Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Suggestions   Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:39 pm

** This is for quick suggestions **
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:40 pm

I think we should pick a different theme, I will do some research on the best colors that attract.
Back to top Go down
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:44 pm

No problem at all. I just picked something quick. The logo at the top is going to be our logo for now. So something that compliments that would be nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cvas.forumotion.com/
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:02 pm

It functions and there is no political post lighting up the boards? lol!
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Hospital is up and running. I posted a sticky on answers that should be included in your post so we can help the battered and sick quicker. just a little check list. Please feel free to add to it if you think of it.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:09 pm

There is a note pad in the admin panel. duh lol! I will post suggestions there
Back to top Go down
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Haha I was going to remind you of that.
Back to top Go down
WildWiley
CVASMember

PostSubject: VAS name change   Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:32 pm

What do you think about changing the name to Virginia Aquarium Society and then have in different branches like centeral Virginia southern Virginia
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://housepaintingvirginia.com
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Good Idea. Ben? Liz? Deb? If we can get Northern Virginia involved, Those guys up there have some really good followers.
Back to top Go down
marlboro red
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:53 pm

another suggestion would be to have a list of local fish stores to each area
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marlboro red
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:55 pm

yet another would be a retailer feed back section the pros and cons of each even the online ones
ok ill shut up now
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:27 pm

This are really good suggestions marlboro red. I will work on the tidewater area when I get bqck home.
Back to top Go down
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:49 pm

Yeah I was thinking the same thing should be added when I read koolaid's post. Good call marlboro.

I will get working on this after the meeting tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
marlboro red
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:05 pm

ok your local PIA has a few more lol
how about a general .. general section to cover everything that doesnt fit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marlboro red
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:11 pm

yet another one....how about an IN Need section...ie in need of soeone with a truck to help move XXX gallon tank or what ever.
i get alot of pms on the other sites cause i have a truck lol nothing like comming down 95S with a trailor with a tank and caopy and sump in the bed and a 400 gallo acrylic tank on the trailor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Seems like we need more people in the hobby. As you read the posts from each of you regarding LFS's, there really is very little quality stores in Richmond area. Please don't take offense Mark yours is excluded from that statement. Looks like those of you in the Beach area have some nice opportunities. Even when searching Craigslist there are often more buys in the Norfolk/Beach areas. Big Box stores, and internet have just about killed the small independant that many of us grew up with and bought our first guppy, molly, platy or goldfish from. Sparked just enough fun and fascination to hook us for bigger and more.
Perhaps our club could help sponsor some sort of local event to turn new people on to the hobby. This would foster more people who may wish to give it a try and encourage the retailers to provide more product and livestock.
I spoke with some of the owners at Fins and Feathers, Azalea, and two other stores and was told the market just does not bear the investment on their parts. Too few of customers to make it wothwhile. I'm from Ohio (yes it's true, a Yankee), but there were great fish stores nearly everywhere. Quite a disappointment when I tried to recreate my tanks here.
What a shame

Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 am

@Ron wrote:
Seems like we need more people in the hobby. As you read the posts from each of you regarding LFS's, there really is very little quality stores in Richmond area. Please don't take offense Mark yours is excluded from that statement. Looks like those of you in the Beach area have some nice opportunities. Even when searching Craigslist there are often more buys in the Norfolk/Beach areas. Big Box stores, and internet have just about killed the small independant that many of us grew up with and bought our first guppy, molly, platy or goldfish from. Sparked just enough fun and fascination to hook us for bigger and more.
Perhaps our club could help sponsor some sort of local event to turn new people on to the hobby. This would foster more people who may wish to give it a try and encourage the retailers to provide more product and livestock.
I spoke with some of the owners at Fins and Feathers, Azalea, and two other stores and was told the market just does not bear the investment on their parts. Too few of customers to make it wothwhile. I'm from Ohio (yes it's true, a Yankee), but there were great fish stores nearly everywhere. Quite a disappointment when I tried to recreate my tanks here.
What a shame
We are lucky here in VB to have a few fish stores including AJ. The Craigslist thing is because of the military! If the military wast here we wouldn't have all those great deals on craigslist. The majority of the ads on CL here are from active duty military. The people are here but no one seems to be interested or maybe I am going at it all wrong. Richmond has a lot more followers at the moment and I wish Tidewater would have the following like Central.
Back to top Go down
mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:40 pm

