Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Your thoughts please...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KGTropicals
CVASMember

PostSubject: Your thoughts please...   Mon May 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey everyone,
So here's the deal. As you probably already know Lisa and I are working hard to take our passion for keeping and breeding African Cichlids from being a hobby to a business. We've spent every extra minute (with 5 kids it isn't easy) and every extra penny (again with 5 kids it isn't easy lol) on this endeavor. If there is one thing I know for certain there is ALWAYS something going on in the fish room, either a fish emergency, a new mama (that's what we call it when we find a holding female ha ha), a new rack that needs to be built, females that need to be stripped, fry that need to be released from the tumbler etc etc etc. With there never being a dull moment in there and with us constantly finding things to do to improve our operation and progress our business I had an idea.
As if I don't already have enough on my plate I thought it would be fun to start a blog and document our trials and tribulations in building a business. I'm not talking about a daily thing, that would be to much and it would most likely be hard to find new things to write about. I'm thinking a weekly update on our progress. I figure it will be great for readers who have an interest in breeding or just fish keeping in general.
I guess the question is, would this be something you could see yourself reading every week? Be honest, if its something you would have no interest in at all tell me, I don't only want responses from people who's answer is yes. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kgtropicals.com
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Mon May 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Most definitely would. You guys are moving forward with great success and I am sure there are set backs. Learning about the different experiences and what was done to fix and improve the process. I'm sure with 100+ tanks everyone could benefit from a blog Count me in Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Mon May 07, 2012 8:49 pm

heck yeah! that'd be sweet! its always good to learn from others and what better way than a blog??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frodo11
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Tue May 08, 2012 12:29 am

I'd be real interested in reading ... be like being back in b-school ... a case study but about something that I'm interested in ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Tue May 08, 2012 12:43 am

I would also be interested. Although I don't breed fish, I like to read about as well as learn new ideas or what may not have been such a good idea. You both are really impressing me with what you have accomplished and I'm always interested in your sharing about your tanks and projects.

Good Luck

Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Tue May 08, 2012 6:12 am

hey Ron, do you keep African Cichlids? if so, i dont imagine a very long time going by before you start breeding. many people become obsessed and it is a very fun hobby Smile! another question.. what is the pic of the fish in your profile pic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Tue May 08, 2012 10:52 am

This has the potential to be a good read and a great learning tool. One or two things I would suggest is that you keep the entries fairly short - long paragraph-style - and punctuate the text with photos at frequent intervals. If you keep it on topic - that is, your stated goal of the trials of starting a business - you will attract lots of readers. I myself would not be interested in a blog about cichlids (as such) but I definitely WOULD be interested in reading about your daily routines, experiments, trials, troubles, mishaps, successes, victories, etc. about launching a business out of your garage.

Where were you thinking of blogging?
Very Happy

KGTropicals
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Tue May 08, 2012 11:04 am

That i couldn't tell you yet, I was just kicking the tires on the concept and then find a good place for the blog, any suggestions on a site Deb?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kgtropicals.com
Ron
SupportTeam

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Tue May 08, 2012 11:08 am

@Robby wrote:
hey Ron, do you keep African Cichlids? if so, i dont imagine a very long time going by before you start breeding. many people become obsessed and it is a very fun hobby Smile! another question.. what is the pic of the fish in your profile pic?

The Avatar is a Tropheops Red Head Macrophthalmus, sometimes known as Red Cheek or Big Eye. I do keep Africans, I have a 75 Mbuna and 90 Peacock. No room now for breeder tanks so both just set up for show. Here's a better view of the Red Head

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Tue May 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Liz has one on Blogspot, a blogging tool by google.
It's her signature and you can see it here:
http://lizsaquariumblog.blogspot.com/

My friend from another site, Dusko, also uses blogspot, here:
http://www.aquariumpoetry.blogspot.com/

Blogspot is the only one I know of but it seems to work well for people.
You might like it. Very Happy

Robby
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Tue May 08, 2012 4:21 pm

man that thing is awesome! im gonna have to get one of those!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JayT
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Thu May 10, 2012 8:26 am

That Tropheops is awesome.

KGT, I think it would be nice to read something along those lines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
koolaid68
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   Thu May 10, 2012 6:58 pm

I would be interested in the blog KG. A weekly review of everything going on with 100+ tanks, full of fish mating, fry stripping, fry growing up, learning about the different equipment you are using, and perfecting some of your techniques. And not to mention pics, Pics, and MORE PICS!!! (I am almost feeling like this was a trick question) Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEd9pbj9MGY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts please...   

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts please...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Care and Reproduction :: Breeding-