starry night" is my favorite painting, the idea for the background is absolutely genius, maybe I can convince the bf to let me blow up some Picasso for my 125, lol!!

Go to the craft store and look at the posters! I got the poster of "Starry Night" for $5.00 and cut it to size! Walmart, craft store, whereever sells posters! I was going to do one of Eminem because I liked it...and it was dark and gray and would have made a good background...but John made a face...so I got the nice, thick poster from Ben Franklin!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John & Joni
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:38 pm

@Cichlid Lover wrote:
Wecome to the forum. We need to talk about my 08 Express van, funny things going on.

John has been notified! We will probably be over to your shop this weekend for my birthday! Beeecause someone just gave us a 29 gallon tank! Yay! I'm going to need to make some more shelf space...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John & Joni
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Oh! How do I post pictures?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:06 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Welcome! You've got an impressive list for sure and I'm so glad you found us. Very Happy

Quite a few animal lovers here, not only the fishy type, so we welcome your insight into life with animals of all kinds. We've got giant breed dogs and when they age it can be a challenge, so I'll certainly be picking your brain, Joni, for innovations when the time comes!

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?   

Back to top Go down

Hi. Our names are John and Joni...and we are animal-aholics...?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Introduce Yourself-