Central Virginia Aquarium Support

Central Virginia Aquarium Support is a discussion and help group for aquarium hobbyists, newcomer to advanced!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
... Welcome to Central Virginia Aquarium Support! ... ... Here you can discuss anything aquarium related - meet interesting folks - find equipment and trade fish! ... ... "What's Going On?" Click for a list of Local Meetings and Events ... ... *Latest fish article!* Figure-8 Puffer Article ... ... *Latest plants article!* Dwarf Hygro Article ... ... MEMBERS SHOWCASE see The HOME Page! ...

Share | 

Water Level

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
frodo11
CVASMember

PostSubject: Water Level   Sat May 12, 2012 2:11 pm

I have a 36 gallon bow front tank, black plastic frame along the top … how high should I fill the tank with water? To the bottom of the frame? Above the bottom of the frame? A bit below the bottom of the frame?

Thanks, I appreciate your response and suggestions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flippercon
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Water Level   Sat May 12, 2012 3:25 pm

This is a matter of preference. I like to fill my tanks up as much as possible before the brace or lid is visible at the surface of the water. Just do not let the levels get lower then the impellers or intakes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/flippercon84?feature=guide
Deb
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Water Level   Sat May 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Another consideration is the noise of the water returning to the tank. It's not an issue with a canister, but with most HOBs if the water level drops at all, there will be constant splashing which can either be nice or noisy (depending what you like.)

Also, do you have fish or other creatures which will benefit from the dropped water level? For example, I have a large fishbowl with freshwater shrimp. I keep the water line well below the top because shrimp love to climb out and will, if you give them the chance.
Very Happy

KGTropicals
CVASMember

PostSubject: Re: Water Level   Sat May 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Another thing to think about is if you have the glass lids that sit right on the frame and you fill it to much (touching the glass) the tank has nowhere to off gas and believe it or not you can actually suffocate the fish. Kinda the same concept as sitting in a closed garage with the car running.
I fill my tanks that have hob filters just high enough where the water flowing out of the filter doesn't splash. I fill tanks that have sponge filters about a half inch shy of the trim so that the bubbles from the filter don't splash out of the back of the tank.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kgtropicals.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water Level   

Back to top Go down

Water Level

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Virginia Aquarium Support :: Equipment and Tank Setups :: Tank Setups and Layout-