@Flippercon wrote:
@Ron wrote:
What a shame
We are lucky here in VB to have a few fish stores including AJ. The Craigslist thing is because of the military! If the military wast here we wouldn't have all those great deals on craigslist. The majority of the ads on CL here are from active duty military. The people are here but no one seems to be interested or maybe I am going at it all wrong. Richmond has a lot more followers at the moment and I wish Tidewater would have the following like Central.

Up until two days ago, the only community I really knew of was other forums that feed all of the world with the majority being US. I did know their was a DC cichlid club of some sort, but its pretty unlikely that I'd take a ride that distant just to see what's happening.

My suggestion would be to improve the search engine marketing on google, it's dirt cheap but does cost something. Renaming to Virginia Aquarium Society would be a smart logistic move. If I wasn't told it encompassed all the way down here as well, I doubt I would have even bothered clicking on the site if I had never been informed of it. Also the cvas is catchy, but does not say who you are. Spell out the domain name for the web address.

I've done a ton of google searches and can say this has never popped up on my radar. Although saltwater galore would often pop up, even when searching fresh water words.

From selling a few fry is how I meet most people and also how I met Brian. I can say about everyone I've sold to have been enthusiast, non knew of anything better (except Brian) than mega sites. So we took what we got.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Just wanted to put a little background on the Central Virginia Aquarium Society name. We all started as the Virginia Chapter of another site. Some members were saying they didn't want to be included in to 1 group. So there we split in to the Central and Tidewater chapters. The Central has had the stronger following since then and maybe it is because we were the first. Not trying to offend anybody in the Tidewater area. That part never really took off that well. There was definitely interest but the meetings haven't had great turnouts.

The site we were all regulars of has gone down hill so we quickly put this forum together. However we already had the name of CVAS down from prior meetings and decisions. We were not going to even start a forum we were going to have a website. Myself and Brian discussed starting a forum and then I presented it to the board. It was agred upon and then created. Brian has done a great job creating more interest down in the Tidewater area and I hope we can maintain the rate of new members from both areas.

I think changing the name can be discussed at one of the upcoming meetings and we can work from there. Another reason CVAS was used was because of Northern Virginia having the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society(PVAS). So with Tidewater having their group and the northern part having a big following already Central Virginia was a great choice for us.
Back to top Go down
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:07 pm

I belong to the PVAS and I don't mind driving up there from time to time, and I don't feel like I am excluded as not being from the Piedmont area, so right now I like CVAS because it is truly where the club started. We don't show up yet because in internet time our site has been up about 10 minutes. We need to work on tags and other tricks to get our site to pop up on searches -I don't know how to do that but someone does, I'm sure.

I like the idea of getting our full name into the forum name, since when you google CVAS all sorts of organizations come up having nothing to do with fish. However, I don't know how big of a pain this would be at this point.

I've been wanting to start a club for years, at least 10, but finding other hobbyists proved impossible and I abandoned it after scheduling a meeting where I was the only one there.

Now we have the ability to draw other aquarium hobbyists from Richmond and beyond, and I'd like to give things a bit of time. I KNOW there are many people keeping fish tanks in this town and nearby regions, and maybe they would not have posted that tank on Craig's List if they'd had a club and resources to figure out why they couldn't keep their fish alive.

I know Azalea is viscerally opposed to supporting clubs, but maybe we can change that if the owner felt like it was bringing him business and revitalizing his very worthwhile business model. P.A.W. in Lynchburg certainly seemed eager to support us, because they recognize that it is good advertising for them, and people might patronize their store based on our recommendation, driving business their way. The owner of P.A.W. said he could not support an LFS business in Richmond because of the PetSmarts and PetCos, and that's where people always go, even if better prices are available elsewhere.

Bumper stickers and Craig's List notices will go a long way to educate the public about our club, and we can easily take it from there. I know I read bumper stickers, so I think that would be a valuable investment for us. We also might consider ads in online newspapers (mullet wrappers, we used to call them!) like the Henrico Citizen and the Tidewater Review, for instance.

We've also discussed placing an ad in the back of the fish magazines where they list clubs by region. We need to address all these things, and I'm confident we'll sort things out.

We've got some great minds here and I'm excited that folks even HAVE suggestions - that means we've got engaged members who are passionate about the hobby. I'm excited about our future. Very Happy

View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm replying only to the tags part of this thread. We do need to add or change the tags so that we show up in searches better but showing up on google takes a while. It doesn't happen the first day you add tags. So, let's give it a while. It's being looked into now and we will soon see results.

@Liz wrote:
I like CVAS because it is truly where the club started. We don't show up yet because in internet time our site has been up about 10 minutes. We need to work on tags and other tricks to get our site to pop up on searches -I don't know how to do that but someone does, I'm sure.
Well said, Liz.

@Ben wrote:
So with Tidewater having their group and the northern part having a big following already Central Virginia was a great choice for us.
Well said, Ben.

On the east coast, where things are so congested and built up, and where civilization intrudes on every aspect of our lives, I think it is realistic to expect people to drive NO MORE THAN about two hours to a meeting. We are centrally located for them to do that and we need to reflect that in our name.
Very Happy

mpowers
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:05 pm

No worries Liz, I don't know the background, nor am I into politics of such. I'm just thrilled to have something on a local level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm thrilled too, Mike! Very Happy This is a very exciting time and we'll gather some good topics for our next meeting agenda. There are a ton of good ideas here.

View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:20 pm

I for one am pleased with the CVAS name. Although I do not know the tricks of the trade to get us more search engines, I would not oppose using club money to do so. I believe the club is doing a good job of inviting and promoting more people to join, attend, and participate in the meetings and forum. Judging by how quickly the Forum has grown, and such a short time going live, we have done really well. I hate to bring up the "D" word, but I also would not oppose a small membership dues to help defray costs of operations. There has been some excellent ideas at the former meetings, as well as Forum on events we can try to host such as guest speakers, road trips, cookouts, and etc. These help keep us from being stale, but do not do much to promote the industry or ourselves.
As a thought, if some of the LFS's like Azalea not willing to support clubs like ourselves, perhaps they would be willing to simply place our flyers in their stores announcing our meeting, lecture if any, swap meet and or auction.
We could even do something silly like an aquarium wash, filter cleaning, or perhaps have a rescue fish adoption like the humane societies do with dogs and cats. I would think a lot of free advertising would come our way via newspaper or radio when we made an announcement to them of what we are doing. This would be quite the unusual for them, and perhaps tweek their attention. Just food for thought anyway.
A mission statement for the club would go a long way in defining who were are, what we are. and and such. This placed within the forum would possibly help further potential members who may think this is not just a few locals chatting amongst ourselves.
Speaking I know as one, I enjoy the fact of somewhat localization within the club. I consider within a couple hours local. I became far more active when we started our own forum, vs USA Fishbox. The site did little in my opinion to form a bonding, friendship, and even engagement. I think there was members who shared information and willing to try to help, but lacked "big time" what all of you have done, shared, and are willing to commit to each other.
Anyway I seem to be rambling so I'll pipe down a bit, but let's all try to keep things fresh, commit to new ideas for growth, and continue bonding as friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:26 pm

You have some good ideas there Ron. These definitely need to be discussed more in depth.

For now I want to turn the focus to tags. If anybody has any ideas on getting more tags out there please let me know. I have added and changed them trying to do more for advertising. There may be some tricks out there that I don't know much about that maybe somebody could help with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions   

Back to top Go down

Suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Community :: Suggestions and Questions-