Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Red jewels spawn - Advice please ;-)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KGTropicals
CVASMember

PostSubject: Red jewels spawn - Advice please ;-)   Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:42 pm

So i am an African breeder and consider myself fairly knowledgeable in it. However I will admit I have hardly any knowledge whatsoever when it comes to south American breeding.
I found a guy on craigslist getting out of the hobby and bought 7 tanks from him, when we went to pick them up he surprised us with a pair of red jewells that he said was a breeder pair but he was never able to get them to spawn (judging by the condition of his tanks I'm not surprised).Well we've had them for about a month and Lisa found a huge clutch of eggs in the gravel today. Were super excited but admittedly have no clue what to do. My assumption is to let the parents do there thing and watch nature in action but is there anything extra we can do to help? I hatch brine shrimp so there won't be a problem feeding them once (if) they get that far. They have no other fish in the tank with them. They are in a 10 gallon. I know I know I know, they should be in something bigger but gimme a break, until this morning I wasn't even sure we were going to keep them.
So anyway, any advice??
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kgtropicals.com
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Red jewels spawn - Advice please ;-)   Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Sounds like so far so good since they have not eaten them. Had Blue Rams that did that to and they were very protective. I went out right away to buy another tank and move all the other fish out. Had just about finished setting up the new tank and was going to begin transferring when I noticed the eggs missing. The Rams did a good job for two days protecting but alas the fight was lost. Upside though, my wife agreed to let me buy a new 75. Good luck

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Red jewels spawn - Advice please ;-)   Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Substrate spawners are a whole lot different then the mouth brooders. To know if they are fertile they should be colored and not white. After a day or two there should be a black dot in the center of the eggs. You should see tails grow out from the egg and this is where they are considered "wigglers". I recommend using sand substrate if you are going to let the pair take care of the fry. The pair will work together to guard the wigglers. They will move them to little pits around the tank. They are really protective of these fry so any other fish in the tank is a threat and they will kill to protect. From egg stage you have about 10-14 days before they are free swimming. You can take the wigglers out by siphon and raise yourself, or let the pair do their thing. After about 3 weeks from spawn they will kill all or most and the cycle will repeat itself. High protein foods for all. plenty of hiding spots(honeymoon suite) for the female to escape the males passes. The male can be very aggressive to the females so it is important to spread the aggression(dithers/target fish) and feed everyone well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
KGTropicals
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Red jewels spawn - Advice please ;-)   Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks guys, I've had eggs see the same fate (angels) so i guess what I'll do with these is move the parents to another 10 (temporary) and see what the eggs do. It sounds like it'll be similar to raising African eggs, sounds exciting!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kgtropicals.com
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Red jewels spawn - Advice please ;-)   Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

jenbubs
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Red jewels spawn - Advice please ;-)   Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:08 pm

If you move the parents before the eggs hatch, the eggs wont hatch. The parents have to fan them. You have to leave the parents in until they at least become wigglers.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red jewels spawn - Advice please ;-)   

Back to top Go down

Red jewels spawn - Advice please ;-)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